sunderland in the EFL

Big River

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

Out of interest, what’s the longest period we’ve had without playing each other - not counting World Wars and the like? If we don’t draw them in the cup it’ll be 8 years by the end of this season.

Just checked - we didn’t play them from March 1934 to October 1948. Obviously Adolf causing continental carnage put paid to 6 seasons but also a 7th as it was regional leagues. So the current hiatus is the longest we’ve gone without playing them in terms of seasons of football.

11 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Out of interest, what’s the longest period we’ve had without playing each other - not counting World Wars and the like? If we don’t draw them in the cup it’ll be 8 years by the end of this season.

Just checked and the biggest gap is from 3/3/34 - 9/10/48.  Once you take the war out of the timeline you're probably looking at it being broken already taking into account that they can't play us until January 24 at the earliest now.

Taking the dates from Wiki on the war out of the equation that gap is 3141 days

If we draw them in the third round of the cup it will be 2848 days.

Edited by Sima

5 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

One day we’ll die, you all get that don’t you? And you don’t want to see us beat them 15-0 in case someone gets injured?

Wouldn't be 15-0 (maybe 6 or 7 like!) but I'm not even arsed about sharing a pitch with them these days. They are becoming more and more of an irrelevance at each passing season, and as their sole aim would be just to kick anything that moves in black and white I don't think it would be much of a spectacle. Let them rot in lower league oblivion and we can concentrate on title challenges and Champions League.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Wouldn't be 15-0 (maybe 6 or 7 like!) but I'm not even arsed about sharing a pitch with them these days. They are becoming more and more of an irrelevance at each passing season, and as their sole aim would be just to kick anything that moves in black and white I don't think it would be much of a spectacle. Let them rot in lower league oblivion and we can concentrate on title challenges and Champions League.

Agree to disagree.

First year we qualified for the ‘Champions League’ - by finishing second - was also a season where they were relegated by finishing second bottom.

We scraped a late Alan Shearer equaliser for a 1-1 at SJP.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the current side beats them nine times out of ten.  But the idea that we’re guaranteed x or y result by a huge score line is simply not the case.

But I’d still be more concerned by a useless sack of shite like O’Nien putting Bruno out for the season. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

First year we qualified for the ‘Champions League’ - by finishing second - was also a season where they were relegated by finishing second bottom.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the current side beats them nine times out of ten.  But the idea that we’re guaranteed x or y result by a huge score line is simply not the case.

But I’d still be more concerned by a useless sack of shite like O’Nien putting Bruno out for the season. 

Thing is though, even if they beat us, well so what? They will have their fun but be unable to ignore the ever growing chasm between the clubs. We’ll have to move on quickly anyway as the Champions’ League will be back soon enough. It’s easy to say the small club has nothing to lose, free hit etc, but I think it can work both ways 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

One thing I’d say is that in precious derbies they’ve probably bullied us a bit. Our team now though is intense and aggressive. Imagine Joelinton on derby day ffs?

Does anyone really think the players for Sunderland are as pathetic in terms of hating "the Mags" as their stupid fans?

There is always a chance of being injured on a football field regardless who you are playing against, ask Tyrone Mings....  I highly doubt any Sunderland player would set out to purposely end the season of one of ours.  And likewise the other way around.  Someone like O'Nien might be a risk because he is a total arsehole but, I would not be worried about playing them one bit.

Playing Sunderland in a cup and enjoying a comfortable win would be lovely

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

One thing I’d say is that in precious derbies they’ve probably bullied us a bit. Our team now though is intense and aggressive. Imagine Joelinton on derby day ffs?

Aye, the Pardew teams were weak as piss in terms of intensity.  The likes of Joelinton would love that atmosphere.

I just feel zero compulsion to play the cunts.  None whatsoever.  I’ve seen us beat them plenty of times.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Aye, the Pardew teams were weak as piss in terms of intensity.  The likes of Joelinton would love that atmosphere.

I just feel zero compulsion to play the cunts.  None whatsoever.  I’ve seen us beat them plenty of times.  

You wouldn’t enjoy the build up to the day? I can’t imagine how excited everybody would be 

1 minute ago, pinkeye said:

Does anyone really think the players for Sunderland are as pathetic in terms of hating "the Mags" as their stupid fans?

There is always a chance of being injured on a football field regardless who you are playing against, ask Tyrone Mings....  I highly doubt any Sunderland player would set out to purposely end the season of one of ours.  And likewise the other way around.  Someone like O'Nien might be a risk because he is a total arsehole but, I would not be worried about playing them one bit.

No, I don’t think they would take the approach of trying to do it, nor do I think they’d care on a personal level re Newcastle vs Sunderland.  But the intensity of the fixture would absolutely get to them once it started - and useless knackers mistiming challenges and leaving boots in likely would happen.  Bollocks to them - I’m at a loss as to why we’d even need to play them.  Not one of my favourite games involved them.  If we beat them 10-0 it still wouldn’t figure. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Whilst I think we’d hammer them - we have hammered plenty teams in the last year or so better than them - I don’t think I would have a good sleep within 2 weeks of the game. Bad dreams the lot. :lol:

Derby days were immense.

In town early having some beers, the tension building up.  Then you hear the chanting from the Sunderland crowd being marched through the streets heading up to the ground under police guard...  the counter chanting from our fans...   the atmosphere is electric!!

Inside the ground you literally cannot hear yourself think...  Intensity personified!

2 hours ago, pinkeye said:

Derby days were immense.

In town early having some beers, the tension building up.  Then you hear the chanting from the Sunderland crowd being marched through the streets heading up to the ground under police guard...  the counter chanting from our fans...   the atmosphere is electric!!

Inside the ground you literally cannot hear yourself think...  Intensity personified!

I don’t miss the unbelievable amount of anxiety you’d feel around 10ish in the pub that’s opened early for the derby.

Was class how it brought so many people into the pubs and that though.

9 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

I don’t miss the unbelievable amount of anxiety you’d feel around 10ish in the pub that’s opened early for the derby.

Same.  Waking up on the morning of a derby was agony but good to be in the boozer early doors.

4 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Just checked - we didn’t play them from March 1934 to October 1948. Obviously Adolf causing continental carnage put paid to 6 seasons but also a 7th as it was regional leagues. So the current hiatus is the longest we’ve gone without playing them in terms of seasons of football.

Could easily be another 5/6 years until we play them too. They seemingly have no intention of going all out for a promotion any time soon. 

The first derby after this long break will be something special though armosphere wise. Just pure, pent up hatred.

1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

It did become a wanky little event mind. Got a bit tiresome seeing people on social media with no interest in football talking about all day drinking on derby day

3 hours ago, pinkeye said:

It happens and if a lower league clogger has a chance of making a name for himself and winning the hearts of his teams fans it could happen.

Remember Tranmeres approach last season or going back further the carry on we had with Grimsby when one of their players offered Shearer out in the car park afterwards?

Sometimes these small irrelevant clubs sometimes aren't worth the hassle and Sunderland are as small time as they come these days.I'd rather not give them the much needed payday and small time in the limelight before they go back to obscurity.

What the fuck is 'national mackem day'? As if anyone NOT a mackem is going to be giving a solitary shit and them?

Is the whole country expected to bedeck itself in red and white, drink blue pop, eat cheesy chips, shit in a seat and fuck seabirds?

National mackem day, give over. :lol: