Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

14 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

Looking at the line-up last time we were in the US and it was absolutely tragic. Imagine travelling miles to see Newcastle and Shane Ferguson and Adam Armstrong is playing.

This time the USA folks get to watch Big Joe, Bruno, Isak and Botman.

I remember driving 10+ hours with my 8-month pregnant wife in 2011 to watch a turgid 0-0 with Sporting KC in 100 degree F weather - she was a real trooper, I give her massive credit. I did get to go to training and pre-match sessions, watching Hatem was very very special indeed. But otherwise, yikes.

Edited by Memphis

28 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Found a cheap hotel on Kensington Avenue in Philly. $8 per night. Going to use it as a base for the week.

Had a brief google of Kensington Ave.

Hmm.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

Is this part of some concerted Premier League US tour?

We just announced obvs the match with you but also Fulham and Brentford in Orlando and Baltimore.

Yep. PL ‘official’ USA tour (“Summer Series”) - Masters was bleating about it earlier I think. Replaces the old Asian trophy thing that was every other year. For what it’s worth, Man Utd and Arsenal are also in the USA but doing their own thing.

As someone who knows very little about the geography of the US, what's the travel time like / time zone difference if any between those three games?

Only asking as I seem to remember that pre-season under McClaren was a disaster as we spent too long jetting around and travelling and not enough time training and recovering properly etc.

Of course I trust that nowadays Howe and people who've proven to know what they're doing will balance the commercial benefit of this trip with ensuring it doesn't disrupt prep for the big kick off, but still wanted to ask the question...

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

As someone who knows very little about the geography of the US, what's the travel time like / time zone difference if any between those three games?

Only asking as I seem to remember that pre-season under McClaren was a disaster as we spent too long jetting around and travelling and not enough time training and recovering properly etc.

Of course I trust that nowadays Howe and people who've proven to know what they're doing will balance the commercial benefit of this trip with ensuring it doesn't disrupt prep for the big kick off, but still wanted to ask the question...

Same time zone. Longest flight would be like two hours max. 

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

The whole thing, including non-Newcastle, is in the eastern time zone. I'm guessing this was a request of the clubs involved. Newcastle does have a decent amount of travel since it's Philly > Atlanta > back up to NJ (not far from Philly). But no time changes other than to/from the UK.

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

The whole thing, including non-Newcastle, is in the eastern time zone. I'm guessing this was a request of the clubs involved. Newcastle does have a decent amount of travel since it's Philly > Atlanta > back up to NJ (not far from Philly). But no time changes other than to/from the UK.

Roughly speaking it's like playing in Newcastle then Zurich then Edinburgh in the span of six days. 

37 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Yep. PL ‘official’ USA tour (“Summer Series”) - Masters was bleating about it earlier I think. Replaces the old Asian trophy thing that was every other year. For what it’s worth, Man Utd and Arsenal are also in the USA but doing their own thing.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense.

Before the PL was the best league in the world, it was definitely the best marketed one, and that's not changed since then.