sunderland in the EFL

Big River

10 minutes ago, andycap said:

Do you think fat sam would take it? Or is he just the type to expect a premier league job. With his ego the way it is. 

That would be so delicious. He'd love another chance to rub our noses in it and bring up Casa St James.

Unfortunately he seems to have dropped off the radar now, so as someone else said...it'll be a proper pfm or some random from abroad. I reckon it'll be Heckingbottom from Sheff U when he gets binned. Seem to recall he may of had a loan there when they were taking every man U reject/youngster they could

4 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

That would be so delicious. He'd love another chance to rub our noses in it and bring up Casa St James.

Unfortunately he seems to have dropped off the radar now, so as someone else said...it'll be a proper pfm or some random from abroad. I reckon it'll be Heckingbottom from Sheff U when he gets binned. Seem to recall he may of had a loan there when they were taking every man U reject/youngster they could

He may look at it and think there near the top if he can get them defending well and a few transfers he could get them up and a nice payday. 

Good decision in my opinion, About time we were ruthless instead of just plodding along hoping something changes.

Mowbray undoubtedly did a good job on the whole, Had us playing some lovely football but the chances of a Mowbray team getting promoted are slim. Rumours are the board wanted shot in the summer but they kept him on due to the performances last season. We had Farioli lined up and backtracked, He's got Nice absolutely flying.

He was never a long term appointment, He was a stop gap for stability and to allow younger players to flourish. He's done that and it's all gone a bit stale, Obviously it's a gamble but it's one the owners think is worth taking in the next 'phase' of building the club back up.

They were obviously shitting it at the thought of Mowbray trying to pass his way to a win against our relentless press. They'll look for a long ball merchant now to try and kick their way to a respectable loss in the cup game.

26 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Good decision in my opinion, About time we were ruthless instead of just plodding along hoping something changes.

Mowbray undoubtedly did a good job on the whole, Had us playing some lovely football but the chances of a Mowbray team getting promoted are slim. Rumours are the board wanted shot in the summer but they kept him on due to the performances last season. We had Farioli lined up and backtracked, He's got Nice absolutely flying.

He was never a long term appointment, He was a stop gap for stability and to allow younger players to flourish. He's done that and it's all gone a bit stale, Obviously it's a gamble but it's one the owners think is worth taking in the next 'phase' of building the club back up.

Promoted?  How is that supposed to happen with no budget and you sell your best players?  What is the ownership group trying to achieve? I don't get the strategy.  I assume it's to increase the value in these young players but if they are sold then what? Rinse and repeat? How does that get you promoted and if by some miracle it did happen what then, you would be annihilated in the prem.

Just now, The Fountain said:

I'd love it. Mowbray has them playing decent passing football. They haven't the players for fat Sam's hoofball.

That's not a bad shout actually. High balls to Jack Clarke would probably see him out the door before our game.

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

Thought he was doing OK for them. Not performing miracles or anything but still giving them a decent promotion chance....are they just hoping for their usual manager bounce in time for the cup tie??. Got to make it 7 in a row Marra

One small issue with that one

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

Thought he was doing OK for them. Not performing miracles or anything but still giving them a decent promotion chance....are they just hoping for their usual manager bounce in time for the cup tie??. Got to make it 7 in a row Marra

I had a quick look and they only have 4 wins out of their last 12.  2 draws and 6 losses.That said, they are still in touch of the playoffs.  Only 3 points off 6th and a better goal diff.  

It does seem a strange decision to sack him.  As I'm not sure why they suddenly think they should be in and around the top 6 all the while.  They've been shite for how long now?  Outside looking in, it seems like Mowbray has done a decent job with what he's had to spend and the players he has.  But there must be more to it than that.  Perhaps they have been on a downwards spiral, performance wise for a while? 

46 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

I do think they have probably made the right decision. I also think the cup draw brought forward the plan to ditch him.

20 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Promoted?  How is that supposed to happen with no budget and you sell your best players?  What is the ownership group trying to achieve? I don't get the strategy.  I assume it's to increase the value in these young players but if they are sold then what? Rinse and repeat? How does that get you promoted and if by some miracle it did happen what then, you would be annihilated in the prem.

We've sold Stewart for 10 million and he hadn't kicked a ball for nearly a year, He's now fucked again at Southampton. Apart from him, Who have we sold?

It's a myth we haven't spent money. We don't have parachute money to chuck 10s of millions at people, But we have spent money.

Edited by TeddySAFC

24 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

We've sold Stewart for 10 million and he hadn't kicked a ball for nearly a year, He's now fucked again at Southampton. Apart from him, Who have we sold?

It's a myth we haven't spent money. We don't have parachute money to chuck 10s of millions at people, But we have spent money.

So you sold Stewart for 10 and spent about 8. If the strategy is slow organic growth with youngsters then that will take years and requires patience from the fans. You don't have the patience given after one year in the Champo expectation seems to be to get promoted. I don't see how Speakman playing moneyball and the expectation of the fans aligns at all.

Edited by OverThere