Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 minutes ago, maze said:

Yes. You seem to forget our ‘wonderful’ record of buying Manure rejects. 

Ok. 

I wouldn't be put off buying someone from somewhere because previous buys from there didn't work out.

FWIW I don't rate him but if someone at the club who probably knows a damn sight more than me does I'm not going to throw too much of a tantrum.

1 hour ago, LV said:

You got any theories on who at NUFC is an admirer? 

Reports i've seen suggest Howe is the main admirer. Which is a little worrying.

I feel like (noted, not seen in reports) that Howe was big proponent of the Gordon signing which I never liked. It's me looking at his Bournemouth days. He seemed to spend big money on youth from the PL which didn't work in the main. Solanke, Ibe spring to mind but Ake did.

But it seems to be some type of transfer team / committee with multiple inputs and sign-off and price points etc.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

I wouldn't be put off buying someone from somewhere because previous buys from there didn't work out.

FWIW I don't rate him but if someone at the club who probably knows a damn sight more than me does I'm not going to throw too much of a tantrum.

You're a big man that has watched football for a long time. You're entitled to your own opinion without throwing tantrums.

For what it's worth, I can understand why someone like Howe would like a player like McTominay, he's someone who is similar to Longstaff, a work horse who can be the link between defense and attack.

@Froggycould probably tell say more, but I'd imagine he'd be an upgrade on Longstaff, even if that is just quicker passing and better shooting ability.

I think he'd be uninspiring, and that we could do better, but I get it.

So what we looking at next season then lads...

----------------Pope----------------

Trippier---Schar---Maguire---Burn

---Longstaff---McTominay---Willock

---Almiron---Wilson---Joelinton---

Bench: Karius, Ashby, Krafth, Targett, Gordon, Isak, Jota

Injured: Tierney

Edited by The Prophet

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Bench: Karius, Ashby, Krafth, Burn, Gordon, Isak, Jota

Burn starting and on the bench? Never doubt him again

26 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Reports i've seen suggest Howe is the main admirer. Which is a little worrying.

I feel like (noted, not seen in reports) that Howe was big proponent of the Gordon signing which I never liked. It's me looking at his Bournemouth days. He seemed to spend big money on youth from the PL which didn't work in the main. Solanke, Ibe spring to mind but Ake did.

But it seems to be some type of transfer team / committee with multiple inputs and sign-off and price points etc.

Solanke just needed a bit more time, hes a decent player now.

22 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Bench: Karius, Ashby, Krafth, Targett, Gordon, Isak, Jota

Are we confident Ashby will be match fit by then?

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Yeah, Kaka the other day.

It was purely a 'I trust the people making the decisions more than everyone else' - I don't think anyone has been bold enough to openly say he would be a good buy.

33 minutes ago, TRC said:

Solanke just needed a bit more time, hes a decent player now.

:thup: Ibe is the only real dud signing in his history and that's been reported as being largely down to his own demons with depression.

Howe doesn't seem very keen on buying foreign players from abroad does he? Only did so a handful of times at Bournemouth. Has of course brought in Bruno, Isak and Botman but it seems like the players we're continually linked with are either UK born or have considerable PL experience.

I think I can also confidently assume that Isak and Botman spoke good English on arrival while Bruno barely spoke any and was blooded very slowly into the team. Maybe English proficiency is something he places a lot of emphasis on. Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, sixx said:

Howe doesn't seem very keen on buying foreign players from abroad does he? Only did so a handful of times at Bournemouth. Has of course brought in Bruno, Isak and Botman but it seems like the players we're continually linked with are either UK born or have considerable PL experience.

I think I can also confidently assume that Isak and Botman spoke good English on arrival while Bruno barely spoke any and was blooded very slowly into the team. Maybe English proficiency is something he places a lot of emphasis on. Just a thought.

I wouldn't read into press links too much.

2 minutes ago, sixx said:

He definitely seems to  be prioritising Premier League experience, only then pivoting to foreign options when the options here are not feasible for one reason or the other.

Looked like we were looking at DCL ahead of Isak at one point, with his injury issues causing us to move away from him, just as another example.

24 minutes ago, sixx said:

Someone described it on here a couple of days back as NUFC's Brexit transfer policy. I can understand it to some extent, Howe probably wants to work with players who will follow his blueprint, maybe PL players are more willing to do that from the off.

My concern is we might be missing out on the really good players available from around the world by limiting ourselves to the likes of - for example - McTominay. Yes it will be an improvement, but not top four improvement.

I think Howe just probably thinks it will allow us to progress quicker having a strong base of Prem experienced players initially, until we become a bit more established.

I think the value abroad is always so much better, and the midfield options we have been linked with abroad are so much more interesting IMO i.e. the likes of Ugarte and Alvarez just as two quick examples that are McTominay type combative midfielders.

However, we'll just have to let Howe do his thing and probably have one of these Prem preferences flop, so he gets it out of his system. Unless of course they come in and they do better under him with his tutelage. It will work itself out.

Edited by KaKa

Solanke was a dud for Howe.

Looking at his transfer record:

benik afobe - €14m

Mings - €12m (massive shame for Howe)

Max Gradel - €10m

Ibe - €18m

Ake - €23m

Begovic - €12m

Lerma - €31m true forrin 

solanke - €22m

Rico - €15m true forrin

Mepham - €13m

Brooks - €12m

Billing - €17m

Danjuma - €17m true forrin

Kelly - €15m

It’s a patchy record man.  Strong preference for British football experience. Willing to pay that premium. Most of these are pretty talented tbf.  The foreign signings mostly flopped too. 

Gordon and McTominay for £70m combined isn’t a massive jump away from the above.  

Edited by The College Dropout

You think Ashworth has come from Brighton where you get 4 Ecuadoreans for the price of a Solanke. 

So I hope there’s a blend in our approach. Your Milners, Barry’s, Bellamy, Lescott, even the evil lad contributed a lot to City climbing the league. But it’s the Yaya and Silva and Aguero signings that took it over the top. 

Fair points raised above, but...

1) Most of our transfers have been hits to date. Without reopening the Wood debate, he served his purpose and we recouped a fair bit of his original fee. Isak the jury is still out on, but given time and a decent run in the team I'm sure he'll be great. All involved have earned the benefit of the doubt.

2) Ashworth has said himself that Howe isn't signing off on transfers. He is one of three (along with Nickson and Ashworth himself) who are consulted, but agreement is needed from all three before they pursue a target.