UEFA Women's Euro 2022: England are European Champions

Disco

An observation I had was that the technical level has seemingly gone up at a rapid rate but the tactical level seems a bit lost at times.

Until the first goal it was all a bit 'hell for leather' and good goalkeeping stopping poor finishing. Then it all changed and England battered them through being more defensively sound and composed imo

Edited by Heron

1 hour ago, Heron said:

An observation I had was that the technical level has seemingly gone up at a rapid rate but the tactical level seems a bit lost at times.

Until the first goal it was all a bit 'hell for leather' and good goalkeeping stopping poor finishing. Then it all changed and England battered them through being more defensively sound and composed imo

Did you watch the Spain game? Spain were tactically excellent and technically good.

Right been thinking this all week and now that I've had 2 cans and most of a bottle of wine I'll ask..... would the female game be a better spectacle if they played on a proprtionate pitch ?

49 minutes ago, madras said:

Right been thinking this all week and now that I've had 2 cans and most of a bottle of wine I'll ask..... would the female game be a better spectacle if they played on a proprtionate pitch ?

At the very least the goals should be smaller i mean how big are the goalies on average ?

48 minutes ago, madras said:

Quite possibly, and most certainly at lower levels. However, it's an unpopular opinion, and you aren't allowed to express it in public. I've photographed the women's game for over a decade, and there are times when I've had to hold my hands up and accept something as just being part of the game. It can be frustrating to watch if you aren't used to it.

An example from a friendly match between two top tier teams in Scotland on Sunday: The home side scored three goals in the second half, all of them came directly from wayward crosses that sailed over the head of the keeper and into the net. I've come to just write that off as the sort of goal you see in women's football, but it's hard not to think there is an argument for slightly smaller goals.

There is another side to that coin. The availability of facilities. The cast majority of pitches across the UK are marked out for 11-a-side football. The goals in public parks are primarily full size goals. A typical 9-a-side (16ft x 7ft) goal would probably be a better fit, particularly at the level I photograph. But finding proportionate pitches would be impossible. It's proving difficult for even clubs like Celtic and Hibernian to find any sort of suitable venue for their women's team. Some clubs are forced into using multisports facilities, while others are playing an hour away from where their traditional fanbase resides. It really is a case of making the best of the limited options available, while tempering your expectations in return.

No. Why would you choose to make the goals smaller and then harder to hit the target? Why would you make the pitch smaller and take away the option of longer passes etc? Its a difficult subject to broach, but for example the goalkeeping quality in female football can be seen as lesser quality than outfield players in some scnearios, but the answer is greater participation not "making it easier for those poor less able women". Its a young sport, participation percentage is lower relatively and females are generally shorter. Shorter keepers in the male game can be an issue, so it will be in the females too. The more that play the greater the talent and physical pool and the less of a "problem" (if it even is one, its just different) there is with relative ability. Dumbing it down isnt the answer, encouraging more participation as is because its not as if females arent capable, is.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

5 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Did you watch the Spain game? Spain were tactically excellent and technically good.

No, I was at the pub and only kinda half saw the second half and extra time. Fair dues though. I just found players to be out of position a fair bit certainly at the start of yesterday's game and seemingly lacking awareness of their surroundings.