Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

Guest HTT II

Liverpool’s cycle has come to an end, they need to rebuild, to be starting Henderson and Milner away to Man Utd says a lot. I thought Man Utd were decent, but Liverpool were awful, Salah scored but he was anonymous mostly, Firminho looks finished, VVD had a bit of a mare and Trent is so poor defensively. How many times did their ‘keeper kick it to no-one or out of play as well. To have kept pace with City for what 3-4 years now has been exceptional, once winning the title, but they now need to rebuild an ageing squad. I’ve said it a few times, Mane was so Important to them and they will realise that this season. I fancy Spurs and Arsenal to finish above them. Man Utd, despite their win, are still poor.

Edited by HTT II

21 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Liverpool’s cycle has come to an end, they need to rebuild, to be starting Henderson and Milner away to Man Utd says a lot. I thought Man Utd were decent, but Liverpool were awful, Salah scored but he was anonymous mostly, Firminho looks finished, VVD had a bit of a mare and Trent is so poor defensively. How many times did their ‘keeper kick it to no-one or out of play as well. To have kept pace with City for what 3-4 years now has been exceptional, once winning the title, but they now need to rebuild an ageing squad. I’ve said it a few times, Mane was so Important to them and they will realise that this season. I fancy Spurs and Arsenal to finish above them. Man Utd, despite their win, are still poor.

Have you seen their injury list? 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Flip said:

Have you seen their injury list? 

That’s what happens when the PEDs stop working…

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

They’re still a top 4 squad, but have some dents in the armour that weren’t  previously there. Mane was a huge piece of their attack, agree with you there.  

Last night might see them spend before the month is out and add depth for CL, to maintain league position, etc.

All they seem to do is diagonal balls all game long. They don't seem to be creating many clear cut chances either, even against Palace before the sending off I can't remember them really testing the keeper. 

Was the same in the finals they played in last season, and even against Wolves on the final day they were poor. Obviously underlying issues when you constantly concede first too. I'm still annoyed we played them at 12:30 in April, we didn't really get going.

From reading RAWK, a lot of them think VVD hasn't been the same since his injury, which I suppose is fair enough. But think Carragher nailed it last night - he almost defends with (justified) arrogance. The goal in Champions League final, the penalty v Mitro, Zaha's goal all could be blamed to him. Last night was absolutely shambolic defending - Bruno literally was pointing for about 5 minutes to Sancho where to put it. Seemed to have the ball for what seemed like an age.

Also would 100% be playing James ahead of Alexander-Arnold in the World Cup. TAA is a fantastic footballer, but the system at Liverpool suits him perfectly. He's never a right-back in a million years, he just plays there. Hopefully ASM has a game like Sunday next Wednesday as we have half a chance if so.

Although saying all that, I'd still fancy them to get to latter stages of Champions League and push Man City relatively close in the league. We're all pretty guilty of being dramatic when it comes to football, they could easily win their next 4 comfortably. 

3 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

TAA without his crossing ability isn't that great.  IMO of course

Tend to agree. His vision and passing ability is absolutely up there in world football. He sees things before they develop, much like De Bruyne. But it's crazy how often he's exposed as a defender. I'm surprised they've never shifted VVD to RCB to try and help, although I think Konate missing probably doesn't help at the moment.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Love it, hope you enjoyed last night.

Massively so, but not getting carried away. Liverpool were depleted and they still controlled large parts of the game. 

I just hope it's a sign of things to come in regards to desire and effort. I think Malacia effectively ended Shaw's Man United career last night. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Tend to agree. His vision and passing ability is absolutely up there in world football. He sees things before they develop, much like De Bruyne. But it's crazy how often he's exposed as a defender. I'm surprised they've never shifted VVD to RCB to try and help, although I think Konate missing probably doesn't help at the moment.

But his vision doesn't excuse this. Unless you are a prime Messi or Ronaldo, you don't get away with this. Fairly confident, De Bruyne would have done a better job of defending in that position. That should cost him his position in the world cup squad. 

Lot of issues that you all have covered for the most part. Diaz is an excellent player, but he is still developing and is not offering the physicality and threat of Mane upfront. Henderson and Milner shouldn't be starting games. Elliott and Carvalho are excellent youngsters, but they shouldn't be held responsible for holding our midfield together. Salah seems to be modeling his career based on becoming less talented Cristiano Ronaldo variant. As in not offering a lot other than scoring goals. We are definitely at the end of the cycle as @HTT II pointed out and kept it a bit too late to refresh.

Once Thiago, Jota, Nunez is back we should be fine. By fine, I mean competing for the top 4. 

VVD has not been great, but I think once we replace Keita, and Ox and get more reliable midfielders both he and TAA should look OK. To me, the problem is the midfield. Two to three years ago, we had a younger Henderson, Milner, Gini, and Fabinho running around, pressing and hunting down every loose ball and offering a lot of protection to the defenders. We don't have that anymore which is exposing VVD and TAA. We definitely underestimated the scale of overhauling the squad in the short term, but I still trust our transfer committee to find solutions by next summer. I feel if we fix our midfield, a lot of the problems will be solved. 

As for Klopp looking clueless in post-match, his default mode when we lose or draw is to complain about the opposition being too defensive. Hated it when he or any other manager did that. He can't use that now as in three games; the opposition has gegenpressed us into submission. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I think TAA will eventually moved into central midfield. 

11 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

But his vision doesn't excuse this. Unless you are a prime Messi or Ronaldo, you don't get away with this. Fairly confident, De Bruyne would have done a better job of defending in that position. That should cost him his position in the world cup squad. 

Lot of issues that you all have covered for the most part. Diaz is an excellent player, but he is still developing and is not offering the physicality and threat of Mane upfront. Henderson and Milner shouldn't be starting games. Elliott and Carvalho are excellent youngsters, but they shouldn't be held responsible for holding our midfield together. Salah seems to be modeling his career based on becoming less talented Cristiano Ronaldo variant. As in not offering a lot other than scoring goals. We are definitely at the end of the cycle as @HTT II pointed out and kept it a bit too late to refresh.

Once Thiago, Jota, Nunez is back we should be fine. By fine, I mean competing for the top 4. 

VVD has not been great, but I think once we replace Keita, and Ox and get more reliable midfielders both he and TAA should look OK. To me, the problem is the midfield. Two to three years ago, we had a younger Henderson, Milner, Gini, and Fabinho running around, pressing and hunting down every loose ball and offering a lot of protection to the defenders. We don't have that anymore which is exposing VVD and TAA. We definitely underestimated the scale of overhauling the squad in the short term, but I still trust our transfer committee to find solutions by next summer. I feel if we fix our midfield, a lot of the problems will be solved. 

As for Klopp looking clueless in post-match, his default mode when we lose or draw is to complain about the opposition being too defensive. Hated it when he or any other manager did that. He can't use that now as in three games; the opposition has gegenpressed us into submission. 

Christ, forgot about the first two. :lol: I think many in here did too. You'll be sniffing around top 4, agree with that. 

15 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Diaz is an excellent player, but he is still developing

Dude is 25 already and has 30 something games for you under his belt. How much further do you think he can develop? 

Guest HTT II
28 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I think TAA will eventually moved into central midfield. 

He doesn’t have the all-round game, he’s a very good player, but he’s a quarter-back…

Trent was shocking for the Sancho goal but van Dijk should absolutely be rushing out for that. No idea why he thinks taking up the exact same position as Alisson and blocking his view is a good idea. Rush the ball and trust your keeper is the order of the day there.