Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

10 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I keep seeing stories over the last couple of days about Ashworth supposedly already doing work on behalf of Man Utd... but he's supposed to still be on garden leave and we've not received any compo to change that, unless I've missed something?!

(... I'm presuming it's just the usual lazy journalism, but I hope our owners are keeping a close eye on it, would love to catch Man Utd out and get them hit with misconduct)

They're Man Utd. They will always get away with things like that. The FA will probably change the rules so it suits Man Utd.

Would be fun if our owners plays hardball in this case though.

Let Ashwort sit and do nothing for 2 years!

5 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

They're Man Utd. They will always get away with things like that. The FA will probably change the rules so it suits Man Utd.

Would be fun if our owners plays hardball in this case though.

Let Ashwort sit and do nothing for 2 years!

It's employment law that he'd be breaching by working for them whilst on gardening leave. Man Utd would have to prove to a judge that Ashworth didn't breach his covenants and we'd have to prove that he did.

It'd be our lawyers vs their lawyers in a court, nothing the FA could do about that.

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

It's employment law that he'd be breaching by working for them whilst on gardening leave. Man Utd would have to prove to a judge that Ashworth didn't breach his covenants and we'd have to prove that he did.

It'd be our lawyers vs their lawyers in a court, nothing the FA could do about that.

And what is the punishment for breaching the gardening leave?

A fine?

5 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

A fine?

An injunction to stop him doing work for them whilst still employed by us

Damages if we can prove he caused us to lose out commercially

His reputation being ruined in the football industry

Edited by bobbydazzla

28 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I keep seeing stories over the last couple of days about Ashworth supposedly already doing work on behalf of Man Utd... but he's supposed to still be on garden leave and we've not received any compo to change that, unless I've missed something?!

(... I'm presuming it's just the usual lazy journalism, but I hope our owners are keeping a close eye on it, would love to catch Man Utd out and get them hit with misconduct)

I wouldn't be surprised tbh. They are clearly pissed off at being asked for £20m, it wouldn't be that hard for little Dan to advise them off the books. Not ideal but would be quite hard for us to prove anything unless he went specifically after our targets.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I wouldn't be surprised tbh. They are clearly pissed off at being asked for £20m, it wouldn't be that hard for little Dan to advise them off the books. Not ideal but would be quite hard for us to prove anything unless he went specifically after our targets.

If the papers have gotten wind of it, I feel like it wouldn't be too difficult for us to gather evidence too. It's almost certainly nonsense though.

16 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

agreed - problem is aren't they mates going back a while?  how do you prove it if they "meet up" and topics happen to come up.

11 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

agreed - problem is aren't they mates going back a while?  how do you prove it if they "meet up" and topics happen to come up.

If you’re Dan Ashworth why even do that and open yourself up to a potential court case that could ruin your reputation 

Meeting them whilst on gardening leave immediately gives NUFC reason to investigate and the onus would be on Ashworth and Man Utd to prove nothing happened 

If he doesn’t meet or contact them, he has nothing to worry about 

Edited by bobbydazzla

6 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Sorry if already discussed but if we get 20m for Ashworth does that help us and hinder them in FFP terms or does it not matter as he’s not on the playing staff?  

Yes, would be revenue for us and costs for them. Though they can probably offset it by making his title Director of Football presented by Burger King.

41 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

A fine?

There's no way we'd risk this. The governing bodies will be looking for any excuse to punish us. Look what happened with Greenwood, Antony and Ronaldo.

50 minutes ago, Froggy said:

There's no way we'd risk this. The governing bodies will be looking for any excuse to punish us. Look what happened with Greenwood, Antony and Ronaldo.

Well, rape and assault is another ballgame though and should be punished much harder imo.

The gardening leave is more of a greyzone even if in both cases it's who's word you belive in.

Hard to prove without evidence.

If I was Ashworth I’d be getting a new mobile and not accepting any texts/calls from NUFC, he’d do well to remember Jeff Bezos, where not to be fucked with. 

Edited by Whitley mag

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

If I was Ashworth I’d be getting a new mobile and not accepting any texts/calls from NUFC, he’d do well to remember Jeff Bezos, where not to be fucked with. 

:lol: Supposedly you just need the phone number nowadays :)

8 hours ago, Froggy said:

Mad that they actually think this :lol: 

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Any chance you can sum up the key points? I don’t have access anymore.

Aye:

To take a building analogy, Ashworth has reinforced the foundations and connected the rooms, but the roof is unfinished and scaffolding is still up.

There are now nine football departments: men’s first team; women’s first team; player recruitment; loans; academy; medical and sports science; analysis; psychology and mental wellbeing; and football operations. 

The idea is to prevent "lurch". If one manager leaves, another will seamlessly fit into the system.

Regarding transfers there is a degree of disappointment internally be couldn't generate more from player sales.

There were a lot of measurables, a lot of data and metrics. Everything was evidence-based. He was calm, organised and a good communicator. He was the ‘why’; he would ask, ‘What are you doing and why?’”

Nickson works in tandem with Andy Howe. Howe  has been an influential voice in transfer discussions throughout, including in the purchase of Gordon and Tonali. His recent title change, was not a promotion, it was viewed internally as a tweak to more accurately reflect Howe’s role. The alteration in job description was Ashworth-led.

Both Nickson and Howe identify players and they then presented to Ashworth and Eddie Howe, who has the final say on all incomings. They enjoyed positive relationships with Ashworth, despite claims to the contrary.

As of last week, Newcastle had not spoken in depth to any potential candidate, with the main focus the expected overhaul this summer window. They know what they are doing and an appointment will follow, but there is no rush.

There has been a downplaying of Ashworth’s overall importance in some quarters. There is a chance that the position could even be redrawn and possibly split, with different figures overseeing different elements of the footballing operation.

Howe is not expected to be directly involved in the decision-making process, but he will express his opinion to the hierarchy.

15 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

wot

19 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

If you’re Dan Ashworth why even do that and open yourself up to a potential court case that could ruin your reputation 

Meeting them whilst on gardening leave immediately gives NUFC reason to investigate and the onus would be on Ashworth and Man Utd to prove nothing happened 

If he doesn’t meet or contact them, he has nothing to worry about 

Exactly.

Further to that, it's incredibly naive to think he could do his job anywhere close to properly through sporadic "meet ups with a friend". It's a full time job.

My info (contact at the club) was that they had agreed to a compensation just over 20m but the sticking point is when. We won’t allow him to work for them before end of summer window.

They are insistent on it so the club will demand silly money for that release but they aren’t really seriously contemplating it so it’s anyone’s guess what that crazy fee would be.