Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

Ayoze Perez

Jonas

Joey Barton

Perez - wholeheartedly agree. He got a few goals in a shocking team, but other than that, he was woeful. His fingers in ears celebration followed by hasily f ing off to Leicester was a massive two fingers at the fans. Is largely hated at Leicester now.

Jonas - harsh. Decent player, cracking bloke, fondly remembered. 

Barton - Bit harsh. Decent player but an absolute thunderc*** personality wise.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

Legend obviously at Roma, one club man and all that but I never got the hype around Totti. Never really saw 'talismanic' performances from him, that I did from the likes of Del Piero,  Zola et al. 

Beckham - goodish player who had a good publicist and played for man u

G Neville - good right back but other better right backs around at the time. Another who got the england call for man u connections

Darren anderton - injured sort of maybe right winger(ish) who got his england call due to Venables spurs connections

That spurs keeper who I've already forgotten the name of - another Venables golden boy who was picked for no other reason than the spurs/Venables connection

Kennet fucking Anderson - meh Swedish player but the media wanked over him so much the likes of which Steve fucking Bruce could only dream of

Colocini - I know he's a darling of some on here and I realize I am biased because he is from our tainted period of history but he was part of the apologists what with his questionable john carver letter, plus he was always "injured" and back in Argentina for Christmas

Shaka Hislop - watched him at reading and thought he was a bit all at sea. No way he way better than Pav. But I love Pav so might concede this one

Wes brown - oh you play for man u you say? Have a call up!

Stan collymore - just didn't rate him. I can't remember why but I just didn't

Peter crouch - oooh he's tall, let's cap him

Emile heskey - utter wank. " but his work rate for england was so underated!" Yeah, fuck off. I remember being in the kabab shop coming from work and england were winning against France 1-0. He got brought on as a sub and I said "Awwww fuck, watch england lose now". By the time I'd got home (a 10 minute walk) France had won 2-1

Vinnie Jones - pretend media hard man that masks his many limitations and single handedly ruined the x-men

Carlton palmer - I still can not for the life of me understand why he was picked above so many others. I mean, he didn't even play for man u

Ahhhhh! Thank you for the chance to rant. Great therapeutic work out :)

*edited for France v England score

Edited by Stal

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He's 37.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I watched him in his earlier years, fell out with football over the Ashley years and now watching him again in his current time at man u. I wasn't judging him all on his current stint.

Micah Richards given he is everywhere as a pundit, perhaps is able to glorify and overrate his past a little. Because of his louder than life personality, he is seated with bona fide legends of the Premier League in Shearer, Lineker, Keane, Neville, Henry etc as peers, whereas he was only good a for a few seasons before Zabaleta ensured he never got a look in, again. 

6 minutes ago, Stal said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I watched him in his earlier years, fell out with football over the Ashley years and now watching him again in his current time at man u. I wasn't judging him all on his current stint.

You only missed the over 550 goals he scored for Real Madrid and Juventus. :lol:

Edited by Pata

Just now, Pata said:

You only missed the over 500 goals he scored for Real Madrid and Juventus. :lol:

???

Aye, I bet he won a fair few free kicks using his run, trick, fall over routine then as well ?

I think Ayoze Perez being mentioned in this thread is a fucking disgrace :lol: are the East Stand pensioners out in force?

Number one for me has to be Paul Scholes. Best Premier League centre mid of all time, so good he got shunted out wide left for England. Gets better with every passing season he's been retired.

Just now, Pilko said:

I think Ayoze Perez being mentioned in this thread is a fucking disgrace :lol: are the East Stand pensioners out in force?

Number one for me has to be Paul Scholes. Best Premier League centre mid of all time, so good he got shunted out wide left for England. Gets better with every passing season he's been retired.

They did this with quite a few players. Joe Cole and kieron dyer come to mind for starters. It was all about shoehorning in the current darlings than playing the best in those positions.

20 minutes ago, Stal said:

Kennet fucking Anderson - meh Swedish player but the media wanked over him so much the likes of which Steve fucking Bruce could only dream of

Stan collymore - just didn't rate him. I can't remember why but I just didn't

Ahhhhh! Thank you for the chance to rant. Great therapeutic work out :)

Yes. Collymore. One of about fifty strikers we were linked with in 95 with cash to burn. Had a great season with Forest but was glad we didn't go there based on just one season - and that Liverpool paid 8.5m for him. 

In the end 94/95 and 95/96 were the only seasons he wasn't sh1t. Flash in the pan for me.

Kennet Anderson: had a trial with us in the 2nd tier under Keegan, a girl I knew said he was 'sh1te' in a reserve match he played in, was just a bit weird getting a international from the Euro's in those days and deciding not to bother, when he fetched up in USA 94, I wondered what KK made of it.

Edited by Wolfcastle

How did Perez dare to do that celebration after being booed by the idiots for ages and then had the nerve to leave Ashley's project for Leicester for the paltry sum of 30 million? 

ffs :lol:

Off topic but can I just say, I am loving this thread. It's the only time I've felt I could fully contribute something without asking questions. Loving reading through the opinions too, proper smiling whilst going through the thread. 

Thank you so much ???

18 minutes ago, Stal said:

???

Aye, I bet he won a fair few free kicks using his run, trick, fall over routine then as well ?

He basically stopped dribbling about 10 years ago mate :lol:

Maybe slightly off topic, but players who were perpetually injured for a good part of their career: e.g Owen Hargreaves, Ledley King etc but everyone still swore they were world class. Seems overhyped if you can't physically play a match :dontknow:

1 hour ago, kingxlnc said:

Micah Richards given he is everywhere as a pundit, perhaps is able to glorify and overrate his past a little. Because of his louder than life personality, he is seated with bona fide legends of the Premier League in Shearer, Lineker, Keane, Neville, Henry etc as peers, whereas he was only good a for a few seasons before Zabaleta ensured he never got a look in, again. 

Everyone knows he wasn’t a top player though, including himself. 

2 hours ago, Stal said:

This for me. Watched him a few times live at the match and obviously loads on tv.

It's just "run, trick, run, failed trick, dive, whine and gesture at the ref"

*disclaimer: remember I got more and more disinterested in football as the ashley years went on so maybe he improved but I've been watching him at man u and his attitude is just as bad as I remember.

Run, trick, run, failed trick, dive, whine, become the highest scoring player in the history of football. 

4 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Legend obviously at Roma, one club man and all that but I never got the hype around Totti. Never really saw 'talismanic' performances from him, that I did from the likes of Del Piero,  Zola et al. 

Totti, in his prime, was an unbelievable player.