Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

4 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Stadium, first team, academy, women’s

Over a time span of how many years. Seems odd to add to reported purchase price if you ask me. Out owners will no doubt spend that sort of money or more in the next decade, but the reported price at which they acquired NUFC will still (rightly) be reported as 300m.

15 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Suddenly realised that when we've been bemoaning the death of the game, some of us have been talking about different things. :lol: 

I fucking hate all that fan experience shite. The Germans have it right, that's the direction I'd want the game to go in.

I just meant the experience of going to the game, being treated like a human being who deserves good customer service. 

Like I said, if you prefer the traditional football experiment that’s also valid. 

51 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Over a time span of how many years. Seems odd to add to reported purchase price if you ask me. Out owners will no doubt spend that sort of money or more in the next decade, but the reported price at which they acquired NUFC will still (rightly) be reported as 300m.

Very odd indeed. Like it’s being reported as a total all-in investment basis. Which to me, shows the inflated nature of this price. There isn’t anything Market about it at all tbh. A commitment of capital outlay in that terms being part of the price just seems like fancy / roundabout way to justify the enormous price. 

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

I'd guess because guaranteeing that spend is part of the conditions of the sale, so it is part of the price.

Our owners could have bought us for £300m and not had to spend a single other penny on infrastructure or anything else if they chose not to. I.e. the £300m alone satisfies the seller's demands.

When Americans take over Premiership clubs, I always wonder whether they've really digested how difficult it is to get a return on your investment, or just break even, and how big the risk is of losing loads. In their major league sports, there are all sorts of protection for owners - salary caps, draft procedures to ensure a more even distribution of talent - and more significant - none of the huge financial implications of getting relegated or losing out on Champions League places. 

17 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Suddenly realised that when we've been bemoaning the death of the game, some of us have been talking about different things. :lol: 

I fucking hate all that fan experience shite. The Germans have it right, that's the direction I'd want the game to go in.

:thup: Dilutes the atmosphere and attracts a different kind of fan, imo.

12 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The existence of those ‘fans’ are why local sporting institutions like football clubs now sell for stupid money.  To most supporters who actually attend, ‘fan experiences’, shiny merchandise, etc are utterly meaningless because the pleasure comes from a tribal sense of togetherness, not because the club shop has shiny trinkets.  Some of the best fan ‘experiences’ I’ve had have been in crumbling shitholes.  Some of the worst in shiny superdomes.  You’re in the place for a couple of hours, the vast majority of which is spent staring at a green rectangle.  I’ve rarely been arsed about the fact that the half time bar is decked out to the standards normally reserved for upmarket restaurants. 

The tribal thing is why clubs in English football’s fourth tier can pull five-figure attendances.  That’s how several clubs who have literally won nowt - ever - and don’t even have large supporter bases (Watford, Palace, Brentford etc) can be in the ‘majors’ whilst huge clubs with great histories and sizeable catchment areas can languish outside of it.  The US is so culturally different, yet because it is anglophone many assume it is somehow more alike.  I’d no sooner want to adopt the US sports model in the UK than I’d expect to tell the average American how they should change their sporting institutions.  I fundamentally don’t understand it, and it isn’t really any of my business. 

This is why college football is the best US sport.

The deal marks Chelsea's first official move into the crypto market, weeks after Liverpool were linked with picking another such firm to replace their main shirt sponsor, Standard Chartered, and after Manchester United made a deal with blockchain group Tezos

Shock that Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U have all went in on Crypto Con. [emoji38]

Just now, ManDoon said:

He’s right though. It’s the best by a mile imo. 

Well the US has always been a bit odd for sport....

Baseball....a fancy game of rounders 

Football (NFL, not real football)....Rugby with armour

NASCAR...a faster version of WEC/Touring with cars that can only turn in one direction

Indycar....F1 on the cheap

Hockey/Ice Hockey....please

Basketball...expensive netball, but can actually see why this might appeal

Think having a higher population over there inflates the value of some of those

3 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Well the US has always been a bit odd for sport....

Baseball....a fancy game of rounders 

Football (NFL, not real football)....Rugby with armour

NASCAR...a faster version of WEC/Touring with cars that can only turn in one direction

Indycar....F1 on the cheap

Hockey/Ice Hockey....please

Basketball...expensive netball, but can actually see why this might appeal

Think having a higher population over there inflates the value of some of those

smile-coach.gif

On 12/05/2022 at 07:37, gjohnson said:

Can open.....worms everywhere

Nah, it's the best. First video is context for the 3rd part of the second video (the Iowa wave) that's for the team I support and where I went to school.  

Edited by bobloblaw

On 08/05/2022 at 12:47, Abacus said:

I'd guess because guaranteeing that spend is part of the conditions of the sale, so it is part of the price.

Our owners could have bought us for £300m and not had to spend a single other penny on infrastructure or anything else if they chose not to. I.e. the £300m alone satisfies the seller's demands.

Does it help them spend that money without FFP coming into effect?

1 hour ago, loki679 said:

Aren't they already losing £150m a season or something stupid?  How can they sustain that?

More to the point, how have they got away with it for FFP?

Last accounts showed £145m losses, despite winning the CL. They’re only currently kept afloat by the fact they are “reliant on Fordstam Limited for its continued financial support” (from Chelsea’s own accounts). The company is owned by Roman Abramovich, and has indicated it will continue to support the club “for the foreseeable future” (whilst he still owns the club).

Edited by Manxst

16 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Last accounts showed £145m losses, despite winning the CL. They’re only currently kept afloat by the fact they are “reliant on Fordstam Limited for its continued financial support” (from Chelsea’s own accounts). The company is owned by Roman Abramovich, and has indicated it will continue to support the club “for the foreseeable future” (whilst he still owns the club).

Right, but FFP allows losses of £105m over three years iirc so how are they not being slapped with transfer bans and points deductions?