James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If it's one or the other it has to be Maddison for me. He's the safe bet, you could pretty much guarantee 15-20 goals/assists a season with him.

Szoboszlai might be a world beater and be even better, but there's always the risk he turns out like Havertz, Werner, etc.

I think where we are now, Maddison is the one to go for. When we've established ourselves in the top 4 over a few seasons we can maybe go for that type, but I think we should be doing all we can to get the likes of Maddison & Tierney this summer. 

Im sure I read that the price and wages were possibly a stumbling block for the Hungarian lad which makes an early purchase or one in general quite difficult 

I’ve seen some stuff on Facebook and Twitter with people going down the “no other player is good enough other than Szoboolai” or whatever he’s called similar to Paqueta last summer ?

Edited by ExiledGeordie

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If it's one or the other it has to be Maddison for me. He's the safe bet, you could pretty much guarantee 15-20 goals/assists a season with him.

Szoboszlai might be a world beater and be even better, but there's always the risk he turns out like Havertz, Werner, etc.

I think where we are now, Maddison is the one to go for. When we've established ourselves in the top 4 over a few seasons we can maybe go for that type, but I think we should be doing all we can to get the likes of Maddison & Tierney this summer. 

Aye, we can't afford to get many transfers wrong and Maddison is the safer bet. 

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

He'll be able to play as an attacking 8, 10, and LW/RW. Versatility Eddie loves. He'll be our key door unlocker. We desperately need players who are ball players like Bruno in addition to our runners. I have 0 doubts about his adaptability. We had no clue half of our players could be pressing machines until they were COACHED to do so. 

Agree. We drew 14 games last season and he'd be key in turning some of those into wins. Pace isn't as much use against teams that park the bus (the Leicester game is a good example) and we'll have more of those next season. In games against the top sides where we expect to counter, Maddison would play more centrally I would think and try to find the runners.

I think he'd gives us lots of options tactically and that keeps opponents guessing.

10 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Agree. We drew 14 games last season and he'd be key in turning some of those into wins. Pace isn't as much use against teams that park the bus (the Leicester game is a good example) and we'll have more of those next season. In games against the top sides where we expect to counter, Maddison would play more centrally I would think and try to find the runners.

I think he'd gives us lots of options tactically and that keeps opponents guessing.

His through ball play to strikers on the counter is quality to be fair 

3 hours ago, Paully said:

The Jimmy cricket song fits perfectly for Wor new Jimmy!

When he makes it swing the toon army will sing jimmy maddison? Ah reet wooah jimmy jimmy maddison...

Keep reading about FFP restrictions and it seemingly gets worse by the week. The more that’s coming out about it the more it seems to be imposed to keep the big clubs where they are and everyone else outside of that. 

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I was happy with either until I read this, but it makes sense. I don't think we can afford a mistake in the transfer market, so reducing your risk is the right thing to do 

4 minutes ago, Mills and Boon said:

I was happy with either until I read this, but it makes sense. I don't think we can afford a mistake in the transfer market, so reducing your risk is the right thing to do 

At the very worst, I just think they keep you around 6th place but with potential to be even better. Szoboszlai, might be so good that he keeps us 4th or above, but if it flops then the likes of Villa and Brighton might close the gap. 

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

At the very worst, I just think they keep you around 6th place but with potential to be even better. Szoboszlai, might be so good that he keeps us 4th or above, but if it flops then the likes of Villa and Brighton might close the gap. 

Agreed, but every transfer is a risk, Isak could have flopped for example. If we are seriously interested in Szoboszlai, I’d trust our people scouting him all the way to Howe and co coaching him to make sure he wouldn’t flop. Of the two Maddison is obviously less of a risk, but maybe we are genuinely after both? 

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think people forget that other teams are in Europe as well.. Brighton and villa will probably have more games to fit in as well.

You can argue it's an easier game but its injuries, Thursday games and fatigue that all starts to add up

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Out of interest all things being equal but you could only buy one… Mount or Maddison? Also what would you think EH would do in same dilemma?

Maddison. We dont have a player capable of the passes Maddison provides. Mount would fit in well, but we would still have the same problem as we saw against Leeds, Palace, Bournemouth etc.

10 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Out of interest all things being equal but you could only buy one… Mount or Maddison? Also what would you think EH would do in same dilemma?

I would buy Maddison but I think Howe might opt for Mount, as he would offer a similar work ethic to Longstaff but with better quality on the ball.

Maddison offers even more quality on the ball than Mount but the graft side of his game comes less natural, unless it isn’t expected of him when playing off the striker and Leicester not being known for their press.