Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Think it would be a big mistake for Ashworth to go, as long as the glazers remain that club will be a mess.

Aye. It will be a massive mistake.

He’ll find the next Messi, but their owners, and fans will demand that they go to Inter Miami and buy Messi.

So we anticipate an offer will come in and fear he'll accept it. That's ok. They'd be silly not to approach him, and we'd be silly not to fear he'd accept their offer.

I don't think we need to worry too much about it in the mean time. There doesn't seem to be an indication that he's raring to leave, but as a professional negotiator it'd be reasonable for him find out the score and then seek wage parity.

As someone said above, the main thing is we have a board that is actively and intelligently pursuing the best for the club. For the first time since Keegan's first run at a minimum. Whatever happens we'll make things work.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I agree.  They can’t achieve what they said they want to by simply ‘doing it the right way’.  There is a ceiling coming up - a very hard ceiling.  A well-run NUFC is absolutely capable of top six / seven finishes consistently.  If they’re wanting to win titles and European Cups, they’re not getting there via small steps.  The club would need consistent financial doping - and as long as they toe every line which has been set for them in terms of commercials and FFP there is no way to catch up. 

This is the thing. There's no 'legal' way the old money clubs (Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal) can be caught if FFP is enforced strictly. They're allowed to spend twice what anyone else is, allowing them to compete in tournaments that generate far more revenue, which in turn means they can keep spending twice as much. It's a viscious spiral and there's nothing 'fair' about it. If it were fair, every club would have the same spending limit.

20 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I agree.  They can’t achieve what they said they want to by simply ‘doing it the right way’.  There is a ceiling coming up - a very hard ceiling.  A well-run NUFC is absolutely capable of top six / seven finishes consistently.  If they’re wanting to win titles and European Cups, they’re not getting there via small steps.  The club would need consistent financial doping - and as long as they toe every line which has been set for them in terms of commercials and FFP there is no way to catch up. 

The only way to catch up quickly is by attempting to get rid of FFP by a legal challenge showing that it’s anti competitive, FMV would go the same way to.

After the Court case against the FA &PL trying to cap agents fees, which the agents won, due to it being against Competition Law. Our favourite lawyer did publish a summary of that judgement and mentioned in the summary that FFP wasn’t about protecting less wealthier clubs but protected the cartel clubs position. Until FFP and FMV aren’t things it’ll take years to catch up.

1 minute ago, FloydianMag said:

The only way to catch up quickly is by attempting to get rid of FFP by a legal challenge showing that it’s anti competitive, FMV would go the same way to.

After the Court case against the FA &PL trying to cap agents fees, which the agents won, due to it being against Competition Law. Our favourite lawyer did publish a summary of that judgement and mentioned in the summary that FFP wasn’t about protecting less wealthier clubs but protected the cartel clubs position. Until FFP and FMV aren’t things it’ll take years to catch up.

I think FFP will probably be challenged on that basis soon, but I doubt we'll be the ones do do it, it'll probably by one or all of Man City, Everton and/or Chelsea.

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I think FFP will probably be challenged on that basis soon, but I doubt we'll be the ones do do it, it'll probably by one or all of Man City, Everton and/or Chelsea.

I think you’re right, I hope it’s us though, just for the fewm from the cartel clubs. Challenging FFP would be the nuclear option for City certainly.

7 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Can't happen soon enough. FFP would have been a good initiative if it did actually represent fair play, in it's current form it's just protection for the cartel who have taken advantage of previous lack of such restriction.

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

Not sure how folk are so confident with so little sourcing on and appointment to be made by a person who isn’t actually in charge yet.

No smoke without fire usually, they state he has a good relationship with that Dave Brailsford from Ineos.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Can't happen soon enough. FFP would have been a good initiative if it did actually represent fair play, in it's current form it's just protection for the cartel who have taken advantage of previous lack of such restriction.

Thought I’d link this for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

https://x.com/nickdemarco_/status/1735644167521341793?s=61&t=Yt8DTJJ-7Jh_ndgpdGSFKQ

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Daily Mail now saying it’s highly likely Ashworth joins Man Utd.

Still find this slightly surprising tbh. I get that Man U are considered the bigger club, but they've been there and done that. He's at a huge club right now and if anything you would think there's even more glory in taking a success starved club to the top where winning something is like a fairy tale rather than "oh yeah, well of course we should be winning the title...."

If there was no FFP, and the Saudis had just come in and just splurged a billion on transfers imediately, I don't think I'd have really enjoyed that*. Easy to say, but there's something about the story of the club growing more gradually that I've really enjoyed. I don't know if I'd have really felt a connection to the club if they'd just used an infinite money cheat. I'm rather enjoying the finite money cheat we're using at the moment.

*I'd probably have fucking loved it**

** Actually, genuinely, really don't think I would have

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

It’s just feels like every story is just sourced from that one initial Sun story which cited no sources. 

It’s textbook Man U to publicly leak stories like this, when there hasn’t even been an approach. 

If there’s nowt in this then Ashworth could make a statement that he’s not interested.

3 minutes ago, Checko said:

If there was no FFP, and the Saudis had just come in and just splurged a billion on transfers imediately, I don't think I'd have really enjoyed that*. Easy to say, but there's something about the story of the club growing more gradually that I've really enjoyed. I don't know if I'd have really felt a connection to the club if they'd just used an infinite money cheat. I'm rather enjoying the finite money cheat we're using at the moment.

*I'd probably have fucking loved it**

** Actually, genuinely, really don't think I would have

I’m not saying just splurging……but competing with the wealthy clubs financially for the best players at least without constantly worrying about FFP.

Edited by FloydianMag

There might be some truth in it, but I swear The Sun only ran with this and the 'FANS WILL BE MADE HOMELESS' article on Sunday because us winning ruined them leading with a Howe under pressure article. 

It’d be a massive shame if he’s left already as from what is noticeable he hasn’t really achieved anything compared to what he had in place at Brighton. 

I had a bad feeling when he was very publicly touted by Man U not too long ago. Gary Neville very publicly backed him for it after they spoke at a game. 

I’m not worried though. We’re an ambitious club with powerful backers and there’s other sporting directors out there. It’s not like we’re in a Brighton type situation. 

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

It’d be a massive shame if he’s left already as from what is noticeable he hasn’t really achieved anything compared to what he had in place at Brighton. 

I had a bad feeling when he was very publicly touted by Man U not too long ago. Gary Neville very publicly backed him for it after they spoke at a game. 

I’m not worried though. We’re an ambitious club with powerful backers and there’s other sporting directors out there. It’s not like we’re in a Brighton type situation. 

Michael Emenalo, Chelsea’s old DOF is currently working in the Saudi Pro League…….just a thought.

I’m not overly concerned if he leaves. 

He’s technical director not head of recruitment or even the head scout.  He’s one of 3-5 voices and has likely setup or laid out the infrastructure/strategy to find targets. 

We signed Isak, Botman and Bruno G without him. We’ll be fine from a transfer perspective imo. 

Tony Bloom is the architect of Brighton’s success. And Staveley and co. will be the architects of our success. 

Edited by The College Dropout