Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

Guest HTT II

Antonio is such a well rounded centre-forward, we need someone like him in our team. His pace, pressing, power, work ethic and his ability to find his teammates with clever chest downs and flicks is very impressive. 

WHU have a decent team and Moyes has done a great job there. Rice is the real deal too, he’s great to watch and Bowen is becoming a top player too. I hope they go on to win it.

I am/would be happy for both West Ham and Leicester, in isolation, but I find the extent of the Premier League's apparent dominance in Europe a bit depressing. Sign of the times when a good-not-great English team is beating the likes of Sevilla before hammering Lyon on their own patch; teams I associate as being truly formidable. Maybe I'm just out of touch and these sorts of results aren't new, but I just worry for the decreasing variety in European football. 

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Fantastic night of football. Been flicking between West Ham, Frankfurt and Rangers games.

The Europa League gets stick, but it always serves up some decent ties and games. I’d love European nights to return to SJP.

Guest HTT II

Rangers going through then, a good night for British football.

Edited by HTT II

Rangers with a huge win, but personally think this ref’s been afraid of the Ibrox crowd. Roofe arguably could have been shown a second yellow for a reckless tackle, but wasn’t and scored moments later. You can see them beating Leipzig if they knocked out Dortmund, too. Could be a Rangers vs West Ham final. It will be a real test of the ‘Scottish big teams would suffer in EPL’ theory,

33 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I am/would be happy for both West Ham and Leicester, in isolation, but I find the extent of the Premier League's apparent dominance in Europe a bit depressing. Sign of the times when a good-not-great English team is beating the likes of Sevilla before hammering Lyon on their own patch; teams I associate as being truly formidable. Maybe I'm just out of touch and these sorts of results aren't new, but I just worry for the decreasing variety in European football. 

I broadly agree but I don't think Leicester and especially West Ham are particularly strong evidence of the PL's financial might overwhelming others. West Ham (incredibly) have just recruited really well and are extremely well coached by Moyes.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

I broadly agree but I don't think Leicester and especially West Ham are particularly strong evidence of the PL's financial might overwhelming others. West Ham (incredibly) have just recruited really well and are extremely well coached by Moyes.

…but they’ve still massively outspent Lyon in terms of transfer fees and wages. It’s much easier to recruit well if you can outspend your competitors year in and year out. They just can’t outspend their competitors in the Premier League.

Guest HTT II
8 hours ago, leffe186 said:

…but they’ve still massively outspent Lyon in terms of transfer fees and wages. It’s much easier to recruit well if you can outspend your competitors year in and year out. They just can’t outspend their competitors in the Premier League.

They have, but because of the money in the PL, it’s harder for clubs to succeed on small or medium budgets because clubs get overcharged on players, even from abroad. What French clubs in particular are good at is developing you, playing the and getting good money from them.

WHU have recruited well under Moyes, he’s always had an eye for a decent player that fits his style and he’s usually good at getting consistent performances from them and also improving them. He did it at Everton and is replicating that with WHU.

He’s turned his career around from looking like a total washed up PFM to one of the better managers outside the obvious candidates.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Nicetobeout said:

30,000 Frankfurt fans in the Nou Camp! Biggest ever away following in Europe? 

Nah, that was the mackems in Milan…

35 minutes ago, HTT II said:

They have, but because of the money in the PL, it’s harder for clubs to succeed on small or medium budgets because clubs get overcharged on players, even from abroad. What French clubs in particular are good at is developing you, playing the and getting good money from them.

WHU have recruited well under Moyes, he’s always had an eye for a decent player that fits his style and he’s usually good at getting consistent performances from them and also improving them. He did it at Everton and is replicating that with WHU.

He’s turned his career around from looking like a total washed up PFM to one of the better managers outside the obvious candidates.

Agreed, but the point still stands. Contrasting West Ham and Lyon (for example) is strong evidence of the PL’s financial might overwhelming others.

Just looking at transfer fees (leaving wages aside) Lyon have had to recoup large fees every year by selling their better players to…the PL. For the last few years they have had a net transfer surplus. West Ham have been able to spend large sums on players year in and year out. If someone doesn’t quite pan out they can afford to suck up a major loss and move on due partly to the large amount of TV money the PL brings in.

Barcelona president Joan Laporta told his club's television channel: "Frankly what happened makes me feel embarrassed and ashamed. There were many fans of the other team and not many of ours.

"I'm very sorry for what has happened.

"What we can avoid are certain situations but as of now, we will have to be much more strict. We can't allow these situations to happen."

How did this actually happen, @Village Idiot?

Guest HTT II
16 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Agreed, but the point still stands. Contrasting West Ham and Lyon (for example) is strong evidence of the PL’s financial might overwhelming others.

Just looking at transfer fees (leaving wages aside) Lyon have had to recoup large fees every year by selling their better players to…the PL. For the last few years they have had a net transfer surplus. West Ham have been able to spend large sums on players year in and year out. If someone doesn’t quite pan out they can afford to suck up a major loss and move on due partly to the large amount of TV money the PL brings in.

Oh aye, I’m not disagreeing, the wealth in the PL is insane, but it has to be for the likes of WHU just to compete with say a Lyon never mind anyone else in their own league. I’d love it to be level playing field across the world, where it comes down to producing talent and good coaching. In an even greater sense, what Rangers have achieved is brilliant and a bigger story than WHU or should be.

On 14/04/2022 at 11:04, Kanji said:

how does Pep taking nandrolone as a player have anything to do with him as manager? Did you forget the time Simeone threw himself to the ground to get Beckham sent off in 98? I’m certain both did a bunch of shit as players that is completely irrelevant to their managerial careers. Now if they cheat as managers, bring that up. 

:lol: Always outraged Triggs. Gotta hand it to you. 

I wasn't the outraged one at all. Some people just need a bit of perspective at times before calling Atleti a disgrace.

What does doping as a player have to do with being a manager? :lol: you might have noticed Man City can run at an unbelievable intensity with no let up for 50 games a season. All above board I'm sure

Luton are doing absolutely brilliantly. Fantastic to see them up there and such a turnaround from last season. 

Cooper also done a heck of a job with Forest. Would back them in the playoffs for sure.

I'll be watching the Bournemouth v Middlesbrough game, KO at 3. Interested to see how Lloyd Kelly does. One of the many we've been linked with.

Edited by Mazzy