James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Especially since we supposedly bid again for Harrison the other day and we're sounding out Werner and Cornet.

We've either got more than 40m or we have a scatter gun approach to our bids.

Werner was a loan, cornet they wanted to pay less than £17m and the Harrison bid was from a weird French source 

1 hour ago, mikejaxer said:

I'm sure the club knows what it's doing but I feel like I don't get it. We bid like 10-20 mil below the selling price then act surprised when it's rejected because it turns out good players are expensive.

I'm not saying we should fork out the money for these players but at some point, why aren't we just looking at cheaper players?

Who is saying we were surprised? There is so much bullshit posted at the moment on this forum, it's time to call it out.

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

If 40m is our budget then it seems highly unlikely we would have bid for Maddison like.

Not because it would blow it. But because it's obviously a waste of time. And in spite of what a few in this thread are praying for, we're not just wasting our time putting in pointless bids [emoji38]

In January the local reporters told us we had £50 million to spend. If Ekitike had signed as planned it would have been around £120 million spend.

I've said before I don't think we'll go nuts this window, but I also think this talk of budgets, FFP and future spending is an attempt to keep prices down. Plenty of experts have ran the numbers and FFP doesn't really hinder us at this point.

I'm speculating of course and while it doesn't add up to us, there will be a plan driving all of this.

If we only have 40M left on our budget for this window then that was never going to get Maddison and following some really sound transfers, why would we ignore more pressing positions?

If not getting Maddison means we get a decent back up striker and a winger then let’s hope we don’t get Maddison.

Really hoping that we’re just circling and about to bring in 2 or 3 next level players.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Maddison is the first time time we've shown our hand since Ekitike really.  I'm sure we'd go higher than £40 million for a player if we deemed it value.

I think we have bid more than £40 million, but the upfront money won't surpass that amount. The rest will be in add ons.

I'm not too disheartened by the developments tbh, they've made the bids which means the money is there to be spent. We're not done for this window by a long shot, cash has been put up and if it's not spent on Maddison then it'll be spent on someone else in the next month. Also encouraged by Howe's quotes today as they know exactly where they're looking to strengthen and they'll have a list and they'll fill those gaps and I'm 100% on that.

That said I'd still like Maddison, I think he'll add goals, quality and creativity when we're all crying out for exactly that, it seems to be the only thing that's missing. I'm slightly concerned that this might be out one and only chance to get him though, if he's still available next year then we don't stand a chance, it's shit or bust. But if it doesn't happen then fair enough, Leicester are asking a good price for a good player, they're doing exactly what they should be doing. 

Either way I'm pretty chill about it

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Hope was the only one saying our first bird was £35m, then second was £40m after never mentioning Maddison once before in any other pieces. If we're bidding for Maddison then I doubt £40m is all we have left.

He said £40m then sky said it was indeed £40m 

28 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Michael Edwards is arguably one of the best football execs out there too :lol:

It got really childish also the final year he was with us. Started addressing Michael Edwards as Eddie or something like that, a name which Edwards hated being called. The bizarre part is Rodgers is an excellent coach. His weakness is identifying players and scouting. If he had focused on coaching the players and tactics, and let Edwards do his job, he probably would have been in the job longer. Anyways, this has nothing to do with Maddison. Sorry for the thread hijack.

1 minute ago, rgk_lfc said:

It got really childish also the final year he was with us. Started addressing Michael Edwards as Eddie or something like that, a name which Edwards hated being called. The bizarre part is Rodgers is an excellent coach. His weakness is identifying players and scouting. If he had focused on coaching the players and tactics, and let Edwards do his job, he probably would have been in the job longer. Anyways, this has nothing to do with Maddison. Sorry for the thread hijack.

This is better content tbf [emoji38]

I think basically, no one has a fuckin clue how much we have or are willing to spend. It’s all just guesswork or a lot of it is. I’m just putting my faith in them and the manager, and what will be will be. This time last year I  was dreading the new season starting. This year, I can’t wait for it to start.

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

If we only have 40M left on our budget for this window then that was never going to get Maddison and following some really sound transfers, why would we ignore more pressing positions?

If not getting Maddison means we get a decent back up striker and a winger then let’s hope we don’t get Maddison.

Really hoping that we’re just circling and about to bring in 2 or 3 next level players.

I think it all depends on the money being paid upfront. If we end up bidding £60 million for Maddison, but with just £30 million upfront, maybe they accept?

Don’t come here and tell me Ashworth have bid £35m and £40m for Maddison if that’s whats left in the budget. He knows better than that. Either the bids for Maddison is bullshit/cover for something else or we have a way bigger budget than £40m.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

Pete Graves works for Sky and it's pretty obvious he's had no clue what's going on for donkeys.

Sky get their info from journalists anyway. I don't even think they are bothered in breaking news anymore. Although Kaveh and Darmesh like to think they are Andy "two phones" Burton.

Virtually the same panic set in during January. The difference here is that we have been working on deals for weeks AND still have a month left. We ended up with Burn, Targett and Bruno. I'd be happy with the equivalent of those 3 in the attacking areas.

1 minute ago, STM said:

If it had add ons and clauses, I doubt anyone knows the exact figure. I said earlier Leicester and Newcastle are briefing different numbers.

I agree with this. It's beneficial for Leicester to overplay a fee to appease supporters and show they drove a hard bargain. It's beneficial for us to underplay a fee so that prices don't shoot up and we're tough negotiators. Any final fee will be undisclosed, similar to the Trippier deal.

There's a possibility that a lot of this is just theatre and everyone actually knows where they stand, as with de Jong and Man United.

Guest HTT II

We badly need a main site IMO btw, back in the day, we were so far ahead of anyone else. We were constantly referenced as one of if not the best fan site’s out there, even in Rothman’s. We had over 20 writers who covered home and away games, we had our foreign based fans covering pre-season friendlies. We had player ratings before they become popular, we had buying from our rivals series, who the fuck are… series, behind enemy lines, we would do pre and post match reports and we probably invented click bait as we’d use News Now’s NUFC feed to send out articles and I won’t lie, it was click bait type headlines and they drew in views and clicks.

I remember writing an article about Luque, I’m a footballer get me out of here, when I’m a celebrity get me out of here just started and we used to have a comments form on the articles and it crashed the server, over 1000 replies in a few days. We had a good relationship with RAWK and CFCnet I think they were called who I regarded as the best or equal to us fan sites at the time, and they wanted to do a colab type thing with us.

NUFC.com insinuated we were plagiarising them RE certain things which we kind of were, but we went into way more depth, we just used them as a source of info and stats, so me and Biffa and Nial had a bit of a ding dong (both top blokes btw, and I won’t lie I wanted us to be the GREATEST and to put them under, because I’m a cunt), but they are the GOAT of all things NUFC and long may they continue.

This Incarnation of N.O has some history behind it (easily over 20 years now?) and owes its existence to so many, some sadly no longer with us in life or virtually, but it’s still for me my first port of call every day.