sunderland in the EFL

Big River

They keep going on about tickets sold to try and defend their bullshit attendances. I'm sorry, but there is no way that 5,000 plus fans (in some mid week games there is nowhere even near 30,000 are there) do not attend after forking out money for a ticket. Maybe a few hundred, at max a 1,000 will not turn up due to varying reasons. It's plainly obvious that they are counting tickets which are given away to schools, universities or businesses within that total. 5,000 plus not turning up after paying cash to attend my arse. By the way anything over 25,000 isn't a bad crowd in the championship, but for the majority to try and defend utter bollocks is laughable.

Edited by et tu brute

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

They keep going on about tickets sold to try and defend their bullshit attendances. I'm sorry, but there is no way that 5,000 plus fans (in some mid week games there is nowhere even near 30,000 are there) do not attend after forking out money for a ticket. Maybe a few hundred, at max a 1,000 will not turn up due to varying reasons. It's plainly obvious that they are counting tickets which are given away to schools, universities or businesses within that total. 5,000 plus not turning up after paying cash to attend my arse. By the way anything over 25,000 isn't a bad crowd in the championship, but for the majority to try and defend utter bollocks is laughable.

surely their income from ticket sales should be the in the top 3 of that division with leicester and leeds.

14 hours ago, Paullow said:

Sunderland have finished in the top 12 of English football only 3 times since 1955/56.

So in 68 years, they have had as many top 12 finishes as we have in the period of 2022 - 3 weeks from now?

20 hours ago, Beth said:

That Oxford game was originally abandoned due to rain and had to be replayed, I think it's our lowest ever post 1990 league attendance.

Was it rain? I seem to remember one abandoned due to fog. Not sure if that as FA cup game though 

1 minute ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Was it rain? I seem to remember one abandoned due to fog. Not sure if that as FA cup game though 

That was Bournemouth in the cup I think.

Lowest 1st team attendance I've been to was the rained off one vs Wrexham. There wouldn't have been more than 4,000 present. Managed to get some blokes season ticket for the East Stand so I remained dry. From memory there was only a single line of supporter's against the back wall of the Gallowgate. 

So they count the allocation to schools and organisations as sold tickets...

The crowds always seem over-egged for reasons best known to HettonLass to name the chief protagonist of this bullshit.

Has anyone pointed out that they are bottom dogs again in the north-east...nope I guess not 🤔

22 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Yes, abandoned at h/t when we were 1-0 up, replay finished 2-2.

4 hours ago, et tu brute said:

I don't want to sound like a mackem apologist, but would you turn up to watch shite football at the end of the season with absolutely nothing to play for? Just look at our or any clubs attendences in the second half of a season with nothing to play for, especially before the play offs were introduced in the late 80s.

16 minutes ago, Beth said:

I don't want to sound like a mackem apologist, but would you turn up to watch shite football at the end of the season with absolutely nothing to play for? Just look at our or any clubs attendences in the second half of a season with nothing to play for, especially before the play offs were introduced in the late 80s.

These made up addendances aren't exclusive to the 2nd half of this season.[emoji38]

Imagine if there was a catastrophe at the ground. They'll be searching for 20,000 missing people who are all at home watching it on their firestick. 

Edited by Dokko

26 minutes ago, Beth said:

It's not just end of season though it's all their home crowds (apart from Boxing Day one). As for the 80s, I was there every game and it was widespread throughout football and not just one club, as football was in a massive decline at that point. 

Edited by et tu brute

19 minutes ago, Beth said:

Its a stretch like because you cant compare gates now to gates in the 80s, totally different era. Everyone's gates were much lower, we averaged in the top ten even with those gates

Arsenal got 17,000s when they had no title aspirations late in the season so you'd be saying Sunderland have better support than Arsenal on that basis.

8 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Imagine if there was a catastrophe at the ground. They'll be searching for 20,000 missing people who are all at home watching it on their firestick. 

There'll be a safety figure of clicks through the turnstiles. I wonder if it's available via a FOI request.

32 minutes ago, Beth said:

I always thought you were a mackem tbh.

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

There'll be a safety figure of clicks through the turnstiles. I wonder if it's available via a FOI request.

Now thst would be interesting. 

4 hours ago, huss9 said:

surely their income from ticket sales should be the in the top 3 of that division with leicester and leeds.

Leeds averaging 36,000 make x3 per match what the mackems who get 40,000+ do.  Quite an achievement.

31 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Its a stretch like because you cant compare gates now to gates in the 80s, totally different era. Everyone's gates were much lower, we averaged in the top ten even with those gates

Arsenal got 17,000s when they had no title aspirations late in the season so you'd be saying Sunderland have better support than Arsenal on that basis.

My point is though the attendances for the first few games of a season are going to be higher than at the end if the team has nothing to play for. Obviously there is nowhere near as many at the SOS as announced but that will be down to the season ticket holders fucking it off. Don't forget they got the play offs last season so there was some optimism for this one, hence decent season tickets sales last summer. No doubt there will be thousands not renewing after this season.

42 minutes ago, Sima said:

Didn't someone try something like that a few years back and just got directed to the "official" figures? From memory I think they asked the police.

Maybe they didn't word it cleverly enough to paint them into a corner.

14 minutes ago, Beth said:

My point is though the attendances for the first few games of a season are going to be higher than at the end if the team has nothing to play for. Obviously there is nowhere near as many at the SOS as announced but that will be down to the season ticket holders fucking it off. Don't forget they got the play offs last season so there was some optimism for this one, hence decent season tickets sales last summer. No doubt there will be thousands not renewing after this season.

It was the same last season. And the one before. They've been doing it forever. They'll do it next year too, there'll be no drop-off. At least not to a realistic level.

43 minutes ago, Beth said:

So 5,000 plus fans are fucking it off for most of their games? and it has been since day one also. It has been every season also even when they were a premier league team. No sorry your totally wide of the mark in what you're saying.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

So 5,000 plus fans are fucking it off for most of their games? and it has been since day one also. It has been every season also even when they were a premier league team. No sorry your totally wide of the mark in what you're saying.

So what you are saying is there is more or less the same number in the ground for the whole season, regardless of what league they are in or how good they are doing?