James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Still convinced we wouldn’t have come this far in negotiations for us not to end up reaching an agreement. We got the Botman deal done eventually, we had everything agreed for Ekitike…it was the player who turned us down. We managed to get Bruno and Trippier for great prices. Once we go all in for a player we rarely lose out. Give it 3 days and I bet we have reached an agreement.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I don't like labelling it as luck.

I think it was a prime example of good scouting and negotiating, which is what a really good recruitment team does. And this is why a number of folks are pretty confident that we'll end the summer in really good shape.

That’s fair. I was just meaning he’s clearly worth more than we paid for him 

1 minute ago, Ste said:

Probably, with the added risk of another team entering negotiations if they haven't already.

Can't see another team coming in at that price as that position isn't a pressing need for the top 6/7. Fair play if they do, that likely means there is another target in Europe they won't get and we might steal in for and get for a cheaper price than 60m.

With FPP, paying the 10m extra might not seem much but that 10m also might be earmarked for being able to pay a bit more for other targets we want. Still think we have plenty of wriggle room if we really wanted. We just have smart and responsible people in charge now that won't dive in.

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I know for sure as hell that I’d rather get Maddison and then CHO on loan than go big for Diaby and have the midfield we have now, or a much lesser midfield player on loan. 

Can’t underestimate the effect a signing like Maddison would have. Both on the rest of the team as well as the whole vibe around the place. Other players would grow massively in belief. Mental aspect is important too, not just the player we sign, but others. 

I think if things had gone perfectly this summer, it would have been Diaby in that right wing position and Eriksen in that midfield slot.

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Howe himself has said that RW and ST are the priority and that resorting to other positions is the alternative, hardly controversial 

Maddison has played a load of games on the right wing for leicester

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Still convinced we wouldn’t have come this far in negotiations for us not to end up reaching an agreement. We got the Botman deal done eventually, we had everything agreed for Ekitike…it was the player who turned us down. We managed to get Bruno and Trippier for great prices. Once we go all in for a player we rarely lose out. Give it 3 days and I bet we have reached an agreement.

Aye. The only ones we've walked away from is where the selling club has allegedly raised the price. If press reports are to be believed, Leicester haven't budged on their valuation.

Just now, KaKa said:

I think if things had gone perfectly this summer, it would have been Diaby in that right wing position and Eriksen in that midfield slot.

Aye maybe. But then again I personally don’t think Diaby would have been worth the money quoted, and the club thought the same. Let’s see this time. I think Maddison is worth it. Even if we have to get one or two players on loan to fill out.

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Makes sense.

I was talking about where you could find value in the market and you started blathering on about Maddison playing for 4 years in the PL.

My point is that Bruno is a better player than Maddison or at least comparable (if you ignore they play in different positions), therefore we did find value in the market and can in the future markets.

We don't NEED to spend 60m to sign quality players and quite frankly I couldn't give a fuck if they are playing on the moon of they are good enough.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

That’s fair. I was just meaning he’s clearly worth more than we paid for him 

Ah, right. Yes, absolutely. We knocked that one clear out of the park. At the very least, he's already doubled his value.

4 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Offer that same deal for Harvey Barnes and job's a good'un.

Ha… no, it really isn’t.

If you want to be a big club and take a Premier league clubs best players, you pay like a big club.

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I know for sure as hell that I’d rather get Maddison and then CHO on loan than go big for Diaby and have the midfield we have now, or a much lesser midfield player on loan. 

Can’t underestimate the effect a signing like Maddison would have. Both on the rest of the team as well as the whole vibe around the place. Other players would grow massively in belief. Mental aspect is important too, not just the player we sign, but others. 

100% agree. Just look at the effect Bruno had on our midfield since he came in, with Maddison more guaranteed to hit the ground running this is a signing that could really push us on quickly.

Just now, gdm said:

No one said it controversial. Point I’m making is you keep saying we don’t need him. Howe & the club clearly disagree with your view. Howe might see him playing slightly to the right with trippier over lapping. He might see him in the forward line on the right or he might see him as a number 10. Point is we don’t know but if we are bidding £50m there is obviously a plan. It’s not being done on a whim

Pick one. :lol:

It's in a position we don't need to upgrade anywhere near as much as RW and ST, as Howe himself has said, as I'm saying. If Howe wants to play Maddison on the right in the way you're suggesting fair enough, but considering Diaby was the original choice, it very much suggests a different plan.

Just now, Foxedup said:

Ha… no, it really isn’t.

If you want to be a big club and take a Premier league clubs best players, you pay like a big club.

