General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

On 14/07/2023 at 22:14, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

just been watching this on YouTube and given the sock colour debates of recent years, I’m going to say it we need to bring back the hooped variety

Absolutely loved that. Thanks for posting ?

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Four years today since our worst ever managerial appointment!

The day I thought, "what's the point anymore". I thought after Rafa we'd get maybe a good young European manager who didn't know any better but would still relish a challenge here, or even Arteta who we were linked with.

Bruce being appointed though. :lol:

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Four years today since our worst ever managerial appointment!

Richard Dinnis ? Bill McGarry  ? Joe Kinnear ? John Carver ? And I'd make an argument for Bruce being no worse than Fat Sam.

For all the shit Sam gets, he’d done a great job at Bolton and was expected a go at an ambitious club.

Carver and Kinnear might be worse football managers, Souness was a terrible choice and v impactful, but Bruce was the biggest kick in the teeth in my lifetime , just a real statement of ‘we’re shit and it’s all you lot deserve and are ever getting’

Edited by Superior Acuña

Bruce might not have been the worst manager (easily up there) but he was probably the worst appointment in my lifetime, which is what Paully said. Just an incredibly dark moment in the club's modern history. Souness disastrous too of course but it avoids the title on the basis that it was an actual (incredibly flawed) football decision with the club's best interests - as a sporting entity - in mind.

19 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Souness by far the worst in my lifetime. It was a complete sliding-doors moment for the club.

But it was still made for football reasons. As Yorkie said, it's the depressing admission that we never want to achieve anything that marks Bruce out in particular. 

1 hour ago, madras said:

Richard Dinnis ? Bill McGarry  ? Joe Kinnear ? John Carver ? And I'd make an argument for Bruce being no worse than Fat Sam.

Carver was actually the worst manager I can remember in recent memory, he just struck me as a charv who had somehow landed a coaching role. For some reason I can't get the image of him walking home with a carrier bag of cheap lager from his local off licence out of my mind.

39 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Bruce might not have been the worst manager (easily up there) but he was probably the worst appointment in my lifetime, which is what Paully said. Just an incredibly dark moment in the club's modern history. Souness disastrous too of course but it avoids the title on the basis that it was an actual (incredibly flawed) football decision with the club's best interests - as a sporting entity - in mind.

At least there was a theory behind the Souness appointment. Tough guy to sort out the problem players. It was bollocks obviously but there was something behind it.

Bruce though. There was absolutely nothing. 

Amazing that how terrible McClaren was consistently gets overlooked. Yes, he was a fair bit more likeable than many of the others, but getting that squad relegated was scandalous.

Bruce is my most hated manager of ours but McClaren was the most incompetent when not counting Carver due to him being a caretaker. Benitez proved in his final 6 games that there was a decent side there. 

I'm 59 so, you can imagine, have seen some right dross managing my club. 

Joe Harvey was the manager when I first got on board (aged 7) and I can safely say only Gordon Lee was a cunt* until the post Keegan years. 

*I was only 12 and running Bensham so wouldn't have used language like that

The likes of Dinnis and McGarry were just shit much like McClaren and Pardew. Joke appointments like Carver and Kinnier but hands down for being a cunt, shit and precious as fuck, Bruce tops the hate list. 

Managers like Sourness, Dalglish and Gullit were, at least, prominent at the time. 

Best NUFC manager of all time? 

This kid never lost a game..... 

https://www.soccerbase.com/managers/manager.sd?manager_id=5210

Edited by Groundhog63

McClaren's likeable factor wore off pretty fast for me when every week we'd be absolutely dominated by the other side, get dusted by a clear margin, and he'd stand in front of the cameras and say we were "magnificent" and "play like that every week and we'll be fine". 

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

McClaren's likeable factor wore off pretty fast for me when every week we'd be absolutely dominated by the other side, get dusted by a clear margin, and he'd stand in front of the cameras and say we were "magnificent" and "play like that every week and we'll be fine". 

With a cup of tea in his hand.

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

"Judge me after 10/15/20/25 games..." 

You can’t hate Kinnear because the whole thing was just so hilariously insane. Carver annoyed me because he should have known better. 

I still think McClaren could have been decent but he lacked the bollocks to stick to his plan when we kept losing. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo