Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I get why Howe bangs the FFP drum, but had our second Maddison bid been accepted, you're looking at a £105 million outlay, following a £90 million outlay in January. There's clearly money there, but we're being smart about how we spend it.

Eddie is lowering expectations.

I'll say it again - I do question the wisdom of spending £50m on GK & LCB with our limited budget before getting in attacking players. I guess we counted our chickens with the Etikite deal.

I think a loan or 2 is looking most likely.

It doesn't sound like we are willing to drop £50m in transfer fees at all. Unless we lose all 4 opening games and panic sets in.

Edited by The College Dropout

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I'll say it again - I do question the wisdom of spending £50m on GK & LCB with our limited budget before getting in attacking players. I guess we counted our chickens with the Etikite deal.

Tbf Botman was clearly the number one target and he’s already looking levels above Burn and I think they were confident of Ekitike being done which ever way that deal would have worked be it small fee up front or loan and that would have just left a winger 

33 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I just don't get why people are so desperate to make premature conclusions. Unless you think the entire thing is a lie, and we're in fact not trying to strengthen the squad, the only time to assess our business is on the 2nd September.

If you think we've done poorly in not signing an attacker by Game 1/2/3/4/5, then fair enough (I don't agree, but it's a rational view); but to cast aspersions about our transfer policy or our mechanisms or the budget - when the cake is still in the oven ( @Kanji), is a bit mad. 

Oven-ready transfers 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

How come we’re trying to spend £40+ on Maddison then?

We are in to pure guesswork here now but it’s possible they thought they could get Maddison done instead of a winger given Almiron’s form and signing a winger being proving difficult (I’ve noticed need for a winger hasn’t been mentioned much recently by howe or the press) and then get a striker on loan or just go with what we have. It’s not the first time Howe has suggested ASM and Joelinton can cover there. 

End goal is adding goals and assists to the team and Maddison does that 

Edited by gdm

14 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Joelinton back up front petrifies me to be honest :lol:

Nah man, we’ve got the new model of big Joe. Comes with a reinforced defensive shield and a turbo rocket shot. This model also has some of the previous faults removed from the last line, e.g. kicking ball into his own face 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It doesn't sound like we are willing to drop £50m in transfer fees at all. Unless we lose all 4 opening games and panic sets in.

The most progress in two transfer windows b2b in what feels like 15 years or more and you seem to be working very hard to paint it as negative as you can.

Clearly money is there for two attacking players, but they prefer not to overpay. First time you do it, all clubs will add on extra and make our dealings difficult and expensive. I still think we will improve ourselves before window shuts. Same as January.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

£40m+ isn't the £50m+ we'll need to have a proper chance of securing JM though is it? It sounds like our last offer was our best.

I think his point is that there's still money there for incomings.

Just now, hakka said:

The most progress in two transfer windows b2b in what feels like 15 years or more and you seem to be working very hard to paint it as negative as you can.

Clearly money is there for two attacking players, but they prefer not to overpay. First time you do it, all clubs will add on extra and make our dealings difficult and expensive. I still think we will improve ourselves before window shuts. Same as January.

I'm not making it sound negative - just sharing my thoughts.

It's clear Ekitike was Plan A. Ekitike, Botman & Pope c. £90m maybe a loan too. Call it £100m all in. Deals structured over the contracts. That was a good solid plan. If we knew in May that we couldn't sign Ekitike and how much some of the other options would cost, I think we would've tackled the market differently. e.g. maybe Dubravka is fine as #1 if we have another £15m to spend on more expensive wingers. I'm giving the management credit in saying - Plan A made a lot of sense. But clearly Plan B wasn't sufficient because we have surpassed that too.

With Howe saying we aren't going to splash the cash as some have thought. I currently, don't expect us to sign £70m worth of attackers. I think a permanent transfer under £45m with a loan to supplement. Which would be good.

Guest reefatoon
40 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Joelinton back up front petrifies me to be honest :lol:

Think I would rather see a resurgent full of confidence Joelinton playing there ahead of Wood.

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm not making it sound negative - just sharing my thoughts.

It's clear Ekitike was Plan A. Ekitike, Botman & Pope c. £90m maybe a loan too. Call it £100m all in. Deals structured over the contracts. That was a good solid plan. If we knew in May that we couldn't sign Ekitike and how much some of the other options would cost, I think we would've tackled the market differently. e.g. maybe Dubravka is fine as #1 if we have another £15m to spend on more expensive wingers. I'm giving the management credit in saying - Plan A made a lot of sense. But clearly Plan B wasn't sufficient because we have surpassed that too.

With Howe saying we aren't going to splash the cash as some have thought. I currently, don't expect us to sign £70m worth of attackers. I think a permanent transfer under £45m with a loan to supplement. Which would be good.

That sounds a lot more balanced framed that way. I just see the transfer window as something as an upward battle for us because we are not a top 6 side in Europe, and the Saudi tax slap on is also a battle. Plus we are trying overhaul our squad with many quality additions. That isn't easy as what you want isn't always available, they prefer other offers or we are being priced out and it's a large net spend for 2022 alone we are going for. Outgoings not generating funds either isn't helping.

So I'm more understanding and forgiving of the window as it's not easy to traverse. I'm not using what's happened so far to go extrapolate much detail around what we have to spend, why we are not overspending (other than common sense) etc. and seeing as January window delievered late on it is likely more signings will happen still yet this window.

Edited by hakka

Main thing I takeaway from that pre match interview is just the fact that we will be making more signings there's no doubt about that. Howe is clearly pushing for it, the club are pushing for new signings, it will happen but it might take a few weeks and I wouldn't be surprised to see a deadline day deal.

I took things from Howes presser.

1. He alluded to holding our nerve, which refers to getting the players we want (Maddison is almost certainly one of those players)

2. He talked about getting the correct feeling of commitment from players and their agents. I took this as, they have spoken to Maddison and he wants to come.

3 hours ago, Manxst said:

More than likely, seeing as that’s how the vast majority of transfers are paid. This £20m upfront news means fuck all. £20m upfront as a first payment could potentially mean we can buy a £100m player over 5 years. It’s meaningless.

Prolly also an reason to why Lei didnt like it. They need alot of money now to be able to buy.

Just now, snakzz said:

How much did we pay for Pope up front?

Seems wierd to spend any of that money on him when we have Dubs and needed more improvement other places.

Doubt the money spent on Pope makes any difference at all to who else we can buy.