Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

You can see why as well, if we got say Cornet instead of Maddison it would feel like a bit of a let down :lol:

Nah. Maddison was never on my radar so if we don't get him it will not be any big thing. Cornet looks capable of doing a job on the right wing and has the all important PL experience.

My expectations are quite low, but I don't think we need too much in order to consolidate/take a small step up. I'm seriously wondering if all we have is £40 million left to spend. If we end up with Maddison for the whole wad then I'd be happy, tbh. Even with Wood up front, Miggy, Maddison and ASM playing off him would unsettle most defences.

2 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I'm seriously wondering if all we have is £40 million left to spend.

To be fair, it’s what we’ve been consistently told since Botman signed and the actions of the club seem to back that up 

Although we have bid on numerous players, we've yet to bid over £40 million for anybody. Therefore it's difficult to assume we have more than £40 million available. Howe saying he was hopeful of 1/2 signings would also back this up. We either blow the full 40 on one player, like Maddison, or we get a couple of bargains/prospects.

I don't think for a second we only have 40m. I think we are only prepared to pay what believe a player is worth.

I'm also certain the Maddison second bid was well in excess of 40m, even if it wasn't as high as 50m.

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Would anyone at the club ever tell a journalist what our budget actually is?

Probably not but they would hint at what it roughly is. The stories of a £40m budget and add the stories we are looking at a loan on top of a permanent signing it seems to add up. The stories are coming from somewhere. I just didn’t buy in to the general feeling on here that if a player became available we’d spend big. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when it comes to Maddison. 

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Would anyone at the club ever tell a journalist what our budget actually is?

You wouldn’t imagine so but they’re all saying roughly the same thing so something’s up. Or they’re all talking shit, which is feasible as well… Difficult to know.

We’re seemingly much tighter-lipped but I also don’t subscribe to the idea that Ashworth has a North Korean style vice grip on all leaks coming out of the club. 

Just now, gdm said:

Probably not but they would hint at what it roughly is. The stories of a £40m budget and add the stories we are looking at a loan on top of a permanent signing it seems to add up. The stories are coming from somewhere. I just didn’t buy in to the general feeling on here that if a player became available we’d spend big. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when it comes to Maddison. 

I think it's more likely that we spend 60m on two players than 50m on one.

I don't think it's about a budget, just not going above a certain ceiling on one player.

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Don’t understand the logic in supposedly not wanting Cornet  for 17 million as he’s to expensive but wanting Harrison who will probably cost double that.

The logic is that they rate Harrison higher.

Whether he's worth twice as much is debatable. I'd say that he wasn't worth twice as much but then again we haven't signed either so clearly we don't agree with either valuation.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

The logic is that they rate Harrison higher.

Whether he's worth twice as much is debatable. I'd say that he wasn't worth twice as much but then again we haven't signed either so clearly we don't agree with either valuation.

Exactly and to add on, maybe Cornet doesn’t fit Howe’s system the way they feel Harrison would. 

Given that, I don’t think either are our first choice. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Waugh has said that Cornet was "further down the list" and we haven't yet formalised our interest in him.

Goes completely against what Hope was reporting earlier in the week 

19 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I don't think Cornet will fit in with the type of team ethos we're seeking to build tbh. 

Based on what? Have you ever watched him outside of Burnley? This is such a strange comment.

I wouldn't say we've miscalculated in getting two CB's at all? Last season we had Clark, Fernandez, Lascelles and Schar as our CB's, the first two where clearly not good enough, and one of them was our only left sided CB, it was an area that very much needed refreshing. Now we have two right sided CB's and two left sided CB's that can compete,and any combination can come in and do a decent job.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

What is this based on?

I've noticed an interesting trend about assumptions people have about players' characters that I will keep to myself for now.

I think he's suggesting that Cornet plays as an individual, rather than a team player. I don't think he's making assumptions on his personality but more on the type of player he is on the pitch.

Just now, STM said:

I think he's suggesting that Cornet plays as an individual, rather than a team player. I don't think he's making assumptions on his personality but more on the type of player he is on the pitch.

ethos

/ˈiːθɒs/

noun

the characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as manifested in its attitudes and aspirations.

The words he has used are talking about attitudes and aspirations. That's an assumption on his personality.

26 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I don't think Cornet will fit in with the type of team ethos we're seeking to build tbh. 

Not sure I agree. He’s a tireless runner with great close control, technique and a mean left-foot. He’s a bargain at the prices being quoted. His downside imo is that perhaps his passing, while good, isn’t at the top-tier level where you think he’ll create a good chance whenever he’s on the ball (I really think we’re lacking that quality in the wide areas currently).