sunderland appoint a new head coach

Big River

4 hours ago, Ben said:

Whatever league Sunderland are in next season they will struggle massively, is there not a salary cap now as well ? 

Salary Cap doesnt matter, they havent got a pot to piss in as Billionaire Boy and The Holy Trinity of Donald, Methven and Sartori cant and wont agree on any more spending it seems

Just now, ManDoon said:

Anyway wrong thread but I’m glad that man was removed from the streets, and possibly had his future employment affected because he had an open beer bottle. Thanks boys in blue 

The cunt clearly eats boot for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

Again, ACAB. 

18 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Jordan used to love winding us up when we were in Ashley's grip.  A proper shit stirer kicking us when we were down.

Now we have ambitious owners who could keep us in the limelight he'll be kissing our arse so he will keep his job.

In the meantime kicking the mackens when they're the ones who are on a downer is easy shit stirring for the horrible gobshite.

2 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

Jordan used to love winding us up when we were in Ashley's grip.  A proper shit stirer kicking us when we were down.

Now we have ambitious owners who could keep us in the limelight he'll be kissing our arse so he will keep his job.

In the meantime kicking the mackens when they're the ones who are on a downer is easy shit stirring for the horrible gobshite.

That’s what so called pundits do. Have you just worked that out?

I wondered given the only parameter they have over us in the 'bigger club' debate is more league titles how they come to their conclusion.

I must admit I never factored in which club had the biggest one off attendance and had the biggest away win as gage on account of both Sheffield clubs having much higher highest gates than Liverpool not being reflective in the slighest of their respective status.

Just seems a bit particular and selective compared to things like recognising the existence of the FA Cup and Europe, major trophies won, minor trophies won, 3rd division participation and not, 50x more games in Europe, total domination of attendance figures, profile, record transfers an current status.

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 hours ago, Ben said:

I quite like Jordon on Talksport, I'm not saying I agree with everything he says but he never sits on the fence and always gives an opinion 

I've grown a liking to him recently too - he's not always had the nicest to say about us but I have generally found myself agreeing with a number of thing's hes said about other clubs and football in general.

He did also flat out say we'd stay up when it was still unclear.

20 minutes ago, Amir_9 said:

I've grown a liking to him recently too - he's not always had the nicest to say about us but I have generally found myself agreeing with a number of thing's hes said about other clubs and football in general.

He did also flat out say we'd stay up when it was still unclear.

Think his main gripe with our takeover before it went through was Staveley. It came across that he thought she was a total bullshitter.

31 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

I wondered given the only parameter they have over us in the 'bigger club' debate is more league titles how they come to their conclusion.

I must admit I never factored in which club had the biggest one off attendance and had the biggest away win as gage on account of both Sheffield clubs having much higher highest gates than Liverpool not being reflective in the slighest of their respective status.

Just seems a bit particular and selective compared to things like recognising the existence of the FA Cup and Europe, major trophies won, minor trophies won, 3rd division participation and not, 50x more games in Europe, total domination of attendance figures, profile, record transfers an current status.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sunderland_A.F.C._seasons

Yeah, they've only played in Europe once, or 4 matches, as a 2nd tier side, 49 years ago. Plus they have only finished in the top 12 of the top flight 3 times since 1956 - those two 7th place finishes under Reid, and then Bruce's 10th when they jumped about 4 spots on the final day (including us, after blowing the lead against WBA). The top division used to have 22 teams in the league, so they have literally only finished in the top half 3 times in 66 years (and obviously counting), and not once in the top 6. So even if you were an old man of 73 y/o, you've only seen your side finish 7th, 7th, 10th, plus those two European ties in 1973, and you'd like to think a 'big club' would at least be in the upper echelons at some point in the past 50 years or so.

Worth remembering Huddersfield have won more league titles than Tottenham.

Edited by Paullow

Historically, they are much smaller than us.

Currently, they are a third division club with an empty, dog shit stadium and no money. We are a top tier club with the fanbase, stadium and money to compete for trophies within 5 years.

I'm not sure what mental gymnastics they are doing to equate the two. It's like comparing Man Utd with Bury.

*Edit* On a side note, I wonder what they'll do about their Stadium. They can't afford the upkeep on it, and it's far too big for what they need.  It's also worthless in terms of utility or land value. If they leave the top tier permanently closed, it'll become a health hazard. Maybe demolish the whole thing and rebuild an easier to keep 10,000 seater stadium?

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

Forgive me if this is a stupid thing to say, but;

We always hear the 'They have won nowt in 50 year' fact kicking about. Why isn't winning the championship considered a trophy? We're 2 for 2 in championship league titles, it's listed as an honour on both Rafa and Chris Hughton's record, we were certainly given a trophy for it, but why is it always overlooked when talking about a teams titles? 

Historically much smaller than us, whether that's trophies won, attendances or both clubs standing on the European stage.

At the moment and in the future, both short and long term they are absolutely tiny compared to us and as their future fanbase in the region is further eroded away as the next generation are pulled in by what's going to happen here it's only getting worse. It's really grim times for them. The grimmest times in their entire history in fact, and whatever happens to them this season, it's only getting worse.

Edited by Wallsendmag

10 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid thing to say, but;

We always hear the 'They have won nowt in 50 year' fact kicking about. Why isn't winning the championship considered a trophy? We're 2 for 2 in championship league titles, it's listed as an honour on both Rafa and Chris Hughton's record, we were certainly given a trophy for it, but why is it always overlooked when talking about a teams titles? 

Because the "qualification" for it, is relegation to the 2nd Division.

Sunderland was a giant club, as big as any, prior to 1957. Post 1957, Sunderland has become just another yoyo football club like Boro, Norwich, Palace, SheffU, Stoke or West Brom. They'll make their way back to the PL a few years from now, but it's highly unlikey they'll break into the top 6 ever again. We, on the other hand, could break the top 6 in 2023....