Nick Pope

Rich

This one is so vary odd that he would try and go out with the injured for rest of season post and then the next day we’re told he’s close. It’s just very poor. 

7 hours ago, STM said:

I'm presuming he can at least do some fitness work, while he builds his shoulder back up, which should save some time.

As soon as that shoulder has had some workload testing, he should be good to go.

Controlling and passing a ball might be possible?

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Supposedly going to be on the bench for the Palace or Sheff Utd game. 

Three keepers?

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

Only let him play if he is really healed. Do not want him to dislocate it again and miss the start of next season.

Dont know if it just was that they hadn't been in the drills during the week, but finded it positive that Hall and Livra was on the bench yesterday after their injuries. Maybe we are starting to learn and take a more cautious approach.. or was it just beaceuse they were kids [emoji38]

2 hours ago, nufcjb said:

Only let him play if he is really healed. Do not want him to dislocate it again and miss the start of next season.

100%. But I suppose you can look at the injury two ways. 

It is concerning that it’s the same shoulder he has done again. 

It is positive that he’s gone 5-6 seasons with no issues with it and that he’s supposedly on track to return within a similar time frame. 

I think he would still be a net positive return on Dubravka. But my concern would be more about him being rusty than the injury itself.

His touch and passing is hardly good at the best of times :lol: plus knowing when to stick or twist with coming out is a split second decision. It must be hard to gauge when you’ve been out a while and not match sharp. 

was just remembering how good he was against Milan in the San Siro

what a pity he missed out on the return 

would be fitting if he made his comeback against Man U after being injured in the reverse 

On 14/04/2024 at 02:14, Lush Vlad said:

100%. But I suppose you can look at the injury two ways. 

It is concerning that it’s the same shoulder he has done again. 

It is positive that he’s gone 5-6 seasons with no issues with it and that he’s supposedly on track to return within a similar time frame. 

I think he would still be a net positive return on Dubravka. But my concern would be more about him being rusty than the injury itself.

His touch and passing is hardly good at the best of times :lol: plus knowing when to stick or twist with coming out is a split second decision. It must be hard to gauge when you’ve been out a while and not match sharp. 

Literally can't be worse than having a keeper who is seemingly stuck in knee deep mud at all times.

35 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

was just remembering how good he was against Milan in the San Siro

what a pity he missed out on the return 

would be fitting if he made his comeback against Man U after being injured in the reverse 

Dortmund away, for me. Didn’t matter in the end. But he made 3-4 outrageous saves and managed to make them look fairly routine.

He will want to get back playing.

He still has an outside chance of making the Euros squad.

The last squad had Pickford, Ramsdale & Trafford. 2 of them don't even start regularly for their clubs. There's an argument that 3rd choice doesn't matter and you need a second choice in a similar profile to the 1st. But surely you just bring your 3 best GKs to a competition? Just for training, big Nick Pope making top saves, and claiming crosses, the other 2 have to level up.

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He will want to get back playing.

He still has an outside chance of making the Euros squad.

The last squad had Pickford, Ramsdale & Trafford. 2 of them don't even start regularly for their clubs. There's an argument that 3rd choice doesn't matter and you need a second choice in a similar profile to the 1st. But surely you just bring your 3 best GKs to a competition? Just for training, big Nick Pope making top saves, and claiming crosses, the other 2 have to level up.

Southgate seems to not care that much about it. He stopped picking Kalvin Philips the moment he started playing again, and everyone could see his currrent levels. I wonder if he would've been picked if he didn't leave Man City to play games.

Edited by Erikse

It would be better for us if he didn't come back this season, and at the same time miss out on  the Euros. Better he takes care of his shoulder and gets a proper pre season instead. Not worth it to risk him in a game or two.

2 hours ago, Erikse said:

Southgate has a history of not caring about that. He stopped picking Kalvin Philips the moment he started playing again, and everyone could see his currrent levels. I wonder if he would've been picked if he didn't leave Man City to play games.

I agree.

But Nick Pope will want to play to prove his fitness and give himself a shot. If he's fit, he'll want to play.

If he's fit and he thinks he has a shot of the squad. Not playing him might cause dressing room issues.

Edited by The College Dropout

Has any 3rd choice keeper made an appearance at an international tournament for England?

I'd rather have the summer off if I was in a 3rd choice keepers shoes.

Edited by jack j

6 minutes ago, jack j said:

Has any 3rd choice keeper made an appearance at an international tournament for England?

I'd rather have the summer off if I was in a 3rd choice keepers shoes.

Maybe not.

Some footballers love just going for the experience and the outside chance of making an appearance.

Others hate it.

Due to his career, I suspect he'll just want to go. From Bury to here.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Maybe not.

Some footballers love just going for the experience and the outside chance of making an appearance.

Others hate it.

Due to his career, I suspect he'll just want to go. From Bury to here.

*Bury Town. 

:aww: