Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, James said:

Another worry for me is Nick Pope - injury means he isn’t getting a proper pre-season

Think he started his training this week, so isn’t far behind.

30 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Nice of him to give away the tactics, for sure. 

The midfielders getting on the half turn and playing a direct ball through is Villa’s whole game. 

Hopefully we can figure out a way to nullify it, actually might be pressing less and just screening in front of them so they have to pass back. 

Won’t be an issue, I think, with four at the back. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

It’s quite natural, we humans have tendencies to want to draw definitive conclusions  

Yep, but less so in the ones with good reasoning skills. Could do with a bit more grey between our black and white thinking at times.

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Haven't watched a Craig Hope YT walkaround video for a while so decided to catch what he said about it and he's talking about it like it was a league game halfway through the season [emoji38] Bruno and Tonali too similar, apparently etc.

Didn't he also say our tactics were to put Villa off our plans for the league games.

13 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

In other news, I thought Buendía had a great game last night. 

Me too, he looks like he has muscled up a bit. One of his problems was that he was always way too easily knocked off the ball, but he looked a lot sturdier last night (even taking into account obvious reduced intensity of a friendly).

19 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Haven't watched a Craig Hope YT walkaround video for a while so decided to catch what he said about it and he's talking about it like it was a league game halfway through the season [emoji38] Bruno and Tonali too similar, apparently etc.

Sure I've mentioned it a few times now but you don't surprise me Hope is looking for a negative / controversial story.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Just catching up. Has Targett lost a yard of pace or is just not up to speed yet? 

I think we judged Targett the first season based on Ritchie and Lewis playing at lb.

He looked a worldie compared to those two.. but now in the cold light of day it's apparent that he is below the level we are at now 

2 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

I think we judged Targett the first season based on Ritchie and Lewis playing at lb.

He looked a worldie compared to those two.. but now in the cold light of day it's apparent that he is below the level we are at now 

Didn't ever see him as worldie myself, just a consistently solid player we could rely on, nothing special, nothing shit.

Harsh, he was an extremely competent defensive full back who could also whip an ok cross in. Unfortunately, injuries, lack of match fitness and who knows if anything else, has made him look slower, less comfortable positionally etc

Just now, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Villa played at a really high tempo for a pre-season friendly. Really good prep for our lot.

Aye, think I referred to this last night, it's so much better flying to the US for an organised tournament against decent PL sides than going there to play against Orlando City on a plastic pitch or Portland Timbers Reserves or whatever. 

The intensity and fitness gains from last night will be so much higher than if we were playing local sides, even MLS standard ones.

Anyone else think Jamal Lascelles played well? I don’t think he’s anywhere near the standard of Schar and Botman but he did give me some hope.

Also , Dan Burn has looked shaky so far for me in pre season. 

Gordon seems to have a spring in his step , Anderson is having a good pre season and is going to be important squad player this season.

Almiron had a quiet game.

Was impressed with Barnes when he came on , he was busy , direct and I think he’s going to create and score a lot of goals this season.

Aston Villa are going to be a problem to most teams this year.

We’re ticking along nicely.

Really impressed with Miley and Anderson. Bruno and Tonali looked like they were working together when we were in possession, but when Villa were breaking it was painful. Would be interesting to see them with Joelinton on the pitch at the same time. That said, it was only a friendly. Interesting to see how things come together.