Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

3 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

Hi branko. I introduced myself to that guy in the pisser at the match tonight. Told him someone recognized him from an Internet forum. 

Wasn’t him though. Just looked at me like I was an absolute internet freak. 

so thanks for that. 

xoxo

Couldn't have happened in a better location 

20 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Trippier's defending on that first goal man ... so so bad. 

Bendia bouncing off Schar and Tonali in the buildup too [emoji38]

The defending for all the goals (Villa and ours) was really bad like.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Beundia bouncing off Schar and Tonali in the buildup too [emoji38]

And Tonali sprinting back behind the defensive line to play everyone onside :lol:

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Aye Burn was running through treacle for the third as well. 

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Yeah, our defending in the build up wasn't great, but by the time Buendia gets to the edge of the box we are still in pretty good shape.

The way Trippier then just drifts inwards ball watching and completely leaves Watkins free is so incredibly bad man.

Shocking defending for all 6 tbf. Don't think you'll see us move away from back 4 after yesterday as seemed all over at back. Dubravka should of done better for 3rd too, weak hand.

Never read to much into pre seasons but i do think Villa will be good side next year again. Do rate Emery and his football.

Anderson is looking good.

Edited by NUFC91

2 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Honestly just watched the highlights and dubs for a goalkeeper of his experience still hasn’t got a clue where his near post is. Shocking.

My thoughts - near post for Buendia’s 1st and crisp packet hands for his 2nd.

Sounds like it was a good run out helping to increase match sharpness, while also trying a tactic we've not used before, and getting confidence into our forward players. Exactly what pre-season is for :thup: 

11 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Honestly just watched the highlights and dubs for a goalkeeper of his experience still hasn’t got a clue where his near post is. Shocking.

I don't trust Dubravka at all anymore. 

Pope coming in completely rattled him and I really think we should be getting rid.

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I don't trust Dubravka at all anymore. 

Pope coming in completely rattled him and I really think we should be getting rid.

Still think him or Darlow need to stay, wouldn’t be comfortable with Karius and Gillespie as our backup keepers.

26 minutes ago, Tina Tooner said:

I know its irrelevant but thought Ritchie played well lol

He did play some good balls. Everyone seems to be on form for pinging the ball all over the pitch. Even Lascelles. Schar and Botman must be giving them all ping-time sessions.

I can see why he wanted to try that formation with what we have in attack and midfield. You obviously have to consider that players are still working on their fitness and game-sharpness, as otherwise we allowed far too much room off the ball at the back and getting caught out whilst pressing high up the pitch. You never see that from us and when it does happen, our recovery makes up for it.

focussing on the positives from the game with individual performances from Anderson and miley in particular, but also our will to get back into the game and prove clinical enough for a result. 

Edited by Geordie Boyo

I’m glad am off work like. Wor’ lass teaches so she’s off too as the bairn, who never normally wakes up during the early hours was up 3 times and took ages going off. She was sat up as I went up to bed after the game…! Fs……both shattered today. Bloody typical :lol:

Genuinely think Howe was experimenting with the formation/tactics due to how Villa played us second half of last season. Maybe he saw some things that worked and some that didn't which the team will work on ahead of the season opener. Wouldn't rule out that we'll see a similar looking formation later on.