Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Depends if Howe wants competition for places type players or immediate upgrades to the 11 as both come could potentially come in different price brackets. 

Wonder if Howe changes his mind on not wanting to bring in loans if you aren't wanting to buy due to the extra fixtures. 

Exciting times either way. We may well not spend or bring in enough but will be substantially more investment that in the previous regime. Not been enough time or transfer windows have gone by that I don't still remember bidding half a players value  and saying we tried or declaring we are done with no noticeable improvements.

Ignoring signings like Kuol who are for the future I think it will be like last summer, where people expected loads of signings and we only made 4 (1 of which was already here and the other was done late in the window and more opportunistic)

I accept being a CL club changes things and perhaps easier to sign the level of player we want but I genuinely don't think Howe would want 5+ players in one window

42 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I disagree. We leaned very heavily on the same small group of players this season and had great success doing so. A red card, an injury etc could be the difference next season. I think part of the reason those numbers are so low...and part of the reason we relied on the same 16 guys is because howe doesnt trust the fellas at the end of the bench. He's hinted at it recently in terms of him leaning heavily on certain players and barely limping across the finish line. We wont get away with that next season. Even if we can its not a smart risk to take. 

We cant replace 3 fullbacks and 2 wingers with one player. 

Ok, but you're still limited in terms of squad numbers. We had 25 this season, I'm fairly sure we'll have to add Gordon now because he's 22 so that's 26. If we sign nine more players thats 35 so who are the ten on the current squad list you're moving on? Bearing in mind you've got the likes of Hayden, Hendrick and Darlow who are technically still on the books.

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

Ignoring signings like Kuol who are for the future I think it will be like last summer, where people expected loads of signings and we only made 4 (1 of which was already here and the other was done late in the window and more opportunistic)

I accept being a CL club changes things and perhaps easier to sign the level of player we want but I genuinely don't think Howe would want 5+ players in one window

This could be an approach, yes we have money but the pools we are fishing in and now different. It would hard to convince a player to join us other a real, Barca, PSG etc so keeping our powder dey until later and picking off players they pass over could be sensible. 

3 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Ok, but you're still limited in terms of squad numbers. We had 25 this season, I'm fairly sure we'll have to add Gordon now because he's 22 so that's 26. If we sign nine more players thats 35 so who are the ten on the current squad list you're moving on? Bearing in mind you've got the likes of Hayden, Hendrick and Darlow who are technically still on the books.

That’s a valid point re. Gordon, he’ll take one of the 25 slots next season.

24 minutes ago, Sufi said:

Surely some of those players would be replacements for players sold? We've made a jump equivalent to championship>premier league. Literally 5-6 players who have featured for us this season will serve no purpose next season and probably shouldnt be relied on even in an emergency situation. We could also lose 1-2 players most likely Dubravka and ASM.

I could just be out of my mind thinking this is football manager hahaha

I know what you mean, I just think the negative impact on our current players would be bigger than the positive impact of signing the players.

Just not worth the risk to unsettle a squad, particularly when it's in such a great place mentally right now.

However yes on football manager we all like to go abit wild!

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Dummett and Ritchie out of contract, so that brings the squad down to 24

Then Fraser will be gone, then if Lewis & Manquillo go that takes it down to 21

However Howe seems to want Dummett to stay so could be 22 (Or maybe Dummett stays but only gets in the CL squad but not the PL squad)

So there is some flexibility in the squad but the idea that we'll sign 5/6+ is fanciful imo

1 hour ago, Sufi said:

I disagree. We leaned very heavily on the same small group of players this season and had great success doing so. A red card, an injury etc could be the difference next season. I think part of the reason those numbers are so low...and part of the reason we relied on the same 16 guys is because howe doesnt trust the fellas at the end of the bench. He's hinted at it recently in terms of him leaning heavily on certain players and barely limping across the finish line. We wont get away with that next season. Even if we can its not a smart risk to take. 

We cant replace 3 fullbacks and 2 wingers with one player. 

Ritchie, Lewis and Dummett are all de facto left backs. We already have Targett and Burn there. If we buy left back, all those are gone. 

RB position we got Trippier and Ashby, so Krafth and Manquillo are 3rd and 4th choice. You don't have to replace these guys necessarily. 

Just now, KingArthur said:

Ritchie, Lewis and Dummett are all de facto left backs. We already have Targett and Burn there. If we buy left back, all those are gone. 

RB position we got Trippier and Ashby, so Krafth and Manquillo are 3rd and 4th choice. You don't have to replace these guys necessarily. 

Doubt Dummett goes anywhere. Ever.

I would consider Ritchie and Dummettt player-coaches or player-cheerleaders at this point, they don't have any part to play in the actual team. 

Lewis is a bit of an anomaly that I guess we might be able to loan out, or we would if Shola wasn't in charge of loans. 

35 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Like TCD says, unless there's an influx of youngster who are immediately loaned out, we won't sign nine. Howe has spoken at length about evolving the squad and the detrimental effect of too many signing on team spirit. 

If we sign five, we have two passable players in every position. 

I am interested to see how Howe handles any bids for Lascelles or Murphy though. By all accounts key men in the dressing room, but he'll be under pressure with FFP to consider and the players moving to the fringes of the squad. 

I think both are out if a decent bid comes in. Great lads, but we can do better and their price most likely is only going down.

48 minutes ago, NoU said:

Szobo is also playing in of the most high-press clubs in Europe. You can't really tell from those stats how Maddison would fit in that role. I am sure our scouts will assess that better ;)

giphy.gif.d8091cf1fffce6b1560a4859aea45abc.gif

'Tanner ball player' was a term in Scotland - I'm not sure if it's still in use - but it refers to a skilful player who only plays when they're in possession of the ball. That seems to be a charge that's being levelled at Maddison, but I doubt that it's justified. Even if it is, I think Eddie will soon sort him out, because he won't get picked.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Like TCD says, unless there's an influx of youngster who are immediately loaned out, we won't sign nine. Howe has spoken at length about evolving the squad and the detrimental effect of too many signing on team spirit. 

If we sign five, we have two passable players in every position. 

I am interested to see how Howe handles any bids for Lascelles or Murphy though. By all accounts key men in the dressing room, but he'll be under pressure with FFP to consider and the players moving to the fringes of the squad. 

Lascelles has barely played in 2 seasons. I doubt anyone will be in for him unless we actively shop him around.

Be Surprised if we've got anyone in before we play Rangers in mid July. Think we will be playing the waiting game again. They've already shown we won't be bent over for £££ that's not gonna change

Just now, toon25 said:

Will we release Fraser, do you reckon?

What will likely happen with the likes of Hendrick, Clark and Hayden?

No, we will try sell him probably get a nominal fee ala Shelvey.

I'm sure the contracts of Hendrick, /Clark and Hayden have been written down already.