Pre-season (2024/25): Yokohama F Marinos 2-0 Newcastle United

bowlingcrofty

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

What’s people’s thoughts on the attendance today? 13k seems very poor. Any reasons why so other than Mike Ashley.

Symbolises how much work there is to do. Despite some very top level marketing supporting the 3rd kit launch while over there.

Success will give us more fans overseas but it will take time. Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea have dominated the Asian market for years, it will take time to build a following.

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

What’s people’s thoughts on the attendance today? 13k seems very poor. Any reasons why so other than Mike Ashley.

Urawa averaging 36k in J League this season. 

Impression I got from watching Japanese football was I'd imagine they probably rather spend their money watching actual league football than daft kickabouts. Particularly in the middle of the season.

Edited by ponsaelius

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

We aren’t much of a name (although our away end looked full FWIW so people who cared obviously went) for your average Japanese punter, it’s absolutely minging hot in Japan at the moment and their season is in full swing so it’s the ultimate level of pointlessness. Plus it was just after work finishing. 

Football in Japan is big but not huge, games don’t sell out for domestic games on a regular basis even less so for teams with legacy WC stadiums. Saying that I thought there’d be more there. I went to watch Urawa play when they were in top v second clash and it was full but not a sell out by any stretch. 

Be interesting for the next one as it’s being played in a neutral venue so way further for Yokohama fans to travel albeit for Tokyo based football generic fans it’s 100% easier to get to compared to today, it couldn’t be convenient given the size of the city, and it’s a Saturday. 

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

To be fair it seems that people were just avoiding that little mug as my mates posted a pic with Eales and it looks much busier behind them

Yeah this pic looks better so probably misleading first image. Guessing everyone wanting to sit forwards.

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

See they took some of the kids teams away too for training. Not sure if they are playing any local schools as well. My mates son is out there, red n whiter too

The u15s appear to have a game against a local side over there, only noticed on J league international insta page today.

8 minutes ago, NE27 said:

The u15s appear to have a game against a local side over there, only noticed on J league international insta page today.

Ah nice one, that must be his team. Hes the keeper, wonder if their youtube shows that live :lol: