Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

I think if there's anything giving Ashworth doubts about staying it's the FFP position. No matter how good you are if your hands are tied behind your back it's going to piss you off eventually in a position like his.

However he's at the start of a massive massive project and one that he could be instrumental in with things eventually getting built exactly how he wants.

Personally think he would be crazy to jump ship now but if he does I'm sure our replacement will be top class.

Maybe that Edwards fella who Liverpool wanted? Didn't he turn them down?

Edited by Scotty66

6 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Not really seeing the draw of Man Utd these days to be honest. They're not the club the were years ago, their only benefit over us is the established revenue, other than that Radcliffe looks like a pauper next to our owners. Man Utd is rotten to the core, the players, the management, the co-owners and the fans, so it's going to take a lot more to get them built up again. I just can't see free reign or time being given to improve them or them being as exciting and interesting a prospect as us. Behind the scenes our non-playing staff and infrastructure is brand spanking new, like a newly assembled race car that needs tuning and improving on, whereas Man Utd is just a clapped out old banger that has a big name.

... of course, I could be a little biased... but I don't think so.

No, I think the bias is showing :) (nowt wrong with that)

Man Utd are much, much bigger than us, and are far more likely to win trophies than we are in the coming years.  Our owners having a great big pot of cash is utterly meaningless if you can’t spend it.  Even if we could spend it, the idea would be to try and become as big as a Man Utd - a massive challenge even without the FFP restrictions.

I’m not seeing the state-of-art infrastructure at NUFC that you’re talking about.  We still don’t really know what’s planned - lots of it is hope and supposition.

That benefit of having three times our income is quite a benefit, and if a player was given a choice of NUFC or Man Utd, then nine times out of ten they’re going to go to Old Trafford 

I'm not worried, if he wants to go let him go. Obviously after all the shite they pulled that first January of the takeover we should rinse Man U for as much as possible, but no point him staying if he has his head turned. 

Also not worried about the next appointment. The last time they appointed a sporting director they went out and got the person generally considered one of the best in the country/Europe. I believe they'd do the same again.

Oh well, if he wants to go, let him go. Take Man Utds money, don't let him start there until next season and we'll get someone just as good in for the summer.

Easy decision really. Won't lose any sleep over this.

If he's going he needs to go immediately, like. His job here is about forward planning - just as it would be there. The summer is massive for us so we absolutely can't afford to prepare for it with a person at the helm who's set to join an immediate rival.  

Said it before, but it's a bit like starting a relationship with someone who cheated on who they were with to be with you, you can't be surprised when they then go and do the same to you.

If he goes that'll be the 3rd club he's been at in the space of 5 years, and the 3rd start 6 years. Find it all a bit odd from someone playing such a key role to be that flitty. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Said it before, but it's a bit like starting a relationship with someone who cheated on who they were with to be with you, you can't be surprised when they then go and do the same to you.

If he goes that'll be his 3rd club in 5 years, find it all a bit odd from someone playing such a key role to be that flitty. 

Think he is clearly climbing a career ladder. I do think it's a daft move for him given that Man U is really a final destination kind of club, and by all accounts he is probably good enough to wait for a safer bet than them to come along. Like if he were leaving to go to City, Liverpool or even Arsenal I'd think it were a smarter career move. 

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If he goes that'll be the 3rd club he's been at in the space of 5 years, and the 3rd start 6 years. Find it all a bit odd from someone playing such a key role to be that flitty. 

Posted this before but I know some lads that played in Ashworth youth setups and he's not a popular man at that level. Everyone recognised that he's a smart operator but the terms used were 'snake', 'sly' etc. General consensus was that he'd do what it takes to get what he wants, and he was ruthless as fuck while being proper smarmy with it.

Not necessarily all bad traits in sport at all, tbh, but it made me think after seeing the wee chipper fella presented on TV talking about being in the middle of a wheel.

They were saying something similar about an imminent approach a couple of months back.

NUFC were not approached but Ashworth was and the answer was no. Unless something dramatic has happened to change his mind, I can’t see him leaving.

But all the media speculation is going to become a distraction so now is the time for him to make a statement about it, either way.

I’m a bit confused by both articles. In Edwards’ piece it says no approach made, sources say he’s happy in the job and annoyed with the noise. But also he hasn’t confirmed he isn’t interested or committed to NUFC. In the Orenstein piece it says no approach, but expected to develop rapidly. 

I wouldn’t be worried if he goes, our job is pretty damn incredible from a long term view point and based on the names that we were linked with before, whilst Eddie was in the job, I imagine we will go for a top candidate. I wouldn’t begrudge Ashworth for going there but also feel he hasn’t even given this job a proper go yet. Feel like he’s barely started. 

I'm sure he would be happy to stay here but the fact is he's pretty much strangled in what he can do due to FFP. Yes Man U have made some shit signings recently, but they still have saleable home grown assets in the likes of Greenwood, McTomminay and perhaps even Rashford, whos sales would open up the door for big money signings. We have basically Longstaff and that's it.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

I want him to stay. I like what he did to our youth & academy and that’s what really can take us to the next level under FFP.

Then legally challenge FFP at a CAT or this kind of thing will happen time and time again.

6 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

I'm not worried, if he wants to go let him go. Obviously after all the shite they pulled that first January of the takeover we should rinse Man U for as much as possible, but no point him staying if he has his head turned. 

Also not worried about the next appointment. The last time they appointed a sporting director they went out and got the person generally considered one of the best in the country/Europe. I believe they'd do the same again.

Just hope we can get whoever we want in place quickly.

Just now, FloydianMag said:

Then legally challenge FFP at a CAT or this kind of thing will happen time and time again.

I know we’ve discussed FFP on other threads, but I’m curious - do you think the club will challenge it?  I don’t think that they ever will.  I also don’t get the impression that they’re overly concerned about it - it’s something the support wants them to do, because they’re assuming that PIF want to plough billions in 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I know we’ve discussed FFP on other threads, but I’m curious - do you think the club will challenge it?  I don’t think that they ever will.  I also don’t get the impression that they’re overly concerned about it - it’s something the support wants them to do, because they’re assuming that PIF want to plough billions in 

If we were going to challenge it I think we would have at least began the process by now. Fans seem more bothered by it than the club tbh.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If we were going to challenge it I think we would have at least began the process by now. Fans seem more bothered by it than the club tbh.

Yep, that’s my thinking.  I still think this is far more of a passive investment than many would like - the fact that PIF has handed over the full running (approvals only) to non-PIF staff suggests as much.  Man City & PSG never did this. 

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I know the press assumed it was Man City who threatened legal action at the last PL meeting, I have a feeling it was the club. Just after we were took over and the PL met to bring in FMV, a meeting Charnley attended, the club told them what they were doing was illegal. Challenge FMV and FFP probably would go to.

I don’t want the club to spend multi millions on players etc but I do want the club to be able to compete on a level playing field and the only way to do that is to get rid of FMV and. FFP.

54 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

For me, making FMV and Party related and Associated Party rules more onerous could be the final straw for us though and the club must at least be talking about this. I know people argue we’d be unpopular but we are now given the PiF ownership they already hate us anyway, nowt to lose.The already wealthy teams will target staff like Ashworth and if he goes they target players like Bruno, Isak Botman etc.

Edited by FloydianMag