Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

9 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Can't see Rice coming here, nor can I see us spending that amount on one player.

Think City, Arsenal and Man Utd will have first dibs too. We're one or two seasons away from that calibre of signing I'd say.

Rice will have many options, he will know he will have some big hitters.

Think be a good idea to focus on other targets, especially when reaching the CL will attract more interest to the Geordies.

3 hours ago, BennyBlanco said:

Re Bellingham - makes me wonder why anyone would want to go to Real Madrid anymore. Their fans are absolutely atrocious, the standard of Spanish football has definitely plummeted in the last 10 years and I can’t honestly think of one player who left with his dignity intact. They even booed Ronaldo ffs.

?and ?

I think even if we get CL, our strategy will be to look for more Brunos and Botmans - players who stand out in their leagues in Europe and we reckon they can succeed in the PL (imagine what those two would go for now.) We've done that well so far so I don't see a major shift in strategy now even if we do need to look at improving the first XI in one or two areas. I think we are actively trying to avoid bidding wars with the kinds of clubs who have far bigger wage bills.

The one marquee Premier League signing we tried to do was Maddison but that was probably because of their financial situation and we seemed to have a clear run at it at the time. Otherwise, I think the strategy has been going for potential that has yet to peak like Gordon, or those who we think have flown under a lot of people's radar (like Burn, Targett). 

I don't see us spending most of our transfer and wage budget on someone like Rice. He would want the same wages teams like Man U or Liverpool would offer him. 

1 hour ago, ohmelads said:

I think even if we get CL, our strategy will be to look for more Brunos and Botmans - players who stand out in their leagues in Europe and we reckon they can succeed in the PL (imagine what those two would go for now.) We've done that well so far so I don't see a major shift in strategy now even if we do need to look at improving the first XI in one or two areas. I think we are actively trying to avoid bidding wars with the kinds of clubs who have far bigger wage bills.

The one marquee Premier League signing we tried to do was Maddison but that was probably because of their financial situation and we seemed to have a clear run at it at the time. Otherwise, I think the strategy has been going for potential that has yet to peak like Gordon, or those who we think have flown under a lot of people's radar (like Burn, Targett). 

I don't see us spending most of our transfer and wage budget on someone like Rice. He would want the same wages teams like Man U or Liverpool would offer him. 

Agree with everything except the bolded.

We need Pope, Trippier type signings of getting great players who suddenly become available at knockdown prices (Maddison or Barnes fall into this bracket potentially). And the Isak, Botman, Bruno CL-level at young age maybe a little unproven in the major leagues (Diaby, midfielder Thuram). And we need more 16-21 year-olds (Lavia and such). With the possible exception of Maddison, i don't think any of these profiles would demand £200k+ p/w.

2 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

Isak

Bellingham     Maddison 

Joe       Bruno

Rice

Target Botman Schar Trippier 

Pope

…..would be nice ;) 

Got something against wingers ?

2 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

Isak

Bellingham     Maddison 

Joe       Bruno

Rice

Target Botman Schar Trippier 

Pope

…..would be nice ;) 

Spending so much money on Rice and Bellingham that Targett stays as first choice LB  :pedro:

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Got something against wingers ?

We’ve never really had traditional wingers in a long time. Our outfield players like maxi, miggy and Murphy like to cut in. Both tripper and target can put balls in on the flanks .

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

Im sure there was a quote a while back where Rice said it wouldn’t be about money but about the excitement of the project he’d go to?

They probably all say that at some point. But the lure of Man City is tempting. No doubt Kalvin Philips thought the same before he moved.

3 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

We’ve never really had traditional wingers in a long time. Our outfield players like maxi, miggy and Murphy like to cut in. Both tripper and target can put balls in on the flanks .

Fair enough our possession stats would certainly be good with that line up.

Edited by Whitley mag

Isak

Pedro                      Diaby                    
              Veiga       Bruno

Ugarte 

Grimaldo Botman  Schär Trippier

Pope

Not necessarily a must start 11 but wanted to put the new signings in. Add some cover for Schär and Tripps maybe. A lot of money but we would have very good depth and be able to rotate well And have quality.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Isak

Pedro                      Diaby                    
              Veiga       Bruno

Ugarte 

Grimaldo Botman  Schär Trippier

Pope

Not necessarily a must start 11 but wanted to put the new signings in. Add some cover for Schär and Tripps maybe. A lot of money but we would have very good depth and be able to rotate well And have quality.

I’ll have to YouTube this Veiga kid but that looks a tasty line up.

No Joelinton, Willock, Gordon, St Max and Wilson either. 

Could realistically see one of Pedro or Diaby added in the summer with the other players you’ve mentioned, if St Max left then possibly both.

I can't see us signing a full on attacking LB akin to Trippier. Don't get me wrong, Burn needs to be upgraded in the summer, but in our 4-3-3 the LB drops alongside the CBs into a 3 to aid in build up whilst the RB (Trippier) bombs forward. I can't see that changing in the short-medium term. Especially next season. Be a more defensively sound LB I think that's brought in, if we bring one in. Know absolutely nowt about that Grimaldo, if he's along those lines then fair. A Burn upgrade, a CM, a RW who can play up front if needed and a young right sided CB is what we need most of all in the summer.

I've seen many in the media make comparisons to how we play and how are as a team atm to earlyish Klopp Liverpool, circa 2016-17. They weren't in any European football in 2016-17 and were 2nd at the end of December, but when Mane went to the AFCON in January they won 1 in 7 as he was of similar importance to them as Bruno is to us hence our dip in form in February when he was suspended. He came back and they replicated their early season form and finished 4th. With CL football the following season, they made 4 summer signings; Salah, Robertson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Solanke. Van Dijk came in in January. An overhaul or padding out of the squad won't happen in the summer but smart business like Liverpool did back then is what'll be required and what I think will happen.