Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

Need to get those signing in (as we all know), the lack of quality in that final third was glaring. Almiron, Frazer, Murphy and Wood offer virtually nothing in terms of creation and goals. Thankfully, I think come the end of the window this should be sorted.

Edited by et tu brute

Just now, Stifler said:

Yeah, he was poor and as much as I defended him in the past, he needs to be moved on.

I'd still play him ahead of Fraser and Almiron, but it really is like picking your wife from a tree logging contest.

That didn't teach us much we didn't already know. We have some really good players who are capable of some really good patterns of play, but we lack quality in the final third.

We looked a bit knackered, but its be expected in this weather at the end of an intense week.

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

To make what I think are a series of sensible observations:

- we look very comfortable moving the ball side to side

- full backs very involved 

- step down from Bruno to everyone else is very noticeable 

- Anderson looked good

- Murphy, Fraser and trippier were poor 

- wood did nothing but Wilson didn’t do much more 

- we didn’t make too many good chances 

ASM was again poor, very static

We never play the ball into the striker's feet

The set plays were gash 

Dummet, Ritchie, Murphy, Fraser, Wood are not good enough 

Not much new from watching that. Solid back line, decent in the middle, minus an attacking playmaker. Wings are piss poor. Minus Wilson, we're championship up top.

Need a  Young, Pacy CF, Right winger who can play football with end product. Midfielder who can unlock a defence. 

Paqueta, Diaby and Dennis would do.

Side note. Anderson should be in the squad and Murphy and Almiron should be left in Austria.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

I agree that he’s not good defensively and there are times where he doesn’t chase and compete defensively as much as he should.

With the effort hes put into getting in the best shape we've seen him in this summer I think he will be able to adapt his game a bit more now to cover those weaknesses, the lack of chasing always seemed like a bit physical limitation for me. I think this will be his best season for us.

5 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

To get players in we also need to create space, Shelvey is out of contract next year and our midfield options ahead of him are solid. Wouldn't be missed.

He's looking like he will be backup to Bruno, which would be the perfect role for him, dictating play in that deeper position.

Please tell me who on Earth you see in the team that will fulfil that role if Shelvey leaves?

If that game taught us anything, it's that tried and tested flops like Almiron and Murphy are out of their depth at this level. Miggy wasn't awful, but ultimately he just buzzed around like a pesky mosquito.

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

i don’t know what “do anything of sort of come out of difficult situations” means. Otherwise, he’s legitimately one of our most dynamic players - he can do things with a ball and spots runs into space which very few players can. He’s technically a very adept footballer. I wouldn’t say him going too deep is some form of character flaw, he was instructed to play there by consecutive managers. I agree that he’s not good defensively and there are times where he doesn’t chase and compete defensively as much as he should.

Difficult situations = tight spaces, under pressure, no time on the ball and so on. That is why he goes too deep. Also how many goals or assists does he contribute with? I know he is good technically and has a good foot but he lacks too much other stuff to make it any level higher than midtable regular at best. Kaka, quit the bias made up bullshit. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Anderson on the left, Maxi on the right.

I can see you're reading my previous posts :-)

Edited by HawK

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He's looking like he will be backup to Bruno, which would be the perfect role for him, dictating play in that deeper position.

Please tell me who on Earth you see in the team that will fulfil that role if Shelvey leaves?

Replace him with Florian Grillitsch on a free, happy days.

7 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Or people have only watched Shelvey when we are in possession. Not what he is doing off the ball. Plus he needs time and space to create anything. A reason why he goes brutally deep more often than not.

@KaKaagrees with me and its common knowledge what KaKa says is gospel. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Didn’t really learn much we didn’t already know, season will be decided on if we can bring in attacking players, if we don’t we will be between 10th-12th imo

I mean, its a pre season game where we changed the entire starting 11. We arnt going to learn much at all other than seeing who gets up to speed fitness wise. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Didn’t really learn much we didn’t already know, season will be decided on if we can bring in attacking players, if we don’t we will be between 10th-12th imo

We haven't even seen our strongest 11 play together yet, so not sure how people are drawing these sorts of conclusions.

They're clearly mixing the teams up, to force certain players to try and bring more out of some of the lesser players, and challenge them more.

Good workout, certainly helpful in gauging who isn’t really up to it and what we need. Another striker and RW based on today’s showing. Fraser can do a job and look decent but he’s been poor in the 2 games I’ve seen.

Anderson impressed today, looked better than Longstaff. Be good to see him get a start. 

Couple of astute signings and we’ll good to go.

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Also looks like he came back in ridiculously good shape. People just cannot let go of their previous bias when it comes to certain players, no matter what. It's so childish man.

Or they can acknowledge and appreciate their improvement whilst also observing that they should be replaced in the starting eleven?