Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

4 minutes ago, snakzz said:

How much did we pay for Pope up front?

Seems wierd to spend any of that money on him when we have Dubs and needed more improvement other places.

£3m up front apparently. So, nothing much.

Edited by Abacus

Think our transfer strategy is opportunism at this point. If we can't get any of the targets from our list then it seems we're trying to play the market to stretch our money, exploit circumstances and punch above our weight in terms of what we can attract. That's how I see the Maddison bids, because he isn't exactly what we were looking for, he probably eats up our whole budget, and he might force a change in system to get the best out of him. But he is far above what a midtable side should be attracting, he's a safe bet and more or less guarantees goals or assists if he stays fit.

Opportunism isn't how the very top sides operate because they have the luxury of pinpointing players that fit their needs and system and usually get their man, but that didn't work out for us (Ekitike, Diaby, etc). That doesn't mean opportunism leads to failure though. You could say we got Trippier like that, exploiting the Howe connection and the lack of clubs needing a RB at that time. As we get to the end of the window, there'll be a lot of clubs trying to push surplus players, and some fringe players for national teams who aren't getting game time in a world cup year (Werner, Maddison etc). It will hopefully become a better market for opportunists with cash to spend, like us. Clearly it hasn't gone to plan since the Botman success and there's no point in dressing it up, but let's wait until September before we evaluate the window. Far from ideal but have a feeling we'll pull something off because it could become a buyer's market with the world cup coming up.

2 hours ago, Shearergol said:

And that's the point I'm making. They're all from when people paid top whack for what they thought were the best players in the world. We're being quoted those prices for the next level down. Even more likely to flop.

Jack Grealish has 18 goals and 19 assists in 122 premier league appearances.

James Maddison has 33 goals and 23 assists in 133.

It's likely that £50-60m would secure his signing, roughly half what was paid for Grealish, and that wouldn't make that list.

Grealish won’t ever get near “justifying” that price tag. I think it might always haunt him - in reality he shouldn’t be judged by it (although even ignoring the fee I’d say he’s not yet considered a prominent player there), but I think he’ll always be the hundred million pound man to some degree. I think he is a cracking attacking player and, for the sake of our national team, I hope it doesn’t ruin him. I concede it wouldn’t not be funny if it did ruin him mind

4 hours ago, KDT said:

Possibly, it could be that Cornet was a bit further down on the list of people they like and they didn't feel it was worth it in the end.

If reports are to be believed, we already tried to buy him in a structured deal, before our interests turned to Maddison. My guess is that it was too good a deal to refuse, but spending all that in one go restricts our chances of getting somebody else. That 17.5M might be the first instalment on Diaby, next summer. leaving Cornet a 17.5M surplus to requirements. 

Who the fuck knows what's going on. Just bring on the match and let's see where we are on 31st August.

6 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Grealish won’t ever get near “justifying” that price tag. I think it might always haunt him - in reality he shouldn’t be judged by it (although even ignoring the fee I’d say he’s not yet considered a prominent player there), but I think he’ll always be the hundred million pound man to some degree. I think he is a cracking attacking player and, for the sake of our national team, I hope it doesn’t ruin him. I concede it wouldn’t not be funny if it did ruin him mind

I've really gone off the lad. Probably his Miggy comment biasing me :lol:

Think he's talented, but mentally not the best and his attitude to drinking etc. suggests he won't deliver at the high levels City expect and demand. The Real Madrid missed chances a good example where a £100m player should deliver.

1 minute ago, hakka said:

I've really gone off the lad. Probably his Miggy comment biasing me :lol:

Think he's talented, but mentally not the best and his attitude to drinking etc. suggests he won't deliver at the high levels City expect and demand. The Real Madrid missed chances a good example where a £100m player should deliver.

Your post illustrates my point - I don’t mean that in a shitty way. “A £100m player” - I think it will haunt him. 

3 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

At some point (if we want to push into the champions league) 

we need to spend lots of money and bring in a lot more players ….budget or no budget 

teams don’t become successful and stay successful without spending big  …it’s a fact 

Stats don’t lie , check out the wages / club expenditures and see which teams finish higher 

So if we are looking to kick on (whenever that time maybe) …. We will have to compete with Man City / Real Madrid / Barcelona to get the best players 

if not ….they will continue to dominate 

Its not rocket science 

As it stands we have a long long way to go to get anywhere near that level 

As mentioned , they are in for the long haul 

Let’s enjoy it , starting tomorrow 

Hmm, rocket science. We're not in a position to fly to the next galaxy, just yet. This season is about maintaining orbit. Not much point spending our entire budget on one player that could win us the CL when we're nowhere near qualifying. This season is going to be pivotal, and I can empathise with the desire to get it right.

It's weird because everything seems at sixes and sevens. Our weakest position is RW, although I think Fraser and Almiron are adequate for this seasons ambitions, if we improved our CAM.

It seems Diaby was our main target, but he wasn't ready to come, but maybe next year? I think this might explain why we passed on the opportunity to sign Cornet, as he'd be unhappy to be dropped after 1 year.

