Pre-season (2024/25): Yokohama F Marinos 2-0 Newcastle United FT

bowlingcrofty

Just now, 500bhp said:

And a defensive one. That midfield three looks poor today. No pace very lethargic and being cut open on the counter. It's only a friendly and we'll improve before the season starts.

In fairness. 1 of the 3 is longstaff. So it’s expected. Another 1 of the 3 is Bruno. Who’s playing his first pre season game so isn’t going to be at full capability yet. 

Joelinton lacks nous & midfield intelligence imo, I know he’s strong and can win the ball back so well but if we’re to progress I feel we need more quality. I’d be tempted to play Wilock although again I feel he’s more a no10 than a deeper midfielder. Really hope Tonali hits the ground running.

Just now, timnufc22 said:

Joelinton lacks nous & midfield intelligence imo, I know he’s strong and can win the ball back so well but if we’re to progress I feel we need more quality. I’d be tempted to play Wilock although again I feel he’s more a no10 than a deeper midfielder. Really hope Tonali hits the ground running.

Willock is awful as deeper midfielder. It's been tried and it didn't work at all.

1 minute ago, timnufc22 said:

He's fine. And has a top level skill he provides for the team, in pressing and breaking up play in midfield.

The issue is having him in there with a Longstaff and an Almiron. 

The combination of these three is always going to make our build up suffer.

What we need is Tonali in for Longstaff and a more capable right winger.

1 minute ago, timnufc22 said:

Wouldn’t be so bad if whoever was on the right of the 3 had quality on the ball, passing or running with it. But Longstaff and Joelinton are both more about what they do out of possession. 

Hopefully Tonali and Willock are available for a lot more games this season. 

There's a problem because Hall has been given the licence to get more forward and more central, but Joelinton isn't covering the gap that he leaves. Perhaps he doesn't really have the mobility to do that, but their goal arose from that problem, and it wasn't the first time that the problem arose.

Barnes has wasted a few opportunities due to poor technique.

Yokahama look the better side, but they're already match fit and are more used to the conditions.

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

There's a problem because Hall has been given the licence to get more forward and more central, but Joelinton isn't covering the gap that he leaves. Perhaps he doesn't really have the mobility to do that, but their goal arose from that problem, and it wasn't the first time that the problem arose.

Barnes has wasted a few opportunities due to poor technique.

Yokahama look the better side, but they're already match fit and are more used to the conditions.

Big Joe looks very heavy legged. Heat? Training? Definite difference in normal energy levels with him and with Tino. Both looked like they were running through treacle trying to get back at points.