Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Quality of "links" has been poor so far. Hoping for better.

Starting to fear the worst. I believe we are trying, but with nothing showing up, Howe saying Shelvey going nowhere, no one else (bar Darlow) looking like leaving, and the clock ticking towards some sort of 11th hour scramble, it might well be one in (at best) and perhaps nowhere near their first choice. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Has anyone told Eddie that he doesn't need to turn water into wine and that we can just buy wine? :lol:

According to Alex Crook, it's Ashworth leading the Antony Gordon links, so its not just Eddie. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He’s another one that is perfect for our midfield as it is, but we need creativity as an option, not competition for Longstaff.

We need to be looking at quality first team players together with up and coming future players. Members of the current first team will then become more squad players. We definitely should not be looking at bringing in players like McTominay if we really want to take the next step up. 

Hopefully McTominay and Gordon are just smokescreens while we are actually looking at players with real quality, such as Maddison and Diaby as mentioned above. The former are hardly going to excite the fans and give everyone a lift, whereas the latter 2 certainly would.

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Has there ever been any confirmed cases of a team going for a player or whatever as a “smokescreen” for another? It keep getting said but does it actually ever happen?

I'm still waiting for us to sign Chris Sutton after we only bought Ruel Fox from Norwich to get him through the door

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Has there ever been any confirmed cases of a team going for a player or whatever as a “smokescreen” for another? It keep getting said but does it actually ever happen?

There was an inverted one where we went for George Weah and got Ginola instead. 

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Loads during the Ashley era, but the smokescreen was to cover up that we weren't going for anyone.

The club really has to get a CM and versatile forward in this window - anything less would be poor, imo, and I'm someone who thinks they've not really put a bad foot forward so far.

I'm all for trying to get the right player in but having 'a small pool of players we like' sounds a bit odd, in all honesty, considering the thousands of options out there. The likes of Brighton have shown you can make really good buys in less obvious markets when you might not think they're 'PL ready'. If we can't improve the first team then we need to improve the squad this window.

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Mctominay and Gordon don’t even start for us imo.

Mctominay under Howe and regular games is better than Longstaff in most ways. 

i still think people overrate Longstaff who is a very limited football player imo. Wouldn’t want Mctominay though.

Edited by Ikon

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Mctominay under Howe and regular games is better than Longstaff in most ways. 

i still think people overrate Longstaff. 

I don’t overrate Longstaff, Mctominay just isn’t very good.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I don’t overrate Longstaff, Mctominay just isn’t very good.

I agree that he isn’t very good. But better than Longstaff is if we actually signed him and he got regular games and built his belief up. Imo 

Edited by Ikon

Whilst I don't doubt he improves the squad and possibly the first XI, I don't think McTominay takes us to where we want to be. For that reason I think it's a pointless signing, we'll just need to upgrade him again in a year or so.

Gordon I feel similarly about, but at least he's got age on his side and has been playing under a shit manager so maybe he's better than he's been showing and could come good.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

They do know we are good now and can bid for good players ?

Yes, of course, because the manager himself doesn't know what players are good for his own team. The way some folks are carrying on man. Yikes.

Everyone on here was losing their minds over getting Paqueta over the summer, and look at the state of him at West Ham. I don't understand why so many think they know what a good player even is.

Just now, KaKa said:

Yes, of course, because the manager himself doesn't know what players are good for his own team. The way some folks are carrying on man. Yikes.

Everyone on here was losing their minds over getting Paqueta over the summer, and look at the state of him at West Ham. I don't understand why so many think they know what a good player even is.

Paqueta is a good player. Just not suited to the way West Ham play and perhaps struggling with the intensity and speed of the premier league. 

Just now, KaKa said:

Kaka, you speak about people losing their minds left right and centre. You seem to lose your mind left right and centre over very small or nothing kind of things. Don’t get hung up so often on basically nothing.