Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Obviously but you're missing the point, you've got Paqueta and Brunos positions backwards on that. So if we sign Paqeuta that still means that Shelvey is second choice to Bruno.. so again - how does signing Paqueta upgrade the position that Shelvey plays in?

Paqueta is an attacking midfielder, Bruno sits in the pivot.

It upgrades the position Shelvey plays in because we have better players playing there.

Just now, loki679 said:

Paqueta is an attacking midfielder, Bruno sits in the pivot.

It upgrades the position Shelvey plays in because we have better players playing there.

But Shelvey is still second choice to Bruno who would be starting there anyway? Bruno wont be starting as one of the front 2 while Joe and Willock are fit. 

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Signing Paqueta, dropping Shelvey and playing Bruno there is fixing the problem. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Definitely our best option to strengthen and take us up a level, if that deal is possible we need to try and make it.

At the moment Shelvey starts deep with Bruno further forward because we don’t have depth of quality  in midfield. If you signed Paqueta, or any other more progressive midfielder, it allows Bruno to play deeper and therefore would move Shelvey out of the team. Therefore he would be replacing Shelvey.

I'm amazed this needs explaining or is at all a confusing concept.

It’s almost like rather than a completely rigid and binary game football is actually a sport where players can play multiple positions and teams can play various slightly different tactical systems to accommodate said players.

Edited by ponsaelius

Bruno/

Shelvey

Willock/                             Joe

Longstaff

'Shelvey is a weak link so lets sign Paqueta!!' 

Reckon we'll see the current 5 midfielders rotated quite a bit this season if we don't bring anyone in. 

Think Bruno will pay both roles depending on who else is starting. 

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

At the moment Shelvey starts deep with Bruno further forward because we don’t have depth of quality  in midfield. If you signed Paqueta, or any other more progressive midfielder, it allows Bruno to play deeper and therefore would move Shelvey out of the team. Therefore he would be replacing Shelvey.

Brunos natural positon is Shelveys position, he wont be playing part of the front 2 of midfield after the summer. Shelvey remains as second choice there. 

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

Bruno/

Shelvey

Willock/                             Joe

Longstaff

'Shelvey is a weak link so lets sign Paqueta!!' 

But that’s not how we’ve played. :lol: Shelvey has played deep and Bruno has played as one of the more advanced two. That is likely to continue to be the case a lot of the time next season without further signings. A progressive midfield signing of higher quality would replace Shelvey and Bruno could drop back.

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

Reckon we'll see the current 5 midfielders rotated quite a bit this season if we don't bring anyone in. 

Think Bruno will pay both roles depending on who else is starting. 

Abolutely we sign a CM I think although its of a lower priority than RW. We are so light in CM otherwise, one injury and a suspension and we can barely put together a midfield let alone have options on the bench. 

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Brunos natural positon is Shelveys position, he wont be playing part of the front 2 of midfield after the summer. Shelvey remains as second choice there. 

We had Shelvey sitting and Bruno further forward last season? Don't know what your doing on about tbh you seem to be the only one who can't grasp a pretty simple explanation.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

But that’s not how we’ve played. :lol: Shelvey has played deep and Bruno has played as one of the more advanced two. That is likely to continue to be the case a lot of the time next season without further signings. A progressive midfield signing of higher quality would replace Shelvey and Bruno could drop back.

Read my last reply to you, not sure its worth going over again.

Just now, WillingtonMag said:

We had Shelvey sitting and Bruno further forward last season? Don't know what your doing on about tbh you seem to be the only one who can't grasp a pretty simple explanation.

Because we are so light in CM we played Bruno out of his natural position. Its really not hard to understand. 

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Think you're forgetting that Shelvey was a first choice team selection before his injury.

Just now, Nine said:

Because we are so light in CM we played Bruno out of his natural position. Its really not hard to understand. 

So if we sign a quality CM like Paqueta then.........

Just now, Nine said:

Read my last reply to you, not sure its worth going over again.

Without new signings Shelvey will absolutely continue to play games deep with Bruno further forward. Why would you think he wouldn’t? At the moment Shelvey is probably still in our strongest XI - unless Willock/Longstaff/Anderson can push him out.

Just now, loki679 said:

So if we sign a quality CM like Paqueta then.........

Which was my original point - 'weak link' Shelvey is still second choice [emoji38][emoji38] Holy shit man