Nick Pope

Rich

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Kept us in the game first half, perhaps positionally suspect for the first, but it was a catalogue of errors. 

He was the least of our issues tonight.

Yeah. He could have been positioned better, for sure. But he’s twatted it from really close range. You can bet if he was too far over on his near post. Solanke would have hit it across him into the bottom corner and the usual crowd would have been in here, saying he should have saved it with his hands and going with his feet was the wrong option.

The whole goal was a clusterfuck and summed up our night. Longstaff lazily letting the ball go to them. Joelinton (I think?) getting bullied, midfield all

over and then the lucky break off Willock just playing Solanke in with a perfect through ball. 

Thought he was our best player tonight and stopped it from being embarrassing. But he has certainly become a scapegoat during some of our rough patches this season. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've had a little look about Nick Poop's stats this season, compared to the other English keepers. I wish to apologise to Nick Pope, he's actually (statistically) playing really well even if he is prone to "I shall commence my run out of the box now, here I go, look at me go, I'm doing it, oh shit, oh shit oh shit" moments. Legit feel like he suffered concussion last season after he came out of the box to contest Salah. 

Anyway

STATSBOOM ALERT

screenshot.thumb.png.b72510bfb1dea00b2ea046f1f893dc2b.png

Given he's like super tall, it shouldn't be a surprise his miles beyond the others with his Aerial claims. But he's pretty much right there alongside them in all the other areas too, even the ones where we're shitting ourselves whenever he's trying to play out from the back. Long passes are still shite. 

STATS STATS STATS STATS STATS

Pickford pure shite, naturally. 

RATSTATATTAK

image.thumb.png.d19ce64c0fcd9f6fa0d34b8053c13775.png

Even throughout his career he has a best SAVE% per 90minutes than all the others! 

Edited by OCK

Fewwwmin' at the shade thrown at York City in his presser. Especially from that thick bastard Ryder calling it 'KitKat Crescent' presumably for the lols, like it didn't change back to Bootham 13 fucking years ago. :rolleyes:

On 20/11/2023 at 12:37, OCK said:

So, I've had a little look about Nick Poop's stats this season, compared to the other English keepers. I wish to apologise to Nick Pope, he's actually (statistically) playing really well even if he is prone to "I shall commence my run out of the box now, here I go, look at me go, I'm doing it, oh shit, oh shit oh shit" moments. Legit feel like he suffered concussion last season after he came out of the box to contest Salah. 

Anyway

STATSBOOM ALERT

screenshot.thumb.png.b72510bfb1dea00b2ea046f1f893dc2b.png

Given he's like super tall, it shouldn't be a surprise his miles beyond the others with his Aerial claims. But he's pretty much right there alongside them in all the other areas too, even the ones where we're shitting ourselves whenever he's trying to play out from the back. Long passes are still shite. 

STATS STATS STATS STATS STATS

Pickford pure shite, naturally. 

RATSTATATTAK

image.thumb.png.d19ce64c0fcd9f6fa0d34b8053c13775.png

Even throughout his career he has a best SAVE% per 90minutes than all the others! 

Those stats back up what we see every week in fairness. He’s a brilliant goalkeeper with next to zero ability with receiving the ball with his feet and passing. The trade offs are up for debate, we could get a keeper who could transform our play and make us more attacking but we’d surely lose a lot of the aerial quality. I’m happy with things as they are for now, see no rush to change it up 

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&dom_lg=1&player_id1=4b40d9ca&player_id2=1840e36d&player_id3=7a2e46a8&player_id4=3bb7b8b4&player_id5=4806ec67&player_id6=7956236f

image.thumb.png.59c5e3c582b1409bcc8c20fb5d36fb13.png

image.thumb.png.e272f0eabfde21b296af76667be88bb7.png

image.thumb.png.4a3018f07c2f283a6fdf79a078b96d53.png

image.thumb.png.110dd3f7cc8cde80d201eae94a04ee58.png

image.thumb.png.27eca21c79cb72fd42479f4a3e637f87.png

image.thumb.png.ffbb66c29f4a0e76454180f0b442cfc3.png

image.thumb.png.5c53986965df778cd6cf569c0f544b79.png

Not all games have been parsed, so stats could be inaccurate. 

This is all fine margins, but that's what elite level is all about. Comparing him to Alisson and Ederson, arguably the two best in the world at the moment; Martinez, World Cup winner; Courtois, who I believe to have been consistently one of the best and perhaps most similar to Nick Pope when it comes to framework and build; and finally Jordan Pickford, England's number 1. 

