sunderland

Big River

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

I'm green with envy. It gives me sleepless nights enjoying watching football again, while our enlightened neighbours fight the good fight against human rights violations and we....

Nope can't even be bothered to be sarcastic with it...if we want to discuss moral compasses we only have to say 'behind the Chinese takeaway'.

You're just gonna end up with a bunch of them stood around behind the Golden Palace, glancing at each other guiltily and whispering 'I reckon we've got the wrong end of the stick, marra'.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

What is even the point of Sunderland? Is it city? Is it a town? is it a village? Durham as an area I can understand, but where does the stadium of light with it's two lions badge make any sense?

it’s a complete shit tip on the outskirts of Newcastle 

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

Think officially it's a city, but it's got that vague urban spread thanks to Washington and a bit of coastline a few miles south of South Shields which dilutes any sort of real identity...and of course the whole north sea

Sunderland only became recognised as a city in 1992, before that I think they had a footbal stadium called Roker Park which is now probably demolished and a badge which didn't look like a shit copy of NUFC's.

With my real life Mackem mates I am talking to them about Sunderland games as if we were talking about South Shields, Gateshead or Blyth Spartans and I can tell it's fucking killing them. The deathly silence when I announce with an exaggerated degree of shock and surprise that we have 'won again' is golden! :lol:

Sunderland/Newcastle football crack stopped a couple of years ago tbh, the topic doesn't even get mentioned these days. Having 2 divisions difference between the teams for 3 or 4 years killed it stone dead, occasionally hear the odd comment about one or the others recent game but it's been good natured as both sets of fans seemed to just accept that there's a lot of clear water between the 2 clubs now. No real prospect of a league game any time soon so there's no need to wind up the other set of fans etc

2 hours ago, pedro111 said:

With my real life Mackem mates I am talking to them about Sunderland games as if we were talking about South Shields, Gateshead or Blyth Spartans and I can tell it's fucking killing them. The deathly silence when I announce with an exaggerated degree of shock and surprise that we have 'won again' is golden! :lol:

I honestly couldn't name a single one of their players. I know Mowbray is the manager now, but that's it....

3 minutes ago, Jinky said:

I honestly couldn't name a single one of their players. I know Mowbray is the manager now, but that's it....

Stewart Ross. But if he served me at Tescos I wouldn't know and wouldn't be surprised.

8 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

That took me back to the start of the current sportswashing therapy thread and 9/11.

Which our owners were responsible for apparently.

MBS, who is who they refer to in all this, was 16 at the time.

Tbf it does kinda seem like a 16 year old's master plan. Let's crash a couple planes into a corporate property and uhh... Yeah it'll be sick bro!

None attending-Mags is getting some traction these days

'I have to work with them...none of them ever attend a match...obviously getting from Penshaw to Newcastle is a massive undertaking.'

'It's the usual reply..."can't get a ticket"...er have you actually tried? I think not!'

Its so mackem.

I realise this will be harder for them to grasp than any others fans but there's not always 20,000 tickets available at other grounds and every game is a sell-out again now.

Looking at their apparent size and the catchmanet areas wonder how many non-attending mackems there must be.

7 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

'I have to work with them...none of them ever attend a match...obviously getting from Penshaw to Newcastle is a massive undertaking.'

'It's the usual reply..."can't get a ticket"...er have you actually tried? I think not!'

Its so mackem.

I realise this will be harder for them to grasp than any others fans but there's not always 20,000 tickets available at other grounds and every game is a sell-out again now.

Looking at their apparent size and the catchmanet areas wonder how many non-attending mackems there must be.

Since 1974 their catchment area is Tyne and Wear.Hartlepool are Co Durham’s club.

52 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Its so mackem.

I live 12,000 mile away and in all likelihood have been to more games this season than the combined total number of times the RTG life forms have visited the bungalow of shite….but hey-ho start another attendance thread you crisp packet & card throwing bunch of scruffy Mackem bastards

8 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

It must be very tiring pretending to be constantly outraged in order to deal with something outside of your control. I’m actually finding the Mackems mental gymnastics quite interesting to watch along with being highly amusing of course.

