Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

3 hours ago, Decky said:

Can someone explain to me exactly why Ashworth is so sought after? Why is he rated so highly above anyone else out there at the top level of football? 

ashworth seems to be highly thought of by pretty much everyone he has ever worked with. That’s the impression you get from every interview or bit of info anyone ever has on him. He seems to be given the credit for

everything from Brighton’s savvy business to Englands youth success. But there does seem to be a lack of detail in what he actually does. 

Putting 2 + 2 together, I suspect the guy is the worlds top mentalist/mind control expert.

ask anyone who rates him so highly to explain what it is he actually does and they are always a bit vague. Keep pushing and they gaze off into the distance. Their voice softens and they say in a hypnotic tone, Dan is like the centre of a wheel, there are 7 spokes radiating out from that wheel. Dan is the best sporting director, watch as the wheel turns, watch the wheel.

the guy has mind fucked everyone and is always sat on full pay in his garden. 

The Athletic have done numerous articles on why Dan Ashworth is so sought after and what he has achieved at Newcastle in the short time he has been there. Just because he's leaving doesn't mean there's a need to try and downplay how important he is.

He's clearly one of the best, if not the best, in his class.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

The Athletic have done numerous articles on why Dan Ashworth is so sought after and what he has achieved at Newcastle in the short time he has been there. Just because he's leaving doesn't mean there's a need to try and downplay how important he is.

He's clearly one of the best, if not the best, in his class.

:fishing:

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

Indeed. Pay up then.

Believe it not, you're not the only club restricted by FFP. :lol: £20m is a huge fee. He's coming regardless so it's all about balance. I can see some sort of deal being done for around £8-10m after the summer.

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Believe it not, you're not the only club restricted by FFP. :lol: £20m is a huge fee. He's coming regardless so it's all about balance. I can see some sort of deal being done for around £8-10m after the summer.

If you want the ‘best in class’ you have to pay for it…

1 minute ago, Shak said:

Best student in my class ended up sexually assaulting a young woman some years later.

A shining reflection on you.

I still maintain that I wouldn’t release him for any fee and certainly not to Man Utd. 
If he is that good, if he is to be so critical to Mr Radcliffes terminal lucidity then we should just refuse to release him. 

After all, we wouldn’t sell Bruno or Isak to them, so why let the best in class, hub of the wheel go?  

To be fair though, the conduct of Man Utd leading up to and during the pantomime would be enough to make me dig my heels in. 

It's maybe worth stating that I totally agree with your stance. :lol: If the shoe was on the other foot I wouldn't want him released at all, especially to a rival.

34 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Seems pretty likely. 

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He might not be so sharp after spending the best part of the last few years doing his garden. 

Man United is one big garden of shite that needs weeding. He'll do fine.

To be honest I think by the time Man Utd got him, most of the foundation works have been done by other directors already and his value-add would be very limited.

8 minutes ago, Zero said:

To be honest I think by the time Man Utd got him, most of the foundation works have been done by other directors already and his value-add would be very limited.

I must admit they seem to be hiring a lot of executives to do the same job. I just hope the concensus is to bring in Southgate as manager.

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

I must admit they seem to be hiring a lot of executives to do the same job. I just hope the concensus is to bring in Southgate as manager.

What job is that? :lol: We're hiring three people at the minute, one of which is a CEO. I would imagine Wilcox will be heavily involved with the academy given his experience at City.

You have to understand we've had nobody of any worth in any of these positions for years. John Murtough was our first ever football director and he was a protege of Ed Woodward who is one of the worst things to happen to the club, football wise. Darren Fletcher is a technical director and was wearing a tracksuit at the side of the pitch last season. :lol:

An overhaul like the one we're currently seeing is badly needed and I doubt Wilcox will be the last hire.

I just don't understand how you attribute any success to him. I get that he does something and he is good at something, I just don't know what that something is that people are going to be able to turn around in 3/4 years and say "that's what he's done that's won us the League Cup". Scouts do the scouting, coaches do the coaching, the manager does the tactics. Commercial directors do their thing.

19 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I just don't understand how you attribute any success to him. I get that he does something and he is good at something, I just don't know what that something is that people are going to be able to turn around in 3/4 years and say "that's what he's done that's won us the League Cup". Scouts do the scouting, coaches do the coaching, the manager does the tactics. Commercial directors do their thing.

Read The Athletic article I posted. It seems to suggest he's put quite a lot in place at yourselves and that the owners were very happy with him.

3 hours ago, Froggy said:

For that much we might as well keep him in the garden, will only cost us about £4m to do it. Based on the same logic that you wouldn't loan us Lingard for less than £14m because you wanted us relegated.

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

Man United is one big garden of shite that needs weeding. He'll do fine.

So is Newcastle but he decided to bail on that project.

Who knows, I don't really care what he does next, these things happen. If I could get paid for doing nothing by moving jobs I would probably do it as often as possible. 

Just now, TRon said:

For that much we might as well keep him in the garden, will only cost us about £4m to do it. Based on the same logic that you wouldn't loan us Lingard for less than £14m because you wanted us relegated.

It was nothing to do with wanting you relegated. :lol: I hope that's not what people believe as it's ludicrous. We're simply run like shit and are notorious for pricing players out of moves before losing them for free shortly after. We're calamitous in the market.

Ashworth will probably be there less time than his gardening leave at this rate, 18 months, 2 years max and he'll have done whatever he enjoys doing and want to move to the next "project".

5 hours ago, Mattoon said:

Ashworth will probably be there less time than his gardening leave at this rate, 18 months, 2 years max and he'll have done whatever he enjoys doing and want to move to the next "project".

The job hopping slaaaaaaag!