Just as we see week in and weekout he's a solid keeper who's shit with his feet. He commands the penalty area well, not just in cross claiming, but his positive starting position and confidence (or madness) to try and claim passes/crosses beyond 12 yards. So, while he's a traditional GK in the sense of shotstopping and cross claiming, he's ability to work off the line is perhaps underrated (and then overlooked due to his confidence on the ball). 

38% clean sheet over his career at the age of 31 isn't terrible either. 

https://datamb.football/keepers/

image.thumb.png.d820ac1b1672c588d4300400c01ab0b9.png

This shows a similar picture. Good in the air, confident to leave his line, slightly behind Martinez, Alisson and Ederson when it comes to interceptions, clearances. Miles behind at number of passes attempted, but his short passes are safer and connect more. Long passing shit.

Edited by OCK

His save percentage is particularly impressive seeing as though he was in a shit Burnley team for a long time. I think he's great. We know his weaknesses, everyone has them. Alisson fucks up a lot too with his tidy feet. Unless we got an elite goalkeeper, I'd stick with Popey. 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Those stats back up what we see every week in fairness. He’s a brilliant goalkeeper with next to zero ability with receiving the ball with his feet and passing. The trade offs are up for debate, we could get a keeper who could transform our play and make us more attacking but we’d surely lose a lot of the aerial quality. I’m happy with things as they are for now, see no rush to change it up 

This is it for me. I like him but I wouldn't say I'm attached to him. If we can find someone that is a worthwhile upgrade then have at it, but I think I've said before in here that it's going to take either some outrageous scouting or big money that will probably want to be spent elsewhere first.

Most 'keepers that will improve our distribution will likely be trading off other negatives that could well have us saying 'Neek would've had that' in no time.

3 hours ago, OCK said:

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&dom_lg=1&player_id1=4b40d9ca&player_id2=1840e36d&player_id3=7a2e46a8&player_id4=3bb7b8b4&player_id5=4806ec67&player_id6=7956236f

image.thumb.png.59c5e3c582b1409bcc8c20fb5d36fb13.png

image.thumb.png.e272f0eabfde21b296af76667be88bb7.png

image.thumb.png.4a3018f07c2f283a6fdf79a078b96d53.png

image.thumb.png.110dd3f7cc8cde80d201eae94a04ee58.png

image.thumb.png.27eca21c79cb72fd42479f4a3e637f87.png

image.thumb.png.ffbb66c29f4a0e76454180f0b442cfc3.png

image.thumb.png.5c53986965df778cd6cf569c0f544b79.png

Not all games have been parsed, so stats could be inaccurate. 

This is all fine margins, but that's what elite level is all about. Comparing him to Alisson and Ederson, arguably the two best in the world at the moment; Martinez, World Cup winner; Courtois, who I believe to have been consistently one of the best and perhaps most similar to Nick Pope when it comes to framework and build; and finally Jordan Pickford, England's number 1. 

Just as we see week in and weekout he's a solid keeper who's shit with his feet. He commands the penalty area well, not just in cross claiming, but his positive starting position and confidence (or madness) to try and claim passes/crosses beyond 12 yards. So, while he's a traditional GK in the sense of shotstopping and cross claiming, he's ability to work off the line is perhaps underrated (and then overlooked due to his confidence on the ball). 

38% clean sheet over his career at the age of 31 isn't terrible either. 

https://datamb.football/keepers/

image.thumb.png.d820ac1b1672c588d4300400c01ab0b9.png

This shows a similar picture. Good in the air, confident to leave his line, slightly behind Martinez, Alisson and Ederson when it comes to interceptions, clearances. Miles behind at number of passes attempted, but his short passes are safer and connect more. Long passing shit.

Any chance you could compare Pope to some of the keepers we've been linked with? Ramsdale, Giorgi Mamardashvili, etc? 

15 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Fewwwmin' at the shade thrown at York City in his presser. Especially from that thick bastard Ryder calling it 'KitKat Crescent' presumably for the lols, like it didn't change back to Bootham 13 fucking years ago. :rolleyes:

‘Roll our sleeves up’ made a comeback and all :lol: 

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again; this man gives me a foot fetish.

I find this more ironic every time I think about it considering he's terrible with the ball at his. 

36 minutes ago, christ said:

Absolutely convinced him booting it into touch on the left wing was a tactic. He was at it again tonight after doing it repeatedly in the home match.

I think it is, you know. When he launches it to nobody or bypasses everyone. Or when it goes to Isak who invariably does nowt with it back to goal (not his game and isolated, TBF). I said to a mate you might as well just kick it off and then reset. As our shape is so good when we get a chance to regroup. 

Maybe Howe thinks the same :lol: 

He was class again. Same as Dortmund away. But at least it counted for something tonight. Got closer to the pen than I realised.