And we know very well that if England reach the WC final those with faux outrage will 100% be watching but will never admit it on RTG.

You fool no cunt RTG wankers . [emoji38]

8 hours ago, Dokko said:

Stewart Ross. But if he served me at Tescos I wouldn't know and wouldn't be surprised.

Same. He's the only one I've heard of because he seems to score most the goals but if he walked past me in the street I'd have no idea who he was. The gulf between the 2 clubs now must be at an all time high, not just in a financial sense, and it's just going to get bigger and bigger as the years go by.

I know we mock and laugh them for their deranged ramblings about us these days and they are a great source of humour to us but I genuinely don't know how I'd cope if the roles were reversed so I try and cut them a bit of slack at least. It must be like being in a living nightmare for them!

3 hours ago, GWN said:

And we know very well that if England reach the WC final those with faux outrage will 100% be watching but will never admit it on RTG.

You fool no cunt RTG wankers . [emoji38]

Exile is their spokesperson on there when it comes to Human rights and Yemen and even he's admitted in the past he couldn't have give a toss if PIF had bought any other club but ours. They are the ultimate hypocrites and are happy to admit it as well. It's nothing more than a coping mechanism for them but, like I said above this past year must have been absolute agony for them so if that's their way of dealing with it then fair enough.

Edited by Wallsendmag

I can't imagine what it's like living in split supporting areas but isn't washington part of sunderland so how's it 50/50.

I actually live nearer to hebburn than byker, but the tyne's in the way ,so it would be the equivalent of me walking into wallsend about 20mins and finding it 50/50 there would be fucking riots on man.

21 minutes ago, Nun tumblers said:

I can't imagine what it's like living in split supporting areas but isn't washington part of sunderland so how's it 50/50.

Washington New Town is indeed officially part of Sunderland, but it is really a very independent town with very few links to Sunderland.

In 1974 when the two towns of Washington and Sunderland were brought together under Local Government re-organisation (principally to make enough population to form a credible-sized borough of Tyne & Wear, no other reason) it surprised many of us.

The reason for the surprise was that Washington is more a part of Gateshead really. I mean, if you are driving along the Felling Bypass in Gateshead (I used to work there) and you turn right where the large 'Black Bull' pub was until recently (I used to drink there) then within 100 yards you passed the entrance sign and were in Washington New Town !!!

Then, after the strange decision to artificially add Washington to Sunderland, we had the great debate as to what the new 'merged borough' should be called . . . Washington was the 'older' name (the original home of the first president of the USA, etc) and the new merged borough was very nearly called 'Washington' rather than Sunderland.

That would have been a laugh. 

35 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Washington New Town is indeed officially part of Sunderland, but it is really a very independent town with very few links to Sunderland.

In 1974 when the two towns of Washington and Sunderland were brought together under Local Government re-organisation (principally to make enough population to form a credible-sized borough of Tyne & Wear, no other reason) it surprised many of us.

The reason for the surprise was that Washington is more a part of Gateshead really. I mean, if you are driving along the Felling Bypass in Gateshead (I used to work there) and you turn right where the large 'Black Bull' pub was until recently (I used to drink there) then within 100 yards you passed the entrance sign and were in Washington New Town !!!

Then, after the strange decision to artificially add Washington to Sunderland, we had the great debate as to what the new 'merged borough' should be called . . . Washington was the 'older' name (the original home of the first president of the USA, etc) and the new merged borough was very nearly called 'Washington' rather than Sunderland.

That would have been a laugh. 

Thanks MP......that explains a lot, must of been controversial back then no. I don't really know Washington at all but did jury service about 4 years ago on a horrendous case from the Sulgrave area.

Edited by Nun tumblers

The designation of Washington as Sunderland has always been a mystery to me. It blends almost seamlessly into Birtley and by extension Gateshead, whereas you have to schlep a few miles down the A1231 before you hit Sunderland.

I’m all in for a David Simon mini-series on the behind the scenes machinations at Tyne & Wear County Council.