Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Find it a little strange that so many people think Maddison is coming this window. Thought it was fairly common knowledge he was going to wait until the summer and pick the best option for himself when he knows for certain which team can offer him. ECL being his priority.

22 minutes ago, Memphis said:

Purely based on my interpretation of what has been said and written about this window, it seems to me that there's a mild disagreement between Howe and Ashworth/PIF about the necessity of signings this window - outside of replacing Wood, that is. 

It's a tricky dilemma because obviously finishing Top 4 would be a gamechanger for the project, but would anything realistic we do this window make a substantial difference in that pursuit? Perhaps from Ashworth's perspective, the answer is no...because outside of an obviously incredible signing, which I've no doubt we would do, it's hard to make the argument in his mind that a single player (or two) will be the difference between 4th and 5th. And until we have the certainty of improved revenues, that signing represents a higher FFP risk for us.

In the summer, everything changes. Different market, different planning, different FFP calculation due to new commercial deals coming on board.

Howe clearly wants some fresh faces. And personally, I would argue that fatigue is starting to set in and we're going to have to be careful about squad fitness. I think signings would be valuable. But it's hard even for me to make the argument that the names mentioned would make a vital difference in our league position come May.

I think the bolded part is key. It's why I think a couple of signings of similar quality to our first team could still make a big contribution. And this season may well not be the same as next season, in terms of teams like Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham being at 6s and 7s. So I would like to press home the advantage where possible.

1 minute ago, PauloGeordio said:

I think Maddison & Gordon bought now would barring anymore injuries. 

And that’s the thing, if one of Trips, Schar or Botman go down for a significant amount of time it really could be a game changer. Bruno/Joe as well to a slightly lesser extent.

It's our style of play isn't it? We play the pressing game and players do a lot of work. The amount of games we have played, even with the cup run, seems fairly average but the intensity of the style we play may lead to this fatigue.

If I remember correctly, in the early Klopp days, Liverpool players faded as the season went on such was the style they had earlier on in the season.

It is quite frightening that what we have on the pitch right now is mostly our 1st choice players. It's not like we have someone out injured who is going to slot straight back into the lineup. So I guess, any players that do come in, needs to be ready to play the way we do and that's probably the hardest part, identifying the correct type of player to sign.

Edited by nufcjb

Maybe PIF's ambitions don't car as far as manipulating FFP and boosting our coffers with connected sponsorships like City managed to do. Our turnover and commercial income remains mid-table level and miles off the big six. After spending relatively heavily last year, could it be our budget is very tight this January?

27 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Find it a little strange that so many people think Maddison is coming this window. Thought it was fairly common knowledge he was going to wait until the summer and pick the best option for himself when he knows for certain which team can offer him. ECL being his priority.

Maddison is the new Paqueta.

22 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

I must agree. We have always struggled with injuries. We have been very lucky lately mind.

Lads also looked tired v Southampton. Rotation is needed soon

We don’t struggle as much with injuries when we have proper coaches!  Rafa didn’t have as many issues as our PFM managers. 
We are looking tired nowadays though. To be expected due to lack of squad rotation options. 

24 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, that's true. I was more talking about the endless longing for both ;D

Not very surprising really because we have been/are in need of quality players. Maddison for example, why not longing for him until it’s done or over. Think most folks know that it won’t happen in January though.  Also what football is an about too, wishing for improvement. Some people get to really like a player for various reasons. I was the same with Kluivert to name one. Even if to a much bigger degree than anyone has been for Paqueta or Maddison. 

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Not very surprising really because we have been/are in need of quality players. Maddison for example, why not longing for him until it’s done or over. Think most folks know that it won’t happen in January though. 

It's understandable for sure, and we will definitely eventually get one of those types or a DM that allows Bruno to step into that type of role higher up the pitch. Like you say January is just a tough time to manage getting a top quality player for fair value. Getting Bruno this time last year was a small miracle to be honest.

A guy we were linked with earlier in the window that would have been an alternative to a Maddison/Paqueta, was Lovro Majer at Rennes, but that rumour faded away without any further news. He would have been a great addition, and a similar sort of player to those two.

2 hours ago, Memphis said:

Purely based on my interpretation of what has been said and written about this window, it seems to me that there's a mild disagreement between Howe and Ashworth/PIF about the necessity of signings this window - outside of replacing Wood, that is. 

It's a tricky dilemma because obviously finishing Top 4 would be a gamechanger for the project, but would anything realistic we do this window make a substantial difference in that pursuit? Perhaps from Ashworth's perspective, the answer is no...because outside of an obviously incredible signing, which I've no doubt we would do, it's hard to make the argument in his mind that a single player (or two) will be the difference between 4th and 5th. And until we have the certainty of improved revenues, that signing represents a higher FFP risk for us.

In the summer, everything changes. Different market, different planning, different FFP calculation due to new commercial deals coming on board.

Howe clearly wants some fresh faces. And personally, I would argue that fatigue is starting to set in and we're going to have to be careful about squad fitness. I think signings would be valuable. But it's hard even for me to make the argument that the names mentioned would make a vital difference in our league position come May.

This has been the disconnect all January IMO. There isn't anyone we can buy that cements a top 4 position. Certain players could improve our odds, but our first XI will still be prone to injury and even if we stay healthy it wouldn't take much to fall to 5th. So we can't responsibly make any moves that factor in CL revenue. We could safely make a move or two that assumes some European revenue, but that's a big difference. 

If we qualify for the Champions League the summer is going to be ridiculous because of the unexpected revenue and the level of player we could attract. That said, I certainly hope we bring in at least one and ideally two in the next few days because I assume we had something budgeted for January, we could presumably push the boat out a little bit based on future Europa League money, and shipping Wood out was a nice surprise (though this too is likely being misconstrued depending on the exact terms because he could be back on our books in June).

Wonder if we have any chance of nabbing Harry Kane in the summer if he decides to leave Spurs? Bayern might appeal to him a lot as he will undoubtedly win a few trophies there if he stayed for a few years. But as a family man my guess would be he would prefer to stay in England and the Premier League. He's an absolutely superb player and one that doesn't get given the credit he deserves by some for some strange reason. The only striker in world football that has his all round game is Benzema. Kane could also play off Isak as he would be just as good in a number 10 role as number 9 due to his qualities. 

Edited by Tyler

2 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Wonder if we have any chance of nabbing Harry Kane in the summer if he decides to leave Spurs? Bayern might appeal to him a lot as he will undoubtedly win a few trophies there if he stayed for a few years. But as a family man my guess would be he would prefer to stay in England and the Premier League. He's an absolutely superb player and one that doesn't get given the credit he deserves by some for some strange reason. The only striker in world football that has his all round game is Benzema. Kane could also play off Isak as he would be just as good in a number 10 role as number 9 due to his qualities. 

Would love him, but genuinely…Why would he leave Spurs to come to us? 

Kane would be mad to leave the prem, he’s chasing down Shearer’s all time scorer record. As to if he would come to us…Seems unlikely on the face of it but Man City is a no go and no one else guarantees trophies. Man Utd is the obvious one I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Would love him, but genuinely…Why would he leave Spurs to come to us? 

Maybe just a change of scenery, something fresh? If we can win the Carabao (I know it's a minor competition but no doubt he would love to win it with Spurs) and finish in the top 4, and make some top signings, maybe that will be enough for him to think that there's a better chance of winning something with us than them, and also gives him the chance to continue scoring goals in the PL and chase records. 

As brilliant as he is I don't think there will be many options for him for a few reasons outside of United and Bayern. I'm sure Chelsea and Potter would love him but that will never happen.

Edited by Tyler