I won't be preached to by a Leicester fan on how a big club should act thanks.

We were paying big boy prices when you were still in nappies pal.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Aye maybe. But then again I personally don’t think Diaby would have been worth the money quoted, and the club thought the same. Let’s see this time. I think Maddison is worth it. Even if we have to get one or two players on loan to fill out.

That's fair. I think if we do actually end up with Maddison and CHO on loan out wide, that would be really good business.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

I was talking about where you could find value in the market and you started blathering on about Maddison playing for 4 years in the PL.

My point is that Bruno is a better player than Maddison or at least comparable (if you ignore they play in different positions), therefore we did find value in the market and can in the future markets.

We don't NEED to spend 60m to sign quality players and quite frankly I couldn't give a fuck if they are playing on the moon of they are good enough.

So the post made perfect sense apart from the different conversation you were having with yourself?

Strong opinion to suggest Bruno is better than Maddison based on his incredibly small sample size. Mo Diame looked like a £50m player for six months once too. Not saying Bruno will flop but trying to suggest he is better than Maddison is ludicrous.

It’s funny how suddenly we can find this great value in the market but the total opposite was the case when people were suggesting Wood at £25m was absolutely essential because there was no value to be had.

I’ve said it many times but will repeat it again once just for you, £50m-£60m for Maddison is good value.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Having Maddison in the last third will make us sooooo much more unpredictable in an attacking sense. Will we attack through the centre playing one twos for example, or will we mostly do it from wide.  Now its more often than not from wide. Too easy to read.

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

So the post made perfect sense apart from the different conversation you were having with yourself?

Strong opinion to suggest Bruno is better than Maddison based on his incredibly small sample size. Mo Diame looked like a £50m player for six months once too. Not saying Bruno will flop but trying to suggest he is better than Maddison is ludicrous.

It’s funny how suddenly we can find this great value in the market but the total opposite was the case when people were suggesting Wood at £25m was absolutely essential because there was no value to be had.

I’ve said it many times but will repeat it against once just for you, £50m-£60m for Maddison is good value.

A conversation I was having with myself? You quoted me? And started talking about a completely different subject.

And I will say this, just for you, Bruno was BETTER VALUE.

You still haven't apologised for the other day, you know when everyone made you look a dick for taking a cheap shot at me and LV? You disappeared for a couple of hours because the forum backed us and not you. [emoji38] 

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Pick one. :lol:

It's in a position we don't need to upgrade anywhere near as much as RW and ST, as Howe himself has said, as I'm saying. If Howe wants to play Maddison on the right in the way you're suggesting fair enough, but considering Diaby was the original choice, it very much suggests a different plan.

Diaby didn’t want to come. Maybe we’ve burned thru our right winger targets. I dunno what to say to you. Trust the manager. 

4 minutes ago, STM said:

And yet here you are thinking £40m is going to buy you Maddison and Barnes. 

8 minutes ago, jack j said:

Maddison has played a load of games on the right wing for leicester

Maybe so, but he's not a RW in the mould of Diaby or anyone else we've mooted for that position so I'd be surprised if Howe wanted Maddison with that position in mind.

Just now, STM said:

A conversation I was having with myself? You quoted me? And started talking about a completely different subject.

And I will say this, just for you, Bruno was BETTER VALUE.

You still haven't apologised for the other day, you know when everyone made you look a dick for taking a cheap shot at me and LV? You disappeared for a couple of hours because the forum backed us and not you. [emoji38] 

:lol: I disappeared for a few hours because I have a life. Why on Earth would I apologise for suggesting you’re a tit when you continue to act like one?

The rest of your post adds nothing to the conversation, Bruno was good value - but we’ll see how he develops to see if that remains the case. Wood was terrible value, we’ve had some wins and some losses there.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that Maddison would be cracking value at the cost it’s expected to take.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Relax man :lol:

I think his point has some validity to it.

Personally, I think this kind of move is a bit early for us. Purely because nowadays when buying top players (English players especially), from clubs in that 5th to 10th range, you typically have to pay through the nose. I'll be very surprised and incredibly impressed if we manage a deal for Maddison or Barnes.

The realistic guy to currently poach of them is Tielemans really, but he's holding out for Arsenal I think, now if that move doesn't materialise, perhaps there's a chance we convince him to join us.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Diaby didn’t want to come. Maybe we’ve burned thru our right winger targets. I dunno what to say to you. Trust the manager. 

I do trust the manager, I can still question the thinking behind his decision making, that's generally how you end up understanding things.