sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Maybe, can't say I follow it in recent years but there's been plenty of teams run straight through that league after getting promoted to it over the years to the top-flight. Sheffield United twice, Bolton, Man CIty, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Wolves, Watford, Notts County (Cambridge were a game away) nevermind consolidate too and the same can be said of Fulham, Norwich, Watford etc in the PL.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Don't disagree tbh. The top 8 or so of the Championship have much better squads than ones coming out of League One, hence why the likes of Wigan, Rotherham, Barnsley etc are always up and down between the two. The mackems have the advantage of being a good sized club so they still have pull in the Championship market that other clubs don't have.

Sheff Utd, Blackburn, Luton, Coventry, Millwall, Barnsley (I know they went down last year but they nearly got promoted to the Premier League the year before), Preston, Bristol City, Blackpool all promoted in the last 7-8 years and have at least been in around mid-table or higher with very little to spend.

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

46,856 for a friendly at SJP

40,851 for the first game of the season in the Championship at the Bungalow Of Light.

To be fair that’s a cracking crowd!

I've never really had any great hatred of Sunderland, in fact I'd always rather they did ok. But the absolute bile that their fans spout about us is rather quickly changing that opinion. Nice one Coventry, nothing more depressing than a late equaliser to dampen the spirits.

19 minutes ago, pubteam said:

I've never really had any great hatred of Sunderland, in fact I'd always rather they did ok. But the absolute bile that their fans spout about us is rather quickly changing that opinion. Nice one Coventry, nothing more depressing than a late equaliser to dampen the spirits.

I live in Coventry and have for 17 years.  It’s better than Sunderland. Their fans are also not as weird. 

1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

Quick browse on RTG and it’s now a good point.

“get used to it. I would take a 18th - 21st place finish now.”

Amazing how 1 game has changed their outlook!

Mackems are snides and bitter. Their fanbase isn't as strong as ours but their crowds are always good home and away tbf. I don't take piss on crowds or support but I do because they are deluded mackems and they talk shite. 

19 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Mackems are snides and bitter. Their fanbase isn't as strong as ours but their crowds are always good home and away tbf. I don't take piss on crowds or support but I do because they are deluded mackems and they talk shite. 

They had 8620 at home to Mansfield in the FA Cup last season.

4 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

Quick browse on RTG and it’s now a good point.

In all fairness, first game in the championship and a draw against a team that finished firmly in the middle of the table (13th) and 10 points away from playoffs is a good point.

I'm not so sure. I think they need to put as many points on the board as they can while they have the enthusiasm and momentum following promotion. Particularly at home.

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not so sure. I think they need to put as many points on the board while they have the enthusiasm and momentum following promotion. Particularly at home.

Massive jump from first division to championship and they’re not used to it yet. I think it’s a good point

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not so sure. I think they need to put as many points on the board while they have the enthusiasm and momentum following promotion. Particularly at home.

The buzz of promotion helped them in the first half, but slowly their lack of quality began to show. Mid table at best imo, which would be good for them realistically.

4 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

46,856 for a friendly at SJP

40,851 for the first game of the season in the Championship at the Bungalow Of Light.

Have any of those 40,851 fans attended a friendly this season so far though? Will need to deduct them from the overall total. 

3 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Massive jump from first division to championship and they’re not used to it yet. I think it’s a good point

Depends on what the expectation/hope is, if the aim is to stay up then it's a good point.

If it's promotion then maybe not so great but it's only 1 game, we lost our first two and still got promoted relatively comfortably (Obviously we had a much better squad and manager)

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Depends on what the expectation/hope is, if the aim is to stay up then it's a good point.

If it's promotion then maybe not so great but it's only 1 game, we lost our first two and still got promoted relatively comfortably (Obviously we had a much better squad and manager)

Expectation should be survival and hopefully midtable, however if they aren't already in the playoffs come Christmas they'll be screaming for the Managers head

5 minutes ago, Klaus said:

The buzz of promotion helped them in the first half, but slowly their lack of quality began to show. Mid table at best imo, which would be good for them realistically.

Major over achievement for them to get low mid table imho. They are the weakest team promoted, and the weakest team in this league. Their promotion buzz as you put it looks to have fizzled even earlier than anticipated and they are going to struggle to match the quality and fitness of other teams in the league. All they have is that buzz. If its gone, it doesn't return with fans like theirs. They'll be all over the ownership & manager after a few defeats demanding that they deserve better. 

Have next to no knowledge of the players but someone on RTG is hoping Scott gets to show the trophy at the BOL

I mean, does she actually play for them? And do players usually parade international trophies at the clubs they play? (Obviously have no experience of England winning so no idea if this is a thing)