Everton 1 - 0 Newcastle United (17/03/2022)

Yorkie

17 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

How is it childish when literally 90 percent of the comments are about the way the guy looks lol? You can literally see one above? “He stinks/incel/greasy guy/virgin/geek” you genuinely think that isn’t a factor? Gotta say it’s particularly funny coming from some, who are no oil painting. 

You either don’t know what LARP means or you’re being disingenuous. Larp is pretending to be something. Once you literally tie yourself to a post how is that larping?

The George Floyd protests?! The ones that caused a ton of outrage and civil damages to property? You can’t be serious. They pissed off nearly everybody. 

I mean this in the nicest way I can, but I thought you were much more switched on than this MD. 

It's childish that you would suggest that those are the reasons I would have a problem with it. You put the question directly to me, not other people.

It's LARPing because it not only serves no strategic purpose - bringing about change, gaining support, solidarity, and numbers - but it's actually counterproductive to most of those objectives. If the true point of protesting is pissing people off and turning them against your cause under the guise of 'raising awareness' or making yourself feel better because you've 'done something' then I stand corrected, he's not a LARPer. 

Yes, the George Floyd protests - the protests that 1. Largely targeted the right areas (the police, capital, and property) and 2. resulted in widespread reform. Just because people were pissed off about them, doesn't mean they targeted people. The people who were pissed off in that situation were collateral, the people pissed off last night were the target.

Edited by Kid Icarus

20 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I thought you were. If you sincerely don’t think the way he looks affects the public opinion I genuinely do not know what to say. There is direct evidence in this thread.  A 21 year old kid essentially, being called all sorts.

Then he’s not a larper by any definition, he actually did something, he didn’t sit on a laptop pretending to. You’re claiming he had no real beliefs (LARP) because you didn’t like the method of protest. 

https://nypost.com/2020/05/30/george-floyd-protests-shut-down-major-nyc-highways/amp/

I would personally class the closing of major roads as targeting the public. And there is nothing wrong with that imo. A match being delayed by 10 mins is so ridiculously minor. 

I don't know how I can put this more plainly because I feel like I've already made it obvious, but you were asking me if those were my reasons. :lol: 

If 'actually doing something' is your defining characterstic of the purpose of protesting then godspeed, but it's not mine. For that reason I think it was LARPer activism, big deal. His beliefs have nothing to do with it, I've no doubt he believes in the cause, that doesn't mean I don't think his form of protest is infantile and counterproductive. 

Yeah, of course there was public disruption during the George Floyd protests, but that's not what I was talking about. I would have hoped that when I said 'they largely targeted the right areas - the police, capital, and property' that I'd made that clear like.  

Edited by Kid Icarus

Personally don’t have any issue with him overall, I’m supportive of their mission in principle but I was a bit pissed off that it broke up to the rhythm even more of what was already a shit game. I found the whole thing hilarious and although I wouldn’t want it becoming commonplace I tend to enjoy the odd thing like this kicking off. The bolt cutters were just the cherry on top 

It was a better attempt at a protest than the XR lot turning up at the Ministry this week.

What you protesting against? 

Oil and Gas

So you're protesting the people who produce and sell them, right?

No, but we've noticed Barclays invest in those companies.

So you're protesting Barclays, right?

No, we've noticed the government use Barclays to send out benefits and tax payments.
So you're protesting the government then?
No not exactly. We're protesting a local branch office in a region historically ignored by the government.

That'll show 'em

30 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

But it factually isn’t LARP if the action takes place, I’m not sure how you can paint it that way. If you think it’s infantile that’s your opinion, doesn’t mean it’s a LARP. The perfect protest doesn’t exist.

Yeah that’s not the case though is it, they didn’t largely do that at all, a lot were public targeted and that’s fine imo. Do you think blocking the freeway was bad then? By your own contentions it was? I’m 99 percent sure a lot of people on here were up for match day disruption at SJP?

There’s this weird almost sneering these days at anyone who does anything, I find it very weird. Nothing he could have done wouldn’t have been met with the same sneering. People simultaneously want young people to vote, then rip them to shreds for any political demonstrations. The fact it’s being discussed right now, means it worked.

3:50 ish his opinions on public disturbance are mirrored in a lot of people today, and personally I think that’s a pretty terrible thing. 

I'm calling it LARPing because it serves no strategic purpose as a protest, not because action didn't take place. 

It is the case, yeah. Government buildings and commercial property were damaged and looted. Police stations were burned down and looted. There were huge, spontaneous marches, protests, and riots. Government officials were forced to take public meetings on the streets and agree to reform. Whatever combination of factors you think brought about change in those circumstances is your conclusion to come to, but I think you'd have to make a pretty compelling case to suggest that blocking a motorway or other action directed at the public played a key role, not least when it was a wider movement with public involvement. 

Absolutely no sneering in the way that you present it at all. I'm in favour of most action that gets results. I just don't think there's evidence to suggest that protests that target the public get results, in fact largely the opposite. 

Anyway, I think I've made my point. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

As we transition from a team permanently threatened by relegation to a solid midtable team and beyond, there will be plenty of results like last night. 

As far as on concerned, I can't wait to see the back of this season and to get the summer rebuild underway.

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As we transition from a team permanently threatened by relegation to a solid midtable team and beyond, there will be plenty of results like last night. 

As far as on concerned, I can't wait to see the back of this season and to get the summer rebuild underway.

Ditto. Let's be thankful we are going to be in this division to start that rebuild, results like this one will be a distant memory next season.

We had 62% possession last night. Two months ago we were struggling and were heading for relegation. Just shows how far we’ve come in such a short space of time, that we’re so annoyed about losing a match.

Edited by Ronson333

5 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

He knew he was taking the man and not the ball and it was reckless at that pace in that way, he can't complain about being sent off.

But, I just can't see how this is overturned by VAR, the ref had a perfect view of it, I can't see what he could've said different that would make it a clear and obvious error. It's a judgement call that could've gone either way and it seems it's just a case of the ref changing his mind, which we've been told VAR doesn't allow.

They really should be reporting what was said by the ref in these cases.

VAR didn't overrule, did they? Ref changed his mind after looking again.

1 minute ago, Ronson333 said:

We had 62% possession last night. Two months ago we were struggling and we’re heading for relegation. Just shows how far we’ve come in such a short space of time, that we’re so annoyed about losing a match.

They have come miles and miles. Still, 0 goals in 2 games despite being on the road is kinda bad. The rest of it has been great. They are no longer conceding loads of goals.

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Any team can struggle on nights like that. We've basically been doing it since late December to teams.

Good atmosphere, shithousing, niggly game, players with more effort than talent on the day etc. Happens all the time.

Exactly this.

It may have been ugly as shit but Everton have done what they needed to do, win ugly. 

I was pretty pissed about the manner of defeat last night, but when I take into account my feelings prior to the takeover I wouldn't have it any other way! We've done(nearly) enough to secure our place in the top flight against some pretty hefty odds and I'm buzzing overall.

2 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

VAR didn't overrule, did they? Ref changed his mind after looking again.

VAR only ask the ref to look again if they think there has been a clear and obvious error between the ref's description and what they see.