James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Was different for me - I didn’t really know much about him before he joined so was neutral on him to begin with. See your point though. 

Do we need everyone to be like Almiron though?

A player that will win us freekicks, and we have the players to regularly convert them. Yes please!

8 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Obviously. We have nothing to go off with Diaby, could be a complete flop for all we would know. At least with Maddison we can base it on what he's already done in the league.

I'd love him to sign, really think it would accelerate everything.

Any foreign player could be a flop tbf, Bruno could have been, so could Haaland until he actually does something here. Diaby is a French international, and he's scored some quality goals. You have to back your judgement at the end of the day, and he does look quality.

Maddison is already proven, that's what you're paying for, but Diaby does look like he might have a higher ceiling. He's only 22 as well so his value could go up, Maddison's is probably peak right now.

5 minutes ago, jack j said:

Is he honestly worth 60 Million though

Not for me tbh like....

Is any player? Compared to what City paid for Grealish he would be a bargain. They might be trying to squeeze an extra 5-10m out of us due to the "Richest club in the world" tax but I'd say 50m is the going rate for him atm.

Edited by Beth

3 minutes ago, snakzz said:

How long after the first rejected did we launch the second bid?

Put first bid in around about the time of the Atalanta game, was rejected Saturday morning. Second bid went in yesterday. At least that's when the news come out.

If Howe wants him, get him. Pay £50m rising to £55m or £60m with achievable performance based add ons. Can't take another saga where we eventually lose out a la Ekitike. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

He's worth £50mil in todays market for a British player - I don't think anyone would say we've over paid if we got him for that.  An extra 10 mil isn't going to break FFP rules.

Hopefully we go back in. It might not be the area of most pressing need in terms of equalising the levels of quality in all positions, but if you've got three absolutely class CMs then you're really onto something, even if it means - shudder! - Miguel Almiron has to play. 

35 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Maddison's really good like, but putting that amount of money down on him alone, in a position that isn't an immediate priority? Not for me Jeff, I'd be keeping Bruno in his influential role, going for a dedicated DM, and putting that money to use on Diaby or similar. 

I think they are determined to add guaranteed goals to the team, but don't feel as confident in the options available in that right wing spot, due to the high fees for Diaby and Harrison.

And so are looking at possibly adding goals via the right central midfield position as an alternative, and are now exploring the best goals/assists players for that position.

10 minutes ago, jack j said:

Is he honestly worth 60 Million though

Not for me tbh like....

Would put him in the top 50 transfer fees of all time

Most players are not worth what clubs are prepared to pay, tbf.

I mean, Cucurella isn't worth 50 million

28 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I personally think we'd get more from Maddison & Almiron/Fraser, than we would from Diaby & Willock/Longstaff/Shelvey.

I think this is exactly the sort of thing that is being discussed and determined behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’d much prefer Maddison but for 60m you’d think they’d go for one of our top targets (apparently) in DCL.

His goal scoring record is worse than Wilsons and hes gone right off the boil since that injury last season.

1 hour ago, Beth said:

£50m plus Dubravka would be a decent deal for us imo. Grealish is pretty much on par with Madison and the same age when he joined City for £100m. Now is not the time to be tight arses.

That £100 million fee for Grealish is looking crazier and more tragic by the day.

We probably shouldn't be basing any of our bids off of that deal in any way, shape or form whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’d much prefer Maddison but for 60m you’d think they’d go for one of our top targets (apparently) in DCL.

Calvert-Lewin is worth nowhere near £60m.

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I think we're in a tough spot with Wilson because I'm not sure I'd say DCL is much of an improvement (certainly not a 60m difference) and we're unlikely to play them both. At the same time Wilson is 30 and not a good bet to stay fit for an entire season. Maddison (or a winger) is much more obvious first team improvement.