Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: he literally provides an entirely different reason to the budget. 

He literally saying we don’t have much money left for this window. Something the journos have been saying for weeks and people just posting they know fuck all or why would the club say that. 

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, gdm said:

He literally saying we don’t have much money. 

And he basically says ‘we don’t have money to play with….yet’

Which I think is a nod to needing the big sponsorships in due to FFP 

Just now, LV said:

And he basically says ‘we don’t have money to play with….yet’

Which I think is a nod to needing the big sponsorships in due to FFP 

Yes, I’ve Absolutey no doubt the money will come eventually. 

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Urgh, fine, I missed that - you quoted his comments about players wanting to go elsewhere!

Anyway, it's just consistent with what he's been saying all along. He was saying that before we dropped ~£55million on Pope/Targett/Botman.

We're not hard up, we just don't have an unlimited budget. 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

He's not exactly going to be say "FFP? Nah, we're fucking loaded".

FFP is obviously a factor and we won't go berserk, buy January proved the cash is there if a player we like becomes available.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Urgh, fine, I missed that - you quoted his comments about players wanting to go elsewhere!

Anyway, it's just consistent with what he's been saying all along. He was saying that before we dropped ~£55million on Pope/Targett/Botman.

We're not hard up, we just don't have an unlimited budget. 

Did I? Sorry just have misquoted the wrong one. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

He's not exactly going to be say "FFP? Nah, we're fucking loaded".

FFP is obviously a factor and we won't go berserk, buy January proved the cash is there if a player we like becomes available.

Jesus Christ man :lol: read between the lines. Believe what the man is saying. It’s what we’ve been told all summer. Now he is saying Maxi & Joelinton can cover up front. 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Jesus Christ man :lol: read between the lines. Believe what the man is saying. It’s what we’ve been told all summer. Now he is saying Maxi & Joelinton can cover up front. 

It's been the party line since November.

I just don't get why people are so desperate to make premature conclusions. Unless you think the entire thing is a lie, and we're in fact not trying to strengthen the squad, the only time to assess our business is on the 2nd September.

If you think we've done poorly in not signing an attacker by Game 1/2/3/4/5, then fair enough (I don't agree, but it's a rational view); but to cast aspersions about our transfer policy or our mechanisms or the budget - when the cake is still in the oven ( @Kanji), is a bit mad. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with our approach and, if it is true that we only have a small budget available, so what? We are quite clearly going to strengthen before the end of the transfer window. People just need to calm the fuck down. Look at how far we've come.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with our approach and, if it is true that we only have a small budget available, so what? We are quite clearly going to strengthen before the end of the transfer window. People just need to calm the fuck down. Look at how far we've come.

I agree, it’s FFP and there isn’t much we can do about it. I think we’ll work clever and bring in one player that can play across the front 3, then we see what we can do in January 

The loan market will more than likely open up in the last week of the window as well. Players who aren’t currently available will be, I’m certain we will bring in at least one loan player. (Hopefully Werner)

57 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Yet none of those ten most expensive transfers are from this year.

And that's the point I'm making. They're all from when people paid top whack for what they thought were the best players in the world. We're being quoted those prices for the next level down. Even more likely to flop.

3 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Moving our best winger or arguably our most important midfielder up front doesn't sound convincing to me like, but hey ho. 

Those comments are just insurance, tbh; it's very clear he doesn't rate either as a CF option as demonstrated by the Wood panic buy. There is a scenario where our strikers are unavailable and there's no like-for-like cover; if that comes to pass and he's already said "we're fucked if that happens," the pressure is instantly heaped onto whichever poor sod has to fill the gap. 

Just typical pragmatism in front of the reporters.

32 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

I bet Chris Wood feels good …not even mentioned 🤔

I think it's fairly obvious that it's accepted Wood is going to be playing a lot this season. Joelinton and ASM are the backups for Wilson and Wood.

Who here claimed we could finish top 6? :lol:

Howe on signings and Newcastle's striker hunt: "Hopefully you can see what I tried to tell you at the end of last season was the truth. FFP will impact us for a number of years. We're not in a position to pay wages or fees some people think. We have to be creative & smart.

"We're in a position where if any player gets injured, we'll be stretched. But in that area, yes, we do have players who can stand up in [Allan] Saint-Maximin & Joelinton."

Howe on Sean Longstaff and his role this season: "I'm looking for a big season from him. Since I've started working with him I've seen someone who is committed to becoming the best player he can be. Every day in training he gives everything - he loves the club. He's got a big part to play."

Howe on Sven Botman: "I think he's ready to play. I've seen him during pre-season and what a talent he is. I think he's going to be everything we hoped he would be. He's technically very good, very strong and very good defensively.

"We look at every player individually and try to make the right call for them and the team so what I do with Sven you'll find out but I've been very pleased with the signing."

Howe on injuries: "Jonjo [Shelvey] is in London tonight for another assessment so we don't have a clear, defined timeframe on his injury. Jamal Lewis and Federico Fernández are working their way and shouldn't be too long. [Javi] Manquillo is back in training too so we're not too bad."

Eddie Howe has been speaking ahead of Newcastle's Premier League opener against Nottingham Forest: "That excitement is there but it's important for the players to be cool, calm and collected and thinking about the things we need to do to perform. I think if you get overhyped, that's a negative."

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Joelinton back up front petrifies me to be honest :lol:

I think he's such a different person/footballer to what he was before that it might not be the worst thing in the world, now. He's obviously crucial to our midfield but ASM is equally crucial to our wing play. Joe would be my preference at CF if we were pressed into sticking a square peg in a round hole. It's not like he'd be any less potent than one of the two strikers he'd be filling in for.

Staggering to think he played two seasons up front. :lol: