Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Hopefully the club have learned something from this and won't arrange another post season friendly like this in future, the spurs game I can sort of understand since it drew some neutral interest, even if the timing was still shite; this game was just a pointless exercise that has had absolutely no benefits whatsoever, in fact it can only really reflect badly on us. 

No benefit, apart from the £3m we got?

a post-season friend is also quite different to a pre-season friendly 

the only ones who should be embarrassed are the organisers

imagine thinking Newcastle were going to risk anyone for a 2nd game in 3 day having just finished the season last Sunday and travelled for 24 hours 

at least the club got a payday 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Hopefully the club have learned something from this and won't arrange another post season friendly like this in future, the spurs game I can sort of understand since it drew some neutral interest, even if the timing was still shite; this game was just a pointless exercise that has had absolutely no benefits whatsoever, in fact it can only really reflect badly on us. 

The Messi saga in HK is something we should have taken note of. 

That being said, we need money badly and RP transaction rules are really shackles for us. 

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

3m is really not worth it; sell a couple of the shits who played today and get it.

Of course 3m is worth it. All we’ve heard all year is how up against the limit we are

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

3m is really not worth it; sell a couple of the shits who played today and get it.

After that performance the queue to sign them will be massive!

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

£3m for a couple of exhibition games is worth it.

Well it's £3m but also the opportunity to build a revenue opportunity through brand recognition. I've no idea if this means we've lost that opportunity/failed to maximise that opportunity; that's for the commercial brains to pick over in the future.  

I'm just disappointed for those fans who forked out but I guess the whole thing is so flawed that expectations hopefully weren't particularly high.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I mean I’ve paid money to go to plenty of meaningless friendlies and watched mainly reserves lose. Not sure what people were expecting at this stage of the season.

Expecting players like Dummett and Ritchie who are being paid thousands for nothing to at least get a run out. As I said it's the fans who never have the opportunity to see us play, turning up and not seeing one senior player involved who I feel sorry for. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Well it's £3m but also the opportunity to build a revenue opportunity through brand recognition. I've no idea if this means we've lost that opportunity/failed to maximise that opportunity; that's for the commercial brains to pick over in the future.  

I'm just disappointed for those fans who forked out but I guess the whole thing is so flawed that expectations hopefully weren't particularly high.

I just don't see how some can't see this, you're 100% correct in everything you say here

7 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

a post-season friend is also quite different to a pre-season friendly 

the only ones who should be embarrassed are the organisers

imagine thinking Newcastle were going to risk anyone for a 2nd game in 3 day having just finished the season last Sunday and travelled for 24 hours 

at least the club got a payday 

What does your post season friend do during the season? ?

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Expecting players like Dummett and Ritchie who are being paid thousands for nothing to at least get a run out. As I said it's the fans who never have the opportunity to see us play, turning up and not seeing one senior player involved who I feel sorry for. 

I get the point you’re trying to make, but I’m almost certain the fans aren’t disappointed that they didn’t see Ritchie or Dummett.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I get the point you’re trying to make, but I’m almost certain the fans aren’t disappointed that they didn’t see Ritchie or Dummett.

For us aye I agree, but they are players who have played a number of games for the club so fans who never have the opportunity to have seen them or us probably will. Don't understand why he didn't use Hall or Anderson also even for 20 minutes. 

18 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

The club gets money for it, that's the benefit

I don't blame the club for taking it, FFP/PSR has meant we don't have the luxury of turning such things down 

The exact attitude that sees home fans continually fucked over here. Cash is king, fuck anything else. 

Get Silverstone a statue next to Shearer and SBR. 

14 minutes ago, christ said:

No benefit, apart from the £3m we got?

There's no benefit to it being arranged post season, is more my point. There's no reason these same games couldn't have been arranged for July, it's clear from the team Howe named that he had no appetite for this fixture existing either. 

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

There's no benefit to it being arranged post season, is more my point.

What about if it was to help with ffp before end of June?

1 minute ago, Ronson333 said:

If we’re going to go, at least make a bit of effort. You’re representing the club, so make a bit of effort and don’t lose 8-0 ffs.

Does anyone even care?

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

What about if it was to help with ffp before end of June?

Then my immediate thought is surely there's an easier way to materialise 3 million quid than travelling across the world, it's not exactly a huge amount of money in football.

If the fixture was absolutely necessary, then at least play some fringe first teamers (Ritchie, Dummett, Krafth etc) so it isn't a PR embarrassment and a waste of money for fans who've forked up. 

Just now, Andy said:

Then my immediate thought is surely there's an easier way to materialise 3 million quid than travelling across the world, it's not exactly a huge amount of money in football.

If the fixture was absolutely necessary, then at least play some fringe first teamers (Ritchie, Dummett, Krafth etc) so it isn't a PR embarrassment and a waste of money for fans who've forked up. 

Not with related party transaction rules in place it isn’t.