Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

We've spent 150m quid since January, it's no wonder the budget might be a tad depleted.

Imagine the takeover happened and we were sitting comfortable in the table, we may have only signed one player in January and spent 150m in this window. Noone would have bat an eyelid.

I'd like to think there may be resources in January available too.

1 minute ago, STM said:

We've spent 150m quid since January, it's no wonder the budget might be a tad depleted.

Imagine the takeover happened and we were sitting comfortable in the table, we may have only signed one player in January and spent 150m in this window. Noone would have bat an eyelid.

I'd like to think there may be resources in January available too.

I don’t fully agree with that. It’s based on looking at who is in our squad rather than how much we’ve spent. 

if we’d got Ekitike then I’m sure nobody would be worried.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

I don’t fully agree with that. It’s based on looking at who is in our squad rather than how much we’ve spent. 

if we’d got Ekitike then I’m sure nobody would be worried.

Is it a striker or winger you are worried about?

Also, why are you worried? We are a top 10 side, as it is. That's strong progression in less than a season.

We will get at least 1 more and we will be in pretty good shape. Every club chases perfection.

9 hours ago, Conjo said:

He played more games as a striker than a winger last season.

Tried looking this up, not seeing that. 12 as cente forward scoring 3, 1 as second striker scoring 1 and 13 as a winger scoring 5. Still miles ahead of Fraser, Murphy and Almiron. And more versatile.

According to Craig Hope etc at the True Faith talk-in last night there's £20m cash available for the remainder of the transfer window. That's one of the reasons we didn't go further for Cornet as West Ham are paying the £17.5 release fee upfront. That £20m could be used as a big down payment for £40m+ player and a loan or split across 2 signings of lower value. 

So is that the True Faith lads back to being "ITK" then? Just I can't keep up because yesterday they were being mocked, but now that the narrative can be read as PIF don't have a pot to piss in, they're seemingly credible again?

1 minute ago, Yelevats said:

We made a bid of 40m however no one knows the structure of the bid. It may have been 20m up front with the rest paid over instalments.

That's still a 40m in bid. 

Selling clubs aren't bothered about the structure, for the most part. If a certain figure is guaranteed, they can take a loan out to have the money available, which is what most clubs do.

The point is, we have plenty of scope to get one permanent deal in.

1 minute ago, Yelevats said:

We made a bid of 40m however no one knows the structure of the bid. It may have been 20m up front with the rest paid over instalments.

More than likely, seeing as that’s how the vast majority of transfers are paid. This £20m upfront news means fuck all. £20m upfront as a first payment could potentially mean we can buy a £100m player over 5 years. It’s meaningless.

Just now, STM said:

Is it a striker or winger you are worried about?

Also, why are you worried? We are a top 10 side, as it is. That's strong progression in less than a season.

We will get at least 1 more and we will be in pretty good shape. Every club chases perfection.

I’m not necessarily worried, I said yesterday that I’d take 11th with a good cup run. I’m just saying I doubt anyone on here is worried about how much we spend, just the players we bring in. Nobody is saying we need to spend £500m or whatever, a couple if good loan signings would be more than enough.

We do however have two strikers in the squad. One of whom is likely to get injured and the other is utter shite. Can’t see the cup run happening anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

More than likely, seeing as that’s how the vast majority of transfers are paid. This £20m upfront news means fuck all. £20m upfront as a first payment could potentially mean we can buy a £100m player over 5 years. It’s meaningless.

Yeah it means very little. Sometimes clubs prefer x amount upfront but it's rarely a deal breaker.

We sold Sissoko and recieved 6 x 6m over 6 years, or something like that. Mind you, that's a terrible example because we spent fuck all. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

However it’s not meaningless because we are struggling massively to sign anyone of the players the squad genuinely needed at the start of pre season. We can’t even afford Maxwell Cornet who would have strengthened us because Burnley want the value of that transfer up front due to the fact it’ll wipe out the transfer budget and that’s only 17.5m.

I know we are expected to be patient and grateful for everything the new owners have done for us but the current methods which we are trying to do business by to sign the players who we need is bonkers as it is clearly not moving us forward as things stand today.

13 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Aye, just means it may not work for the Maddison deal as seemingly Leicester need money so would need a larger payment upfront.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, just means it may not work for the Maddison deal as seemingly Leicester need money so would need a larger payment upfront.

If they have an overdraft facility, like we have just arranged with HSBC, then it's no problem whatsoever.

Most clubs transfers work on credit and loans.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

If they have an overdraft facility, like we have just arranged with HSBC, then it's no problem whatsoever.

Most clubs transfers work on credit and loans.

I’ll be honest I have no idea what that HSBC thing was about or how it works/effects this window.

34 minutes ago, KDT said:

According to Craig Hope etc at the True Faith talk-in last night there's £20m cash available for the remainder of the transfer window. That's one of the reasons we didn't go further for Cornet as West Ham are paying the £17.5 release fee upfront. That £20m could be used as a big down payment for £40m+ player and a loan or split across 2 signings of lower value. 

How does this work though, could we not have just taken a loan out if we wanted Cornet?

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I'm convinced if the right player becomes available for a good price the money will be put up, it looks like the professionals that own us know how to negotiate and won't be ripped off 

£50m/£60m is a good price for Maddison. Absolutely nothing suggests we will. Everything suggests there is a strict budget and they are determined to stick to it. I know it’s not popular view but it’s certainly looking that way 

3 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

If we're a structured deal kind of club, now...then all the transfers since Jan could also be. So we might not have spent £150m+, we might have simply committed to that amount. 

It'll be interesting to see the first accounts from these current owners. Until then, we'll just be guessing. 

Something doesn’t add up that’s for sure. However let’s wait as you say.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

How does this work though, could we not have just taken a loan out if we wanted Cornet?

Possibly, it could be that Cornet was a bit further down on the list of people they like and they didn't feel it was worth it in the end.

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

maybe we do have 50m per window and we overspent in January to stay up?

I’m sure there were stories that the money for Bruno was brought forward to the January to get him. Plus I don’t think A striker was in the plans for January until Wilson got injured