Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

1 minute ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Richie playing RW and being so clearly two steps below in quality the rest of the midfield and forwards underlines RW as the key area to strengthen.  Remembering that if Wilson is injured we only have Wood to rely on underlines why a striker is the next most important.

We'll get players in those positions. Just a matter of time.

Echoing the statements. Everyone bar Ritchie doesn’t look out of place. But man that RW with Ritchie is an extreme weakness that needs to be sorted. Both ST and RW need to be in place before it shuts.

We need to strengthen simply to keep Bruno. He’s a cut above and if other clubs get a sniff that we’re not progressing they’ll be all over him.

Feels like he’s bought in and we’ve got Botman in; it’d be great to get another statement signing in. If he’s here in 3 years I’m expecting us to be another 2 or 3 levels up as a team. Can’t wait.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We'll get players in those positions. Just a matter of time.

I think we will too. One of the biggest things that has changed since the Ashley and even the Shepherd years is that our decisions have been smart. So often in the past we had clear weakness that were spoken about on here and in the terraces yet the club never addressed them. Fans aren't dumb they know their club.

So far it has been the exact opposite, with signings on and off the pitch strategically addressing key issues. It's so refreshing.

Edited by Geordie_once_removed
Typo

Just now, Tsunami said:

We need to strengthen simply to keep Bruno. He’s a cut above and if other clubs get a sniff that we’re not progressing they’ll be all over him.

Feels like he’s bought in and we’ve got Botman in; it’d be great to get another statement signing in. If he’s here in 3 years I’m expecting us to be another 2 or 3 levels up as a team. Can’t wait.

Oh no ... not the we'll lose Bruno thing again.

I'm sure they were clear with him on their goals in the immediate and long term future, and he was happy to sign. Bruno will be just fine. He's only been here six months.

6 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Richie playing RW and being so clearly two steps below in quality the rest of the midfield and forwards underlines RW as the key area to strengthen.  Remembering that if Wilson is injured we only have Wood to rely on underlines why a striker is the next most important.

3 minutes ago, worthy said:

Echoing the statements. Everyone bar Ritchie doesn’t look out of place. But man that RW with Ritchie is an extreme weakness that needs to be sorted. Both ST and RW need to be in place before it shuts.

Whilst I don't doubt Ritchie a) looks shit and b) is past it, judging him as a right winner seems ridiculous. It's not his position and never has been.

Just now, Jinky said:

First half ratings:

Dubravka 7

Kraft 8

Lascelles 7

Botman 8

Dummett 6

Bruno 9

Willock 6

Joelinton 7

Ritchie 5

Saint-Maximin 9

Wilson 8

I largely agree but numbers aside bar Richie I don't see how you rate Willock the second worst player. He's been a couple of cms off producing some amazing passes

Just now, Geordie_once_removed said:

I largely agree but numbers aside bar Richie I don't see how you rate Willock the second worst player. He's been a couple of cms off producing some amazing passes

Agree, and he's shown some great footwork to open up spaces as well. That run he went on down the left at the end would have made ASM proud - the one where Bruno gave the ball away and they nearly scored on the break.

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Whilst I don't doubt Ritchie a) looks shit and b) is past it, judging him as a right winner seems ridiculous. It's not his position and never has been.

For me it more that he's even played there shows a lack of quality and depth in that position.

If not him then who? Fraser is solid but not really a top 8 starter. Murphy is a jigsaw when it comes to the final pass or shot. Almiron tends to tuck in more and has been inconsistentent to say the least.

Edited by Geordie_once_removed

Arsenal hammered Sevilla 6 nil earlier I see.

Gabriel Jesus hat trick. What a start with them for him. Just friendlies I know, but that man is going to be starting the season full of confidence for them.