General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest Howaythetoon

I actually prefer the old grounds myself, for example Goodson. I adore Villa Park, my fave away ground. Love Ibrox as well and the old Upton Park.

Great shout about Ibrox. Brilliant, traditional football stadium and the Main Stand there is probably my favourite stand at any football ground. I think the Main Stand at Villa Park was actually designed by the same person.

Villa was my first away game, Cole and Lee 2-0 and I work there a lot so see it regularly. I won’t lie, I have a soft spot for Villa as a result. I also work a lot in Glasgow and Ibrox pisses all over Celtic Park for my money. One stadium I do love also is Ewood Park. I just love the boxy grounds which are sadly becoming extinct. The Emirates is a great stadium, but aesthetically, it’s not too hot IMO. SJP is a great stadium, f***ing love the place. Clean it up, modernise parts and ditch SD and it’s up there as the best IMO and that’s without bias.

You're right there. Celtic Park is a dump and you can tell it's been built on the cheap whereas with Ibrox you can tell a lot of time and expense has been spent on it. I don't have any alliegance to either Celtic or Rangers but having visited both grounds that's my view. Staying in Scotland Tynecastle is another smashing old stadium on a smaller scale with four separate, very steep sided, boxy stands  I really want to visit it now the new main stand has been completed.

The Emirates is a beautiful modern stadium that looks amazing from inside even moreso from the outside as you approach. I think most people were very impressed when it was first built. However it becomes quickly clear any atmosphere gets lost in bowl-like stadiums and the more that get built in a similar mould the less impressive it is. Even Atletico fans who could make the Calderon a cauldron are struggling to carry it over to their new place which is built very much in the Emirates style.

It's probably the best stadium in the league from a strictly design point of view, it's executed beautifully, particularly the facade. However, football stadiums are cherished for the spirit contained within, not their exterior. A stadium could look brilliant but have a bad atmosphere, if a stadium has a beautiful atmosphere, it is looked upon and remembered as beautiful.

The Emirates is a beautiful modern stadium that looks amazing from inside even moreso from the outside as you approach. I think most people were very impressed when it was first built. However it becomes quickly clear any atmosphere gets lost in bowl-like stadiums and the more that get built in a similar mould the less impressive it is. Even Atletico fans who could make the Calderon a cauldron are struggling to carry it over to their new place which is built very much in the Emirates style.

Uniform bowls are shit, Wembley being the absolute antithesis of this. Too big, too open, too far from the pitch, too shite.

Anyone been to Kenilworth Road (Luton) its literally built on top of terraced housing. Loved going there when I was staying over there. Proper old fashioned stadium

Aye I went there in 1994 when they beat us 2-0 in an FA Cup replay. One of the sides of the ground is literally just terraced houses and I'm pretty certain it still doesn't have any seats in it to this day, just a full row of boxes stretching the length of the pitch.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/ipswich180786/2005_0101Luton0044.jpg

Leading to...

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/ipswich180786/2005_0101Luton0047.jpg

Access to the away end at Kenilworth Road.

:lol:

That is brilliant, Jesus.

When there with Gateshead a few years back there was a wifey having a shower in her bathroom at half-time, unique half-time entertainment.

The little side stand has an alleyway behind that runs between it and the houses & the locals nickname it dogs shit alley, it's like an obstacle course. Also a couple of years back when queuing up to go in there was some bloke in that house to the right of the turnstile sitting on his door step cutting his toenails, it sort of summed the place up.

I'm all for character in grounds, and Kennilworth certainly has that  :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Never been, but drove past it a few times, there is a dual carriageway running directly beside it. What a shit hole Luton is mind.

Doesn't the Emirates have a reputation for being rubbish?

The atmosphere yeah but aside from that I'm pretty sure I heard nothing but good things.

Atmosphere's part of it, though? I would have thought it would be the number 1 requirement for most fans as well, in fact it's singled out as one of the reasons why SJP is second - "Passionate fans generating a fantastic atmosphere in a great looking stadium." Weird.

Arsenal fans win/ruin every online poll, so basically SJP won.

Went to Fratten Park when we lost 2-1 and Emre scored a penalty, it was fucking boiling and the stand we were in had no roof. Great ground but it was impossible to make a noise in our end. They have built a roof on th stand now.

My favourite that I've been to was London Road. Big terrace behind the goal and it just had an old school feel to it. Made me laugh that everyone was just pissing against the back of the stand because there was never enough toilets for 4K or so of us.

Also a massive fan of Craven Cottage and Selhurst Park.

Went to Fratten Park when we lost 2-1 and Emre scored a penalty, it was f***ing boiling and the stand we were in had no roof. Great ground but it was impossible to make a noise in our end. They have built a roof on th stand now.

My favourite that I've been to was London Road. Big terrace behind the goal and it just had an old school feel to it. Made me laugh that everyone was just pissing against the back of the stand because there was never enough toilets for 4K or so of us.

Millmoor was very similar. Blundell aswell. Funny saying "big terrace" when it's quite small but I know what you mean.

Went to Fratten Park when we lost 2-1 and Emre scored a penalty, it was f***ing boiling and the stand we were in had no roof. Great ground but it was impossible to make a noise in our end. They have built a roof on th stand now.

Millmoor was very similar. Blundell aswell. Funny saying "big terrace" when it's quite small but I know what you mean.

Aye it was small but was absolutely packed so suppose that's what made it feel bigger.

Really want to visit Hillsborough.