Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, STM said:

Spot on. Said the same the other day.

We've also got a couple of saleable assets for a change.

Who do you think we would sell?

I don't think we're selling anyone with sizeable minutes or value this season. I think we sell Targett. Dubs, Krafth, Murphy, Manquillo & Lascelles go for pennies imo and I don't think we sell all of them. ASM & Almiron we keep.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

Personally think Rice is doable.

If our owners think they can sign Rice, they will do it. Wages and transfer fee won't be an issue.

He's a proper marquee player. He's the next england captain FFS. We would do it.

Sounds like facts ;) 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Who do you think we would sell?

I don't think we're selling anyone with sizeable minutes or value this season. I think we sell Targett. Dubs, Krafth, Murphy, Manquillo & Lascelles go for pennies imo and I don't think we sell all of them. ASM & Almiron we keep.

I think we will sell ASM. Not based on anything other than a hunch. We'd get 30m.

We got 17 back for Wood. I'd reckon we'd get 12/14 for Lascelles, he's our captain and a PL player (albeit a limited one).

Murphy is a regular for a side in 3rd. He's not a great player and we won't sell him but we'd get more than 10m for him, easy.

Someone like Burnley would snap our arms off for Murphy. 

There's 55m of potential sales in 3 players. I'm not saying we will or we should... just that we could.

Wages are always going to be an issue for us in the short to medium term.

We’re already at over 90% wages to turnover ratio, and although we’ll have some lovely new sponsorships sorted soon, they won’t be a silver bullet. 

If you bring in someone on £200k+ p/w, then if you’re Bruno’s agent you’re saying, “we know what your wage structure allows,  he needs to be around the top as well”. 

It’s going to take a little while yet before we can start offering those kind of numbers 

9 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Can't see Rice coming here, nor can I see us spending that amount on one player.

Think City, Arsenal and Man Utd will have first dibs too. We're one or two seasons away from that calibre of signing I'd say.

Rice will have many options, he will know he will have some big hitters.

Think be a good idea to focus on other targets, especially when reaching the CL will attract more interest to the Geordies.

3 hours ago, BennyBlanco said:

Re Bellingham - makes me wonder why anyone would want to go to Real Madrid anymore. Their fans are absolutely atrocious, the standard of Spanish football has definitely plummeted in the last 10 years and I can’t honestly think of one player who left with his dignity intact. They even booed Ronaldo ffs.

?and ?

I think even if we get CL, our strategy will be to look for more Brunos and Botmans - players who stand out in their leagues in Europe and we reckon they can succeed in the PL (imagine what those two would go for now.) We've done that well so far so I don't see a major shift in strategy now even if we do need to look at improving the first XI in one or two areas. I think we are actively trying to avoid bidding wars with the kinds of clubs who have far bigger wage bills.

The one marquee Premier League signing we tried to do was Maddison but that was probably because of their financial situation and we seemed to have a clear run at it at the time. Otherwise, I think the strategy has been going for potential that has yet to peak like Gordon, or those who we think have flown under a lot of people's radar (like Burn, Targett). 

I don't see us spending most of our transfer and wage budget on someone like Rice. He would want the same wages teams like Man U or Liverpool would offer him. 

1 hour ago, ohmelads said:

I think even if we get CL, our strategy will be to look for more Brunos and Botmans - players who stand out in their leagues in Europe and we reckon they can succeed in the PL (imagine what those two would go for now.) We've done that well so far so I don't see a major shift in strategy now even if we do need to look at improving the first XI in one or two areas. I think we are actively trying to avoid bidding wars with the kinds of clubs who have far bigger wage bills.

The one marquee Premier League signing we tried to do was Maddison but that was probably because of their financial situation and we seemed to have a clear run at it at the time. Otherwise, I think the strategy has been going for potential that has yet to peak like Gordon, or those who we think have flown under a lot of people's radar (like Burn, Targett). 

I don't see us spending most of our transfer and wage budget on someone like Rice. He would want the same wages teams like Man U or Liverpool would offer him. 

Agree with everything except the bolded.

We need Pope, Trippier type signings of getting great players who suddenly become available at knockdown prices (Maddison or Barnes fall into this bracket potentially). And the Isak, Botman, Bruno CL-level at young age maybe a little unproven in the major leagues (Diaby, midfielder Thuram). And we need more 16-21 year-olds (Lavia and such). With the possible exception of Maddison, i don't think any of these profiles would demand £200k+ p/w.

2 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

Isak

Bellingham     Maddison 

Joe       Bruno

Rice

Target Botman Schar Trippier 

Pope

…..would be nice ;) 

Got something against wingers ?

2 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

Isak

Bellingham     Maddison 

Joe       Bruno

Rice

Target Botman Schar Trippier 

Pope

…..would be nice ;) 

Spending so much money on Rice and Bellingham that Targett stays as first choice LB  :pedro:

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Got something against wingers ?

We’ve never really had traditional wingers in a long time. Our outfield players like maxi, miggy and Murphy like to cut in. Both tripper and target can put balls in on the flanks .

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

Im sure there was a quote a while back where Rice said it wouldn’t be about money but about the excitement of the project he’d go to?

They probably all say that at some point. But the lure of Man City is tempting. No doubt Kalvin Philips thought the same before he moved.