Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

11 minutes ago, buzza said:

I think he was very diplomatic with his comments, he knows that we will sign the next "best in class" available DOF and that processes and people should be able to step up to make sure no momentum is lost. Happens in all companies...

Would like the Manc cnuts to pay through the nose for him though! 7-10 mill would be good enough recompense...

I think he's less diplomatic here than usual.

He's one to lie or be evasive in press conferences. But this was pretty straight down the line for Howe

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I think he's less diplomatic here than usual.

He's one to lie or be evasive in press conferences. But this was pretty straight down the line for Howe

Gave me the feeling that he 100% knows he´s going and just doesn´t want to say anything out of place and look a cu*t

43 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Eddie clearly hates the cunt , that's good enough for me .

they're going to have a dust up at the school gates at 3

Eddie wins that but apparently Dan's got long nails and is known as a bit of a biter

That's the benefit of Howe being a very political, predictable speaker. When he veers even slightly off course and doesn't say what you expect him to, you kind of know that the truth lies in what he isn't saying that he normally would and he can communicate it, without having to say it directly and with plausible deniability. He's a very smart bloke. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 minutes ago, Willow said:

Eddie wins that but apparently Dan's got long nails and is known as a bit of a biter

Spitter and a shitter anarl.

6 minutes ago, Willow said:

Ashworth is absolutely the kind of bloke to hang around watching a fight and kick the lad who's losing from the sidelines.

The instability is never good short term but I think it's a net positive long term in all honesty. We need someone committed to the club's vision and on the same page as the management team. Last summer was a mess in hindsight and left the squad totally unbalanced with loads of full backs and only two forwards. The Hall and Tonali deals were on his watch and if we argue transers aren't on him then we can't really credit him for any of Brighton or West Brom's finds either.

He'll be joining that doping guy from the cycling as another of Ratcliffe's old cronies. They'll have to pay a lot if they want him any time soon.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

That's the benefit of Howe being a very political, predictable speaker. When he veers even slightly off course and doesn't say what you expect him to, you kind of know that the truth lies in what he isn't saying that he normally would and he can communicate it, without having to say it directly and with plausible deniability. He's a very smart bloke. 

That part of the interview posted above was essentially:

Q: How big a blow is it to lose someone so influential?

A: Not at all, he's only been here 5 minutes. 

I do think there's something in the fact that he regularly refers to himself as the manager, despite not being the manager.

Howe is correct though. He’s not been here long enough to make a massive impact.

Ashworth may well be one of the best at what he does from the UK.. but globally, how does he rank? I’m sure there’s plenty of operators across Europe who could come in and do an equally good job.

12 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

That part of the interview posted above was essentially:

Q: How big a blow is it to lose someone so influential?

A: Not at all, he's only been here 5 minutes. 

I do think there's something in the fact that he regularly refers to himself as the manager, despite not being the manager.

I think this bit is pretty telling too. A statement in the form of a compliment. Key things to note in the compliment:

• Structure has stayed the same
  • They're working in the same way now as we were during the first transfer window (that he wasn't here for)

Edited by Kid Icarus

Not bothered in the slightest now and just want some resolution. Yeah, the optics of going to a 'bigger club' aren't great but this happens between other top clubs as is with execs moving about.

For Ashworth himself, his role is meant to mitigate 'single points of failure' and over reliance on individuals. This is obviously an art in itself but him leaving shouldn't really leave an immediate hole and, if it does, then there's potentially some blame at his door for not setting that up.

I hope he stays, this just underlines his abilities.

If he leaves the club are now in a position to get a quality replacement however if we already have a top candidate better to keep him than start afresh.

Maybe one for PIF to pick up the phone on. They can offer much more than Man Utd in terms of building things - e.g. run a multi club model

Multiple things can be true at the same time. 

Is this a win for Man Utd? Yes.

Is this a short term loss for you? Yes.

Will you be fine in the medium term? Absolutely. 

To me the DOF approach's success is more about the owners than the individual DOF. Brighton, Brentford- they all deem to do well even after important people leave. 

After Edwards left, there was a dip in our transfer hit rate but we seem to have recovered.  

Your owners seem committed to this model. So you should be fine. 

We have very involved owners via Stavely et al, I wouldn't be surprised if the rumblings from Ashworth about not having as much control as he wanted were true.

He would have had much more control at a pre-Ineos Man* Utd where the owners were effectively absent.

Edit: the shame :lol:

Edited by HawK

9 minutes ago, HawK said:

We have very involved owners via Stavely et al, I wouldn't be surprised if the rumblings from Ashworth about not having as much control as he wanted were true.

He would have had much more control at a pre-Ineos Utd where the owners were effectively absent.

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

I think from a pure footballing squad sense Eddie is far more valuable to us long term than Ashworth tbh. He took Bournemouth up through the leagues with zero cash. 

For a club Ashworth can excell at building the structure, something that he's already done here, for a club with limited budget he will keep it on a sound footing (Brighton) but thankfully with our owners we can invest whenever and whatever within our restrictions. Something we don't need years of planning from a DOF to be able to do.

The crucial thing for us was getting our scouting and youth set up strong and Ashworth seems to have done some great work in that regard with the staff positions that we have acquired.

Long term though Howe will keep us competitive on the pitch with or without Ashworth being here.

29 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

Howe basically says nothing has changed since he came in, which I find completely baffling!  WTF did we hire him for then!

I think he's specifically referring to the first team transfer process. Ashworth has, at minimum, clearly done things around the scouting network and youth teams. Likely current/future training ground planning as well.