Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

15 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yeah, I’m with you. I am scratching my head on how they actually make money from this. The conclusion I came to is they are betting on the premier league to continue to grow and despite any annual losses the value of the club offsets it plus profit. 

Worst case scenario, list it on an exchange and let retail hold the bag? It’s what VC does. 

If it's not forming a super league then the only way they can make a return is through the Premier League forming it it's own production company and selling directly to consumers, similar to Netflix. Either way, our league is going to be screwed in a few years time as whatever changes will happen the top clubs will receive an even greater % of the income, particularly with increased American ownership.

People talk about PIF taking a steady approach to building the club, if I was in PIFs position then I'd go all out now and stretch the limits of FFP by the end of next summer to ensure Newcastle are at the table when future changes are discussed. 

1 minute ago, macphisto said:

If it's not forming a super league then the only way they can make a return is through the Premier League forming it it's own production company and selling directly to consumers, similar to Netflix. Either way, our league is going to be screwed in a few years time as whatever changes will happen the top clubs will receive an even greater % of the income, particularly with increased American ownership.

People talk about PIF taking a steady approach to building the club, if I was in PIFs position then I'd go all out now and stretch the limits of FFP by the end of next summer to ensure Newcastle are at the table when future changes are discussed. 

This is a really good point.

I also expect there to be another big push for an ESL and I wonder whether our owners would be in for that. I kind of suspect they would but fan resistance might sway them against it. 

Just now, LV said:

This is a really good point.

I also expect there to be another big push for an ESL and I wonder whether our owners would be in for that. I kind of suspect they would but fan resistance might sway them against it. 

Slight tweaks to the ESL format with more open promotion and relegation would get it through in my opinion. Arsenal/Spurs would be the Norwich of the ESL in being yoyo clubs:lol:

3 hours ago, Abacus said:

Abramovich bought Chelsea prior to FFP (2003?), and I think much of the loan was incurred prior to those rules coming in.

In any case, FFP is based on losses over the most recent 3 year period, rather than the whole length of time of an ownership so it's not that relevant.

In theory, though, writing off the £1.5 bn does make them a more valuable asset. But there's no indication he was calling in the loan anyway and besides, even if the value of the club as an asset goes up, it makes no difference to FFP anyway.

Though, I'd be interested to see how they account for the debt write off - I'm assuming it would have to be done below the line, rather than as a direct profit.

Regardless, in their shoes, I'd be more worried that they regularly lose money anyway. Longer term, they won't be such big spenders any more I'd guess.

Imagine where they'd be if they hadn't had the chance to inject £1.5bn of shady Russian money into their coffers. All those CL finishes and still they are losing money? Hope they drop like a stone personally.

35 minutes ago, TRon said:

Imagine where they'd be if they hadn't had the chance to inject £1.5bn of shady Russian money into their coffers. All those CL finishes and still they are losing money? Hope they drop like a stone personally.

They reportedly lost nearly £150m last year.

Despite them blaming Covid for around £100m of that, the underlying position still doesn't seem terribly healthy to me.

Especially since their own website records them as losing just over £96m in the year before Covid.

I'm sure it's all absolutely fine though.

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The game is going ESL sooner or later. It will happen in increments but it will happen.

Faster, greener air travel to make games in Asia and the US more palatable and UEFA’s hand still on the tiller - once those two line up, totally agree.

On 25/05/2022 at 14:24, Manxst said:

Found it:

“The lender’s co-founder Joe Ravitch was quoted in the Financial Times saying he expected the near $4 billion valuation of the club to more than double in the next five years.

“My guess is that Chelsea and all of the top Premier League clubs will probably be worth in excess of $10 billion in five years,” he told the newspaper.

Kishner agreed that, while the price might look eye-watering compared with any deal that has gone before, a sense of long-term perspective was required.

"These clubs have a history of just appreciating in value,” he added, “at the time the deal is done it's like, ‘oh, my goodness, how can anybody in their right mind pay that much money for a football team?’ Fast forward 10 years? And it's like, ‘wow, that was a great deal.’

“You're probably going to pay more because it's such an iconic franchise. But ultimately, I suspect in the long term the owner is going to do rather well.” 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakgarnerpurkis/2022/04/28/chelsea-fc-10-billion-future-valuation-suggests-big-changes-to-the-english-game/amp/

“Iconic Franchise”

urgh

Well I suppose they've become iconic in the last 20 years or so. I remember when Jack Walker tried to make Blackburn an iconic club, it lasted about 5 years.

It amazes how the club that led us to where we are, that broke the relationship between significance and ambition, that was built on stolen funds, money laundering and corruption at the highest governmental levels, that gave succour to and even emboldened the villain who invaded Ukraine causing death and suffering not experienced in Europe for a generation gets away with it

1 hour ago, Yassassin said:

It amazes how the club that led us to where we are, that broke the relationship between significance and ambition, that was built on stolen funds, money laundering and corruption at the highest governmental levels, that gave succour to and even emboldened the villain who invaded Ukraine causing death and suffering not experienced in Europe for a generation gets away with it

Very well written, but it isn't the fault of Chelsea fans.  You have to remember that Abramovich, nor Russia won't receive any of that money.

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

Very well written, but it isn't the fault of Chelsea fans.  You have to remember that Abramovich, nor Russia won't receive any of that money.

Well they should since they basically bankrolled Chelsea's rise to the top.

8 hours ago, Yassassin said:

I blame the kids. Too busy being pesky online.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

Were we consulted for our approval?

You know, since all the top clubs got butt hurt that they weren't consulted for vetoing our takeover?

Boris OK’d it so it’s all good…

Guest neesy111
1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

Talk of a Liverpool model going forward.

Has to, they are completely unsustainable.