sunderland

Big River

11 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

@TeddySAFC You seem fairly level headed, what is the general consensus in Sunderland about Newcastle's turnaround. I only really see the trolls on twitter and the erratic folk on RTG who all seem to offer out any NUFC fan they see who always backs down from them scared.

It's a good question, but I couldn't give an answer about a general consensus myself about Newcastle fans if I was asked that question the other way around.

(There's a danger you end up giving a majority view from what you hear and then having to defend it as if you're some sort of spokesman.)

But yes, interesting to see if the general vibe he gets is similar to social media or not, without having to answer for it - I get the genuine sense that he just wants to talk about his team on here. 

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

It's a good question, but I couldn't give an answer about a general consensus myself about Newcastle fans if I was asked that question the other way around.

(There's a danger you end up giving a majority view from what you hear and then having to defend it as if you're some sort of spokesman.)

But yes, interesting to see if the general vibe he gets is similar to social media or not, without having to answer for it - I get the genuine sense that he just wants to talk about his team on here. 

I suspect that Twitter and RTG don't give a true view on their thoughts.   Obviously we are rivals, that will never change but a balanced view would be nice.  I for one miss the derby.  There wasn't a game like it.

I've said this for years now, some Sunderland fans hate Newcastle more than they love Sunderland.

I was in the Willow Pond on Hylton Road a few years ago and 3 Makems met up for a pint, their first words were "who's the scum got tomorrow ? " never even mentioned Sunderland.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I've said this for years now, some Sunderland fans hate Newcastle more than they love Sunderland.

I was in the Willow Pond on Hylton Road a few years ago and 3 Makems met up for a pint, their first words were "who's the scum got tomorrow ? " never even mentioned Sunderland.

You’re right about that. Hating NUFC/Newcastle is a big part of what being a Sunderland fan is all about. It’s their inferiority complex.

What meaningful metric do they lead us on? In terms of football or as a city? League titles (fair enough, but they were an eternity ago), 9-1 marra, higher record crowd by about 4K which was again a life time ago, and 6 in a row marra. All bullshit that I have seen them use to try and make out they’re some big club. 

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

You’re right about that. Hating NUFC/Newcastle is a big part of what being a Sunderland fan is all about. It’s their inferiority complex.

What meaningful metric do they lead us on? In terms of football or as a city? League titles (fair enough, but they were an eternity ago), 9-1 marra, higher record crowd by about 4K which was again a life time ago, and 6 in a row marra. All bullshit that I have seen them use to try and make out they’re some big club. 

This isn't about Sunderland but on this point - I remember getting into an argument with a Villa fan on Twitter (before I accepted that arguing online was a pointless exercise) about some player we were both linked with and why he would chose one over the other. He said Villa because they were a "Bigger club" (another pointless topic for an argument...) and he based this on the fact that they had won the European Cup whereas we haven't.

Obviously he's right, they have won it and we haven't. But I made the point that one European Cup win however many years before this player was born probably isn't going to make a huge difference to how he views them versus us.

Same goes for those Sunderland league wins - one win since the start of the First World War versus our record is the epitome of bald men fighting over a comb. We both have shit, barren trophy cabinets and there's little to be gained arguing over which one is less shit and barren than the other.

14 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

This isn't about Sunderland but on this point - I remember getting into an argument with a Villa fan on Twitter (before I accepted that arguing online was a pointless exercise) about some player we were both linked with and why he would chose one over the other. He said Villa because they were a "Bigger club" (another pointless topic for an argument...) and he based this on the fact that they had won the European Cup whereas we haven't.

Obviously he's right, they have won it and we haven't. But I made the point that one European Cup win however many years before this player was born probably isn't going to make a huge difference to how he views them versus us.

Same goes for those Sunderland league wins - one win since the start of the First World War versus our record is the epitome of bald men fighting over a comb. We both have shit, barren trophy cabinets and there's little to be gained arguing over which one is less shit and barren than the other.

Wigan have won a domestic trophy more recent than all three teams mentioned. Does that make them the "bigger club" ?

Since we were formed they haven't got anything. Two of their titles were before then and a third before we kicked a ball in the top division.

I don't mind giving them it because its one parameter versus however many you like but you know what they'd be like.

"big" has to mean something different to "most league titles" otherwise there'd be no conjecture and why not just say that.

Edited by Jonas

4 hours ago, Ben said:

Found it amusing that Barry Glendennig appears to know about every fart that happens at Newcastle but didn't seem nearly as clued up on his own team.

1 hour ago, Viana said:

Found it amusing that Barry Glendennig appears to know about every fart that happens at Newcastle but didn't seem nearly as clued up on his own team.

He couldn't name their team before the playoffs 

13 hours ago, bhoywhonder said:

Holy shit, is that mental fucker Exile123 STILL going?!? CL matches may very well finish the poor bastard, someone get him on suicide watch

Last I saw he created a fake "Newcastle Fans against Sportwashing" twitter account and was using it to have week long conversations with his actual account.

Thank god the UK doesn't have the same access to firearms as the Yanks.

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Have you heard the one about how Geordie identity, which we reinforce (!?) to feel relevant, holds the region back?

Screenshot2023-06-18at00-40-10NUFC_Sportswashingcompendiumthread-Spring2023Rainbowedition.thumb.png.8f31fd40d3b2b7327e28b15f678a2497.png

Raging again! What a pathetic, sad life they lead. Outraged by everything NUFC!

Think that post almost sums up what we've been talking about. For many of them its anti-Newcastle first and foremost.

Yet its the celebrating of our identity that is considered to hold the region back not having an identity predominantly based on being anti something which is not only healthy for the region but a healthy mindset.