Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

This post was brought to you by the year 2010. 

Lol…where I probably enjoyed football the most and where I took most interest until lately! 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Hulk, Di Maria, Pastore, Veloso, Baptista, Balotelli, Berbatov, Wilshere, Walcott, D.Luiz, Joe Cole…

Not having that at all.

The rest, aye

Beckham is slightly under-rated. He was a fantastic player in his day. Not as good as his celebrity suggests but like.. closer than he's given credit for.

Same thing with Rice. He's not worth the 100m+ quoted. But he's the real deal. Fergie would've been all over him.

Modric - if you swap him out of Croatia & Real Madrid, which players would've done more or equalled his success with those teams? IMO only the very best of all-time. He's surpassed the Scholes, Xabi Alonso, Kroos etc. and has carved himself into a unique immortal of the modern game

Edited by The College Dropout

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

True that’s why I went for Modric :lol: but Salah, damn lol

Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but in terms of ability he’s not one of the best in the world imo. He’s just perfectly suited to Klopp’s system. I think if you put him in Man City’s team he’d get crazy numbers too fwiw, but if you put him in a different tactical setup he’d struggle like he did at Chelsea.

Edited by Smal

Guest ManDoon
2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Beckham is slightly under-rated. He was a fantastic player in his day. Not as good as his celebrity suggests but like.. closer than he's given credit for.

Same thing with Rice. He's not worth the 100m+ quoted. But he's the real deal.

Modric - if you swap him out of Croatia & Real Madrid, which players would've done more or equalled his success with those teams? IMO only the very best of all-time. He's surpassed the Scholes, Xabi Alonso, Kroos etc. and has carved himself into a unique immortal of the modern game

I wholeheartedly disagree he’s anywhere near as good as Scholes or Alonso.  This is how I mean when I say hes overrated, he’s not in the echelon of the great CMs

Guest ManDoon
1 minute ago, Smal said:

Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but in terms of ability he’s not one of the best in the world imo. He’s just perfectly suited to Klopp’s system. I think if you put him in Man City’s team he’d get crazy numbers too fwiw, but if you put him in a different tactics setup he’d struggle like he did at Chelsea.

Fair enough, I think I can apply that to Mane, but I think Salah is able to do it any set up. Mane is a very Liverpool system player I’d say 

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Sergio Ramos - absolute shit-house clogger playing in soft leagues, with brilliant players around him and given a very long leash by referees because of the teams he played for.

He would've been a disaster in the PL

La Liga was the best league in Europe for most of his career and he won 4 Champions Leagues. They actually fell apart without him defensively the few times he missed big CL games.

Guest ManDoon
Just now, triggs said:

La Liga was the best league in Europe for most of his career and he won 4 Champions Leagues. They actually fell apart without him defensively the few times he missed big CL games.

He’s one of the best CBs of all time imo. Easily 

Current PL, off the top of my head:

Aaron Ramsdale - decent shot stopper, but his all round game is quite poor. He's prone to a gaff too. No idea why he receives rave reviews.

Tyrone Mings - seems to receive a lot of plaudits, but is very error prone. Konsa is by far the better of the pair.

Virgil van Dijk - don't get me wrong, he's top class. Recently though, there's been a few in the media describing him as one of the best of all time and mentioning in him in the same breath as the greats. World class defender, but steady on.

Jesse Lingard - had a very tidy spell at West Ham, but he's had a career that could be described as average at best. Carries the ball well, but offers little else.

ASM: whenever you see any kind of Newcastle coverage, he's regularly described on glowing terms. I'm an ASM appreciator, not a hater, but opposition fans and pundits regard him far too highly.

14 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Kane - Plays too deep yet plays as a poacher. Good finisher, but would be genuinely class if he had the backbone to play as a genuine 9. Adds little beyond his goals.

Little apart from the most assists in the PL over the last two seasons.

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I wholeheartedly disagree he’s anywhere near as good as Scholes or Alonso.  This is how I mean when I say hes overrated, he’s not in the echelon of the great CMs

Wow, I generally agree with you on most things but I think Modric is miles better than both of those. Don't really get the system thing either as he's also outstanding for Croatia

I think it took me far too long to include character, leadership, and influence as part of how good a footballer someone is, instead of it being this external thing to things directly related to playing the game. Those attributes from players like Ramos or Muller for that matter that you can't really see can't be understated like, they're massive. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

Paul Scholes

Absolutely no. If he was born in Spain/France/Italy he'd be considered one of the worlds greatest. We never really appreciated what he did over here. When it takes people like Zidane etc. to say he was the best midfielder ever, you should probably listen. The best players in the world would always say you couldn't get near him with the ball and he would always use it well, whether it's short or long passing. The very best hated playing against him.

18 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm canny fascinated by those players that are all over the place with how they're rated. 

There's those that are deemed so over-rated for whatever reason that they end up being criminally underrated (Beckham, Henderson)
Those that always get labelled as underrated but either aren't, or get called underrated so often that it's clear they aren't (Makelele, Kante)

There are other categories like that as well, I just can't remember

Oh yeah, players who get called underrated so often they end up being overrated - Carrick. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Oh yeah, players who get called underrated so often they end up being overrated - Carrick. 

Are you talking to yourself? :lol:

14 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Lol…where I probably enjoyed football the most and where I took most interest until lately! 

Hahaha, you saved me racking my brains for a few of the ones you've listed tbf. Liked Di Maria though. 

Guest ManDoon
2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Beat me to it. Was just about to post him. Most fetishized player ever

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Oh. Modric's way better than Alonso (specifically) and Scholes.

I was literally just about to say Alonso was over-rated. Simply not in the class of Modric. Alonso was never an athletic player and he couldn't handle a stretched game. That's why he often played with hard-runners alongside him to compensate (Mascherano, Khedira, Modric). You could also press Alonso out of a game. He had slow feet. He wanted a little bit of time on the ball and couldn't jink his way out of a high press. When he was swapped with Kroos I immediately saw the improvement in the teams fluidity. Kroos could play every pass Alonso could but he was more athletic (at the time) and could move around the pitch more and he was better when pressed. Having spent some time at #10 his close control, agility, shift of balance was better. Modric has better mobility at 36 than Alonso had at 25. Obviously way better feet.

I say this as someone that has followed Real Madrid semi-closely for 15-years.

The Scholes thing is not an argument either. Scholes never turned up for England. Put any Scholes in Croatia 2018 and they don't get out the group.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Beat me to it. Was just about to post him. Most fetishized player ever

Not his fault either, he was really good, I really rated him and he probably would have worked in that system for England, but he's become the silver bullet that would have solved all of the problems with the Golden Generation, which is just daft.