Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Hang on, is it...

GAME 1:

The men in black and white prevailed in each of their respective halves, with a team captained by Jamaal Lascelles beating a youthful Burnley 4-1 over 45 minutes with goals from Joe Willock (2), Elliot Anderson and Miguel Almirón.

HT: 4-1

Almirón was back on the scoresheet against Burnley’s stronger line-up after a short break, rounding off a 2-1 scoreline after Clarets left-back Ian Maatsen had cancelled out Callum Wilson’s clinical opener.

FT: 6-2

-----------------

GAME 2:

Meanwhile, a United XI captained by Dan Burn prevailed 1-0 against an experienced Burnley side led up top by Ashley Barnes and Jay Rodriguez - Allan Saint-Maximin getting the only goal from close range.

HT: 1-0

After the break, Matt Ritchie and Jacob Murphy were on the scoresheet against a younger-looking Burnley, sending the Magpies into Tuesday’s match at Benfica on the back of a clean sweep.

FT: 3-0

...?

It was 6-1 and 3-1 :lol:.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/content/lisbon-training-session-with-newcastle makes it clearer.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

The teams were:

Pope

Krafth   Botman   Burn   Bondswell

Guimarães   Shelvey   Joelinton

Ritchie   Saint-Maximin   Murphy

&

Darlow

Trippier   Lascelles   Dummett   Targett

Willock   S. Longstaff   Anderson

Almiron   Wilson   Fraser

Centre mid in the first team....

It's nice that we can miss a couple of players and it not be a major issue mind.

I like the look of our second choice CM, Willock, Longstaff and Anderson. 3 young English players, be nice to see the 3 grow together.

I'm sure there's very little to really glean from the scorelines but to have scored nine goals within about five minutes of Howe saying "we're gonna start a bit of attack training" reflects pretty well on the guy. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm sure there's very little to really glean from the scorelines but to have scored nine goals within about five minutes of Howe saying "we're gonna start a bit of attack training" reflects pretty well on the guy. :lol:

Its a confidence thing too. Some need that boost of a couple of goals in a friendly, like Miggy or Willock perhaps. Where as I don't think Wilson or Bruno ever doubt their abilities.

Benfica is a different game though. We need our strongest 11 and a tactical plan or the opposite could happen.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Its a confidence thing too. Some need that boost of a couple of goals in a friendly, like Miggy or Willock perhaps. Where as I don't think Wilson or Bruno ever doubt their abilities.

Benfica is a different game though. We need our strongest 11 and a tactical plan or the opposite could happen.

Nah, Eddie needs to do whatever he thinks is best to have us in the right place for two weeks time, that may be full strength, it might not be. He may try a few different things during it.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Nah, Eddie needs to do whatever he thinks is best to have us in the right place for two weeks time, that may be full strength, it might not be. He may try a few different things during it.

I doubt it. Reckon it will be dress rehearsal, then loads of subs after 60 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Disco said:

ASM too lazy to play in both games I see. Absolutely sickening what his attitude has been this preseason. Should be fined if he hasn’t been already.

Bet he parked his car in the disabled bay too, and then rolled around on the ground when he got a ticket.

24 minutes ago, Disco said:

ASM too lazy to play in both games I see. Absolutely sickening what his attitude has been this preseason. Should be fined if he hasn’t been already.

Heard he took the shot and scored when he could have released the ball sooner for a player in a worse position to miss.

Such a fucker, he is.

And he parked his electric scooter in the cleaners cupboard! ?‍♂️

Edited by mighty__mag