James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

He’s far better than Shelvey, I’d have said before that he had a good attitude but he really did fuck all to drag his team to better things last season. He was as culpable as any of the others.. I’m not sure I want that.. great when things are good but goes missing when facing adversity etc.

I think he’d need a full season to reach the fitness levels required for our squad, bit like Gordon (except he’s a much better athlete)

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

He’s far better than Shelvey, I’d have said before that he had a good attitude but he really did fuck all to drag his team to better things last season. He was as culpable as any of the others.. I’m not sure I want that.. great when things are good but goes missing when facing adversity etc.

I think he’d need a full season to reach the fitness levels required for our squad, bit like Gordon (except he’s a much better athlete)

As if he did “f**k all.” 20 goal involvements! Leicester went down because of defence not attack. As if Maddison’s responsible for sorting the defence out. And the only way to drag up that defence is effectively for him to score even more goals and assists, which is a massively unfair ask

Did you watch any of their last few games? He was shockingly poor. His form brought him nicely up to the World Cup and then he just gave up on the cause.

I won’t be told any different.

1 hour ago, greydos said:

As if he did “f**k all.” 20 goal involvements! Leicester went down because of defence not attack. As if Maddison’s responsible for sorting the defence out. And the only way to drag up that defence is effectively for him to score even more goals and assists, which is a massively unfair ask

???

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

Did you watch any of their last few games? He was shockingly poor. His form brought him nicely up to the World Cup and then he just gave up on the cause.

I won’t be told any 

Edited by Gawalls

3 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

I won’t be told any different.

He was terrible in the handful of games I saw at the end of the season.  Looked disinterested or poor. 

Maddison has played most of the second half of the season with a persistent knee injury, similar to Bruno in that he was still played as he was too important to leave out. There have been periods where he didn’t train to try and rest it but is wheeled out for games.

He injured it in the last game for Leicester before the World Cup and Rodger’s was still talking about him struggling with it in March.

On 24/06/2023 at 03:08, ohmelads said:

On paper Maddison's a safer bet than someone like Dom Szob cos he's proven himself in a tougher league. That usually comes with a premium yet he's cheaper because of age, contract and Leicester's relegation. He's as safe a bet as you can make ability-wise but the main concern is his injury record.

I can also see why some are saying that Maddison just doesn't feel like a Newcastle player. Howe's building a team of warriors and Maddison does give off middle class hipster vibes. Based on Dennis Wise reports and what people are saying, Szob seems more like a Howe player. He's captain of Hungary at 22, has a more physical build and has proven he can play a high energy pressing game.

It'll probably be neither in the end and someone no one expected. If Spurs get Maddison, I hope we at least help to push the price up.

It’s total guesswork ofcourse but my hunch is Spurs are probably more willing to budge on asking price. There’s pressure on them to bring players in after a poor end to the season. It seems we are interested but we probably have other targets including that Dominic lad and as ohmelads says above has aspects that probably make him more favourable. We have our price in mind and if Leicester don’t budge we’ll move on.

That said I do find it amusing when you see some fans saying re Maddison “nah fuck him, he’s clearly not interested” or “he’s shite anyway” ?. He’s clearly class and the type of player we need but he’s also

allowed to keep his options open. I think he’d be a great signing but Im not concerned one bit. If he ends up here it’ll be because he was our main target, but if he doesn’t we’ve gone after someone else who fits the bill better. What will will be. Fans seem to get fixated on certain players on windows, it was Paqueta last summer. Just let the club do their thing and enjoy the fact we’re finally signing players.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

It’s total guesswork ofcourse but my hunch is Spurs are probably more willing to budge on asking price. There’s pressure on them to bring players in after a poor end to the season. It seems we are interested but we probably have other targets including that Dominic lad and as ohmelads says above has aspects that probably make him more favourable. We have our price in mind and if Leicester don’t budge we’ll move on.

That said I do find it amusing when you see some fans saying re Maddison “nah fuck him, he’s clearly not interested” or “he’s shite anyway” ?. He’s clearly class and the type of player we need but he’s also

allowed to keep his options open. I think he’d be a great signing but Im not concerned one bit. If he ends up here it’ll be because he was our main target, but if he doesn’t we’ve gone after someone else who fits the bill better. What will will be. Fans seem to get fixated on certain players on windows, it was Paqueta last summer. Just let the club do their thing and enjoy the fact we’re finally signing players.

Nicely put 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Were there any links at all to Tonali before we made our move on Tuesday (from journalist not ITKs)?

It's pretty fun not having the faintest ideas who put primary targets are.

I think there was one or two but I got the sense that a few just guessed that we might go for him after the Barella link faded. Think even a few on here may have suggested him too.

I’m sort of thinking that Edwards got told we were after an Italian CM from one of the Milan clubs and just guessed the wrong player :lol:

Have Leicester sold anyone for money yet?

Sure the only ones to leave have been on frees. There will be clubs hovering waiting to see what deals they can pick up but Leicester holding out for big money.

Maybe they need to play Leyton Orient pre season to help focus their minds on what's needed.

This may end up being a weird one. 

levy isn’t going to overpay and neither are we. Leicester were probably expecting a bidding war and potentially they haven’t had an offer yet. 

Can’t be a massive amount of weeks until the championship starts. 

Yeah you'd expect us and Spurs to hold the power here. Neither of us will overpay but seemingly we're the only buyers at the table. Leicester know they must sell, it'll fund their rebuild and they'll be flogging a player who will no way on this earth be happy to play in the Championship.

Appears Leicester are trying to play the 'we won't sell unless x price is met' card but there comes a point where that has to be dropped to guarantee a sale.