I think this is why our attentions turned to Maddison. Somebody who can bring out the best in Almiron/Fraser, and compensate for the lack of goals. Then back in for Diaby next year.

Still harbouring a wish that we end up with Cannibaga for £40millionish.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Hmm, rocket science. We're not in a position to fly to the next galaxy, just yet. This season is about maintaining orbit. Not much point spending our entire budget on one player that could win us the CL when we're nowhere near qualifying. This season is going to be pivotal, and I can empathise with the desire to get it right.

It's weird because everything seems at sixes and sevens. Our weakest position is RW, although I think Fraser and Almiron are adequate for this seasons ambitions, if we improved our CAM.

It seems Diaby was our main target, but he wasn't ready to come, but maybe next year? I think this might explain why we passed on the opportunity to sign Cornet, as he'd be unhappy to be dropped after 1 year.

I think this is why our attentions turned to Maddison. Somebody who can bring out the best in Almiron/Fraser, and compensate for the lack of goals. Then back in for Diaby next year.

Still harbouring a wish that we end up with Cannibaga for £40millionish.

For the love of God, what is "Cannibaga" from? 

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

For the love of God, what is "Cannibaga" from? 

Someone flogging a dead horse to fuck over their own shite joke, hoping someone might like it the 1045th time.

2 hours ago, hakka said:

That sounds a lot more balanced framed that way. I just see the transfer window as something as an upward battle for us because we are not a top 6 side in Europe, and the Saudi tax slap on is also a battle. Plus we are trying overhaul our squad with many quality additions. That isn't easy as what you want isn't always available, they prefer other offers or we are being priced out and it's a large net spend for 2022 alone we are going for. Outgoings not generating funds either isn't helping.

So I'm more understanding and forgiving of the window as it's not easy to traverse. I'm not using what's happened so far to go extrapolate much detail around what we have to spend, why we are not overspending (other than common sense) etc. and seeing as January window delievered late on it is likely more signings will happen still yet this window.

I don't believe the bolded is a real thing.

I do think betting the entire priority transfer dealings on a 19/20 year old who has previously wanted to bide his time and explore his options without a decent back-up route - is a bit of mismanagement. Whether we got him or not.

I could've predicted we would struggle to generate funds for non-first team players because most of them are crap and are on relatively high wages for their talents. I actually assume they anticipated it would be difficult to shift players anyway and that was already factored into our incoming transfer policy.

Again, not the worst mistakes in the world. Most of these things were rolling pre-Ashworth.

Of course there's a Saudi tax and IMO it's one of the reasons we are being tight. I'm sure the initial asking price is higher for us than say Crystal Palace or Villa after all the 'the richest club in the world' headlines. We are trying to get rid of that image early on and it's absolutely the right thing to do.

Edited by Pata

5 hours ago, Shearergol said:

What does this prove? The market's gone fucking mental this year.

Well not many successes amongst the list. Most not with hindsight either. Spending big guarantees nothing if it’s the wrong player.

17 minutes ago, Pata said:

Of course there's a Saudi tax and IMO it's one of the reasons we are being tight. I'm sure the initial asking price is higher for us than say Crystal Palace or Villa after all the 'the richest club in the world' headlines. We are trying to get rid of that image early on and it's absolutely the right thing to do.

Yep. Clubs aren't going to facilitate our sportswashing project for free.

30 minutes ago, Pata said:

Where's the evidence of that?

I don't think JM for example would be sold for any less than £50m (probably higher) to any club. When we've seen the value we've been prepared to pay more than other clubs to secure our targets (Etikite, Botman, Bruno).

In the main - we have been after players that clubs don't want to sell and don't need to sell. So the selling price has been high. That's why we don't have the incomings.

Edited by The College Dropout

31 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Where's the evidence of that?

I don't think JM for example would be sold for any less than £50m (probably higher) to any club. When we've seen the value we've been prepared to pay more than other clubs to secure our targets (Etikite, Botman, Bruno).

In the main - we have been after players that clubs don't want to sell and don't need to sell. So the selling price has been high. That's why we don't have the incomings.

All three of those were/would have been from Ligue 1. PL is so far ahead of them financially that we can pay the asking price or even a little over to get the player we want and still get value. Much harder to do business domestically as every PL club is basically rich compared to teams in other leagues.

I'm not saying the Saudi tax is the only reason we are having troubles getting signings made. It's obvious we are going for players that a club with our status normally wouldn't and it's not easy to sign them for a midtable club especially when we are not paying over the odds.

Maddison wouldn't be sold cheaply to anyone but we saw an opportunity to sign a player who is way above our level right now due to Leicester's financial situation and him only having two years left on his contract.

Edited by Pata

Given our fleeting interest in January and the fact we're now looking at players to play in the "half space" on the right, I wonder if Paqueta has crossed their mind.

Great player and it would go down superbly with his cult.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Given our fleeting interest in January and the fact we're now looking at players to play in the "half space" on the right, I wonder if Paqueta has crossed their mind.

Great player and it would go down superbly with his cult.

Who?

Based on nothing (although we have been linked) I think Werner is our number one target. We ideally want 2 attacking players in, but he alone could allow us to just get one more in as he can cover the